Would you name your son after yourself?

What name would you choose?

• Total voters
We did not. Although I gave him my name as the middle name. Connor David Winchell

You can probably guess my answer when I say I was the one who broke the "family tradition" by not naming one of my sons Thomas IV. I'm Thomas, my father is Thomas, and his father was Thomas. I had no desire to pass it down. What I did do was name my oldest after my grandfather (my mother's father), who was (and continues to be) the greatest man I ever knew. Wife agreed to name him Dominick because she could call him Nick ... but my son refuses to go by anything other than his full name, which brings back fond memories every time I say his name. The closest we got to passing down the name "Thomas" was that my wife insisted (since I got to name the first child) on using Thomas as a middle name for our second (and youngest), which seemed like a decent enough compromise to avoid it as a first name.

My son has my initials. That was as close to naming him after me as I was willing to do.

I’m in a different situation with a super vanilla name (David White). My wife had a unique surname and doesn’t like the Joe Smith-like blandness. And I don’t have any particular desire to name a future son after me, so we will not be going in that direction.

Just my experience, my Dad hated being "little Dave", so he named me Dwight David. That was a problem for my Democratic grandmother who wouldn't use my name and called me Bub. I am not into legacy names unless you remove yourself and go generations back.

Lincoln Roosevelt. I know the name isn’t related to this but I love the tie in two (or three) of our nation’s most historic presidents.

Last edited:
Yes! That is all

I’m in a different situation with a super vanilla name (David White). My wife had a unique surname and doesn’t like the Joe Smith-like blandness. And I don’t have any particular desire to name a future son after me, so we will not be going in that direction.

Willard White from James Bond film Diamonds Are Forever
Willard_Whyte_-_Profile.png

No way in hell but I am named after cheese!

I understand the wanting to name after yourself and/or having the initials. My dad's side of the family the firstborn "heir" was named after the father, I missed that thank goodness. On my wife's side, her dad's name is part of a weird tradition where it skips a generation.

I gave my firstborn my middle name which was my grandfather's first name. My son's middle name is after his grandfather. Our second Son was also given a first name after one grandfather and a middle name after another. (lots of step parents on both sides)

So, my wife and I just had a virtual baby shower through Zoom and Facebook live. During the party, we announced that we decided to name our son, James Bernard Cobb IV. The more we thought about it, the more we wanted to continue the tradition.

No, I did not name either of my sons after me ... my name rhymes and I did not want to do that to them.

As to your names, I can't help. I'm not a big believer in III or IV or Junior (I am a Jr) and I'm not a native of the South. The names sound regional. I went with generic Michael and Jeffrey.

Last edited:
Nate Dawg was always a contender if things played out differently.
You would have to follow him around constantly with Regulator playing on a loop!

I wouldn't but my wife decided to give our youngest daughter the female version(Erika) of my name and I wasn't about to argue with her being 8 months pregnant.:)

No, I did not name either of my sons after me ... my name rhymes and I did not want to do that to them.

As to your names, I can't help. I'm not a big believer in III or IV or Junior (I am a Jr) and I'm not a native of the South. The names sound regional. I went with generic Michael and Jeffrey.

But of the three, wow, it's gotta be Jackson Beau ... Have a friend who named one of her boys, Jackson. They live in the South. Must be a thing. Strong name.

I wouldn't but my wife decided to give our youngest daughter the female version(Erika) of my name and I wasn't about to argue with her being 8 months pregnant.:)
Smart man!

Back