Would you name your son after yourself?

What name would you choose?

• Total voters
To answer the question in the thread title: no

of the three poll options, I’ll abstain - even though you asked I feel it’s a deeply personal decision.

Best answer and I agree. Besides, I couldn't put my son through life hearing "Polo" every time he heard Marco.

I truly appreciate the lineage of naming and I'd vote to continue the legacy.

As for me, yes, I would name my son after me. But as fate would have it, any desire to do so, at least wrt first born, was extinguished when I was 10 yrs old when I lost my 15 yr old cousin, and my forever hero, to leukemia.

On the very day of his loss, as just a child, I told my mom that my first born son would be named Sean Michael.

Always held true to my wishes and my wife didn't hesitate for even a second in sharing my nearly lifelong desire to honor my cousin (yeah, we discussed it prior but her agreement, even back then, was instant). We had a boy, then a girl. Then, done.

I have my Sean Michael as that was my cousin's first and middle names (we also share the last so my son shares my, our, cousin's full name), the fact that I'm William Michael is just a coincidence as to middle name, but I take a degree of solace, and maybe even pride, in that just the same.

I couldn't ever imagine having a son or sons without one being named Sean. But still the same, I'm fine without a William.

But a little Billy wouldn't have been so bad had we had another boy.

As an aside, my wife and I elected to learn the sex of the baby prior to birth. We wouldn't have ever done this if not for the fact what I wanted to get my Uncle's blessing prior.

His son was lost, it was entirely his say as far as I was concerned (his wife, my Aunt Nickie had years earlier succumbed to the same strain of leukemia that took Sean. A maternal strain. It ultimately took Sean's brother Vinny, just last year ).

I didn't want to ask without knowing, stir up those emotions, only to (still an equal blessing) have a girl and say... "nevermind!"

He was stunned by my heartfelt yet carefully articulated reverence and eagerly offered his blessing (and emotional gratitude. It was truly a great life moment that I'll cherish forever).

Following, I couldn't help but imagine what it may have meant to our loved ones, as individuals and those who loved them, to be honored similarly.

My cousin Sean didn't live life long enough to enjoy the wonder of having his own child, let alone one sharing his namesake.

I'll be forever proud that my son is essentially his namesake. He represents a beloved family member who was a better person at 15 than I could ever be over a multitude of lifetimes. Amazingly, and not just me talking, my son exhibits an eerie amount of characteristics similar to our cousin. I love that.

LOL... so yeah, I vote for IV!!!!

Last edited:
I would not, but if I had a III after my name I would. If it was that important to my dad and granddad then that's a good enough reason IMO.

Hell no! I would not want my kid to be referred to as "junior"! I went Lincoln cause Link would be a cool call name.

No, Jews don't do this.
Usually we name after dead relatives but can also be their Hebrew name.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a Jr, He has a 3rd....I'd very much respect if the 3rd who is only 8....at some point had a son and named him the 4th.

Grandfather, dad and myself share the same name. I would not have named my son after myself or them. No particular reason ..... just wasn’t going to do it. Prior to the birth of our child my parents lobbied for the name if it was a boy. It was a girl! Crisis averted

I didn't vote because I think its just too personal. We did not name my son after myself. I didn't want to and he has a twin sister so their names kind of flow together. Looking back each of our kids have the right names. Yours will too.

I’m disappointed Mike isn’t on the list.

My family definitely includes family names. My middle name is Thomas and my dads was too but he went by Tom. He went by Tom but shared a first name with his dad.

My first Cousin was a 2nd but went by his middle name. His son is a 3rd and goes by Trey.

My uncle is a Junior. But goes by a nickname.

My daughter has the same middle name as my Mom and Grandma who goes by Sue.

Had we had a boy he was going to be James (really like the name) Henry Alpha (my grandpa on my Mom's side.) He was going to go by Henry. I probably would have called him Hank.

Agree that it is totally a personal decision but I would choose between A/C

FWIW, my wife and I favored a different name than mine, but since we had all girls it never got used, nor a need to pick a different name. My parents seriously considered giving me my dad's name, but chose to give me his middle name instead.

Whatever you do, don't be one of those parents who think you are going to gift the world with a new spelling for a well-known name for your child. Don't burden him with that. I see from your choices, you've already avoided this egregious error.

My parents gave me the same initials as my dad, so I carried that tradition on with my son. I personally prefer that over the same name. On my moms side of the family there are about ten George's. Too much having to describe them Big George, little George, George E, Georgie, AAAAHHHHHHH.

I wouldn't name my son after me, but if it were some kind of tradition in my family, I probably would.

In my mom's family for years, the oldest son was named Joseph, but went by his middle name. I paid homage to that by giving my son the middle name of Joseph. I like the idea of it connecting him to his ancestors.

I was named after my father, hence I am a Jr.
I would have had no problem naming my son after myself if I would have had one.

Never, having worked in banking. I have seen just in that area the problems it can cause. Both accidental and intentional.

My mom wanted to name me after her grandfather, and I would have loved having that name over the one I ended up with.
Otherwise, I would have been the "3rd" if named after dad. That would have been golf appropriate anyway!

Presidential/political names? Avoid. And avoid again. (n)
I vote for carrying the lineage, and he'll go by a nickname anyway like you do. (y)

I have no problem with it, but it isn't something that I want to do.

We named our son after me, however the reasoning was a bit different. Until we had our son, I was the end of the male bloodline in our family.

My older brother was named after my Dad. I don't think it's a matter of 'explaining' it doesn't mean anything to other children - they'll likely feel it does have some significance (if not immediately, down the road). I don't know that I overtly had feelings that my brother was somehow 'more special' or 'preferred' over myself. I think sons who are named after their fathers tend to be the first-born, and that probably also plays into perceptions of not mattering as much to a parent. Everything is a 'first' with the first-born by default, and therefore, can't help but be a little more special no matter how much parents work to ensure the kids that follow are equally loved. Anyway, just my opinion - if you want to do it, there are certainly plenty of fathers that do, but I'd suggest it's not the name that creates a legacy, it's what all of our kids learn from us and how we make them feel as they grow up. I don't think it's worth even the potential of making other kids feel less special.

Go outside onto your porch. Yell the name as loud as you can. See how it sounds. Imagine you're calling him in from playing.:D

My daughter has a variation of my first name. She doesn't like me. We don't see eye to eye. Political differences.
My son was named by his mother. His middle name is her father's first name.

If you're set on having a 4th in the name line, go for it.
If you're wanting him to have the initials JBC, just name him Jay Bee.(y)

I really like the name Jackson. No one in my family has it, but I truly like it.

My son is Patrick Joseph O'Hara IV and he's half-Mexican! I asked him if he'd name his son PJO V if he had one and he said "well I guess I'll have to!:. lol

My son is Patrick Joseph O'Hara IV and he's half-Mexican! I asked him if he'd name his son PJO V if he had one and he said "well I guess I'll have to!:. lol
Do you call him cuatro?:unsure:

To answer the thread title question: nope, just doesn't appeal to me.

Keeping the initials is a cool compromise if you end up not going with IV.

Back