Would You Play Better if Golf Were Longer/Shorter?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
What if a round of golf were 24 holes? What about 12 holes?

I was thinking about this the other day as I was carrying my bag up a friggin' mountain. I have the tendency to not really warm up, which leads to the first few holes not being played very well. I often find my swing on the back 9 and string together a series of holes that make for a good total score.

As I was climbing the mountain the other day, with a 6 pack of beer in my bag (and probably another 6 in my belly) I wondered if I were approaching the last two holes (rather than starting the back 9) would I be satisfied with my round.

Later that morning, As I flushed a perfect tee shot to 2 ft on the par 3 17th, I sat there wishing I had another 6 or 7 holes to play - I was really getting it going.

I'm rambling now.

So what do you think? Is 18 the perfect number? Would you have a better handicap (or however else you gauge your skill) if you had more or less in a given round?

I’m pretty happy with the 9/18 combo. I also make sure to warm up as best I can based on the day and circumstances (facilities available).

I do agree though that sometimes it takes a hole or two to start “feeling it”.

I’m not completely opposed to trying out different length courses though! Playing 12 or 24 could be interesting. You’d just have to budget enough time to get the round in. Again, not something I worry about since golf is a relaxing escape for me.

A couple months ago I would have said yes. 20 holes, 24, whatever and I'd score better. I had a consistent scoring pattern late in rounds. That has done a complete 180 though and I'm all about the blistering start lately. So I have no idea. Your round sounds fun though. Nothing better than wishing you had a few more to play!

First of all, if I'm taking a six pack of beers out for 18 holes, I sure as heck ain't carrying the bag with them in it. That's what caddies are for.

For a recreational golfer like myself, I am often in a similar position. Warm up usually consists of a couple of stretches followed by a couple half-swings with two irons. I think it really depends on the day (some may say luck) as sometimes I'm money right from the first tee to the 18th, others it might take a couple of holes to find the groove, and then on the really common days it never comes.

What I can say is that if you're playing a really beautiful course (say Arcadia Bluffs) once you roll around to the 15th or 16th holes you're usually wanting a couple more. If, on the other hand it's been drizzling for the last 45 minutes I'd be okay with a 12 hole track.

12 would be perfect. I really enjoy 9 hole rounds. I wouldn’t mind using the first three holes as warmup.

Well I played 72 holes last year, and peaked in the third round so maybe I should say 54 lol. In general though, the longer the better for me - especially with covid golf where I don't get to warm up.

18 holes is a good golf number, as is the half way number being 9 holes.

24 holes would take too long, even for me. 12 holes wouldn't be enough.

If anything, I might go along with 3, six hole layouts. This, with each 6th hole returning to the club house.

I think maybe 16 although the after work rounds cut down wouldn't be good for the enjoyment. Tough as 9 and 18 is fun

I've always thought 12 is the right number. I am not done after 9. But by 13 or 14 my back is pretty tight. I am always done by 15-16 and mail in the last 2 wholes. 12 or 14 would be perfect for me. I think 12 would attract more people to the game. If a slow weekend round was 2:45 instead of 4:30-5 more people would be interested in my opinion.

I have to hit range before I play, i have to. If I hit no range the front nine is what it is.. I cant tell you how many times I played 18 and said ok that was warm up let’s get to the next 18.

Although 18 is as strange and arbitrary a number as any to come up with, it feels about right to me - probably largely because it's what we've been conditioned to consider as a normal round. Any longer and it would start to drag on, any shorter and I feel cheated. Once in a while if the course isn't busy and I don't have anything else to do, I'll stay out and play a few extra holes just for the fun of it. I've played 36 in a day before, but it's not something I would do on the regular.

9 never feels like enough to me on the rare occasions I do it. It's just a tease. I'll take it if it's all I have time to slip in, because any golf is better than no golf, but it usually leaves me unsatisfied.

It does not matter to us. We play 18 and the number of holes is fine. However some days the pace of play is rediculously slow we just cut off the days play and go home. There are days when we would like to play more and all we have to do is go back to number one and wait to tee off again. We no longer post scores so it does not matter how many holes we play or don't play.

seeing as how I usually double the first hole every time I play, no I don't think so haha

but I do think golf should have the option to be shorter. 3 6-hole courses instead of two 9-hole courses.

I'm with you, tend to start out slowly and around hole 6 I "get well". I hit balls before playing, but still seem to start out of synch most rounds. Not sure I have energy to go more holes though

I almost always score better on the 3rd or 4th 9 when I play 27 or 36 which is one of the reasons I like playing extra holes.

I'm fine with the 9 & 18 hole setup. 9 holes can fly by and leave me wanting more. My older buddies will say 14-15 is enough, they are dragging a bit by 18. My ending holes usually have better scores. I don't know if its a finally loose or a focus thing but 16-18 at our home course I usually have a lot of confidence. #15 is wild downhill par 5 thru the woods. It is prone to some terrible backups, 3 groups deep sometimes on the tee box. If you can handle it, it can be a nice mental break, drink a beer or whatever.

I like 27 on vacation. Morning 18 with a buddy, afternoon 9 with wives (mine & buddy's, I don't have multiple). We still play a gauntlet 36 in August when its near peak temperature. For a group of guys all staring at 50 in a few years it can be a test. I've always done well in the 2nd 18...

I love the idea of 3 separate 6 hole layouts at a course. I think it would allow for flexability for a number of golfers to be able to play the 'just right' amount of golf for them, whatever that number happens to be. I think it would possibly get more people to the course because rounds could be shorter if time is a constraint but still have the 'proper' number of golf holes for the more traditionalists out there.

For myself, I like playing at least 18. There are many days where that will turn into at least 27 or 36. But if I'm struggling with my game even 3 holes can seem like an eternity!

9-18-27-36-45-54-72 are all perfect number of holes.

18 holes is 18 holes....if you play 9/9, 6/6/6 or 3/3/3/3/3...or even 17/1. idk.

I dunno. In the summer months (and late spring through early autumn) when the temps are crazy high, 18 is about the limit before I start dragging. I'd have to do a thorough review of my hole by hole scores, but my guess is it wouldn't make much difference to go to 12 holes.

Depends on the day. Some days 18 is perfect, others my back tightens up & am frustrated by the 15th & some days 18 is not enough & I want to keep going.

My best holes are usually the middle 12 or so. I like the 9/18 setup and would not want to change it.

Nope. I don’t think it would make a difference for me - I am what I am.

I'd play better if I balanced my life better.

Back