Would you play without a fairway wood?

Currently go D, 3H, then 5i, etc. As a minimalist, I optimize what I carry and find the 3H is a little more versatile than my 5W and nearly as long. When the driver is acting up, the 3W makes the starting rotation.

No. I am better with FWs than hybrids.

i do like my 5w a lot but i probably should drop fairways all together. i’m just so inconsistent with them, and my misses get me in more trouble than any other club in the bag.

Haven't used a fairway wood in a long time...of I'm forced to use a "wood" almost always is a hybrid.

If there’s one club in my bag I HAD to get ride of, it would probably be my fairway wood. On average I probably hit it twice a round.

I currently don't have a fairway in my bag. Not because I don't want one, but because my old one doesn't suit the other clubs in my bag (club weight/flex etc.) I do miss the 3 wood though.

I've done it a lot, and even though I'm carrying more FWs then ever right now, totally could again. Driver, Pro 2H in the Mavriks would have me covered, and in my other bag I could just skip right to the UDI. On a rare occasion I would miss one of them, but mostly for the fun of a shot I could've tried. For scoring, near zero impact.

If you hit a 2H well compared to FW, that's a no brainier, imo.

I'm much better with fairways than hybrids. The one way it might work for me is if I played superhybrids as those worked well in testing.

I did. Until I discovered the heavenwood. That is the only fairway wood I feel comfortable with.

I am hit and miss with fairways. Have only owned 2 which I could say I was confident in. Hybrids are more friendly for my game. If this one I have in my bag now misfires I may go the same route

Driver is the only non-iron in my bag for quite some time now. If your gapping, tighter longer holes, and long approach isn't an issue, have fun with it.

I have zero success hitting a 3H or lower with any consistency. Ask me to hit a 3w off the deck and stop it quickly into a green, sure. Hit anything other than a bullet hybrid? Can't do it. No idea how or why, but God I suck at it.

I would not, but I hit my fairway wood well. If you seem more consistent with a hybrid then go for it though. No one should carry a club they can't/don't use IMO.

I struggle with really low lofted hybrids, so unless I could find one that I could really bullet out there about 220 or so then I'm sticking with the FW. I had thought about the Callaway Super Hybrid this year, but with the new Cobra bag I think I'm completely set for the coming season.

I have considered taking my 3W out the bag several times. I won’t now because I just got a new one thanks to THP! I don’t use it a lot though. When I first started it playing I did because I hit drives so short but now I don’t really have that problem. I am actually probably going to add a 5W as I do find myself on some par5s needing something less then a 3W but more then my next club and I am not that good with a 3H

I could but wouldn't be happy about it. My 3w and 5w are my like security blankets.

I wonder if fairways just like any other club simply requires a certain level of practice. I notice that since I have forced myself to use them more I am doing better with them. Not nearly as good as I need to, but practice is making a difference. I really don't think I could hit a hybrid any better.

No, and I say that because I've got a 3W and 7W and I've never hit a hybrid. I'll stick with what I know for now.

I currently carry an 18* and 20* hybrid along with my 3 wood. My 18* hybrid is my 220 club and can reach 240 if I go for it. I have considered pulling the 3 wood and add a 23* or 25* to the bag to give me more options since 245-250 is the most I can get from the 3 wood of the turf.

I sort of do already. My 4-5 wood is the Cobra baffler F6 so it's kind of a cross between a fw and a hyb. 41.5" and adjustable from 16-19 degrees

0% chance for me

I tend to have much more consistency with my hybrids over my fairway woods so very much thinking about dumping my fairway woods for a 2h, 4h, 5h or 2h, 3h, 4h setup.

My bag would look like:

Driver
2h, 3h, 4h
5-9 irons
PW, 50, 55, 60
Putter

I'm really liking this setup for consistency and for gapping

My bag

Driver
16*, 19*, 22* hybrids
5-PW
52* 56*64* wedges
Putter

I haven't used a fairway wood in the last 5 months. I'm not sure I will ever go back.

For me I don't think they are that consistent off the deck from 230+ and the confidence in my driver is high and can always pull the hybrid if distance is not needed off the tee. If I'm going to lay up.....I'm going to lay up conservatively.

Every off season I try a few fairway woods to only end up back with a 20/23/26 hybrid setup.
I loathe duffing shots. Have probably an 80-90% success rate of making good contact with a positive result with a Hybo. With a fairway wood the % drops significantly for me.

or if I do make good contact then the hooks come out and leaves me out of play.
I’ve shot some of my best scores when I use my 4h as my longest down club.

I will say the thought of a flushed fairway wood off the deck from 200+ out feels like no other. Hence the vicious cycle of trying them again this offseason. 😀

Last edited:
My bag is much lighter without fairways

Back