Would you rather... checkup or release?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
When pitching onto the green, would you rather have the ball checkup or release. Please, don't answer "it depends".

I think checkup would be easier to judge consistently, but there are situations where it is impossible to have it checkup.

I'd say the opposite. You know how much a ball should release based on the loft of club just from a simple chip and run, but spin is all down to swing, strike and lie. Too many variables to be consistent.

So, release for me. Though I'm still a sucker for a bit of sexy spin.

Release. I'm getting annoyed with playing for a shot to release and it checks hard enough to leave me way longer than just a couple of feet left.

Release. I'm getting annoyed with playing for a shot to release and it checks hard enough to leave me way longer than just a couple of feet left.

That's my problem. I play a checkup and end up with a 25 foot putt. Not fun.

That's my problem. I play a checkup and end up with a 25 foot putt. Not fun.

Yep, know that feeling too. Easier to use gravity than spin, but now the landing spot becomes more crucial.

Release. Even my 9i stops on a dime. It’s easier to control release vs spin

I can't put enough spin on the ball to have it check up consistently. That leaves me having to know the roll out. This comes with practice.

I actually prefer a rolling ball on the green.

If I need the ball to quickly stop on the green, I hit flop shots. Again, this requires practice.

Check

Release. That's what i play for and make sure i play a ball that allows me to do just that. Therefore, i can't play with the high end expensive tour balls (Pro V1, TP5, B RXS, etc) because they spin too much.

Release for me because I can't aim small miss small. I remember someone saying that a bad putt is better than a bad chip. The ball on the ground feels safer.

Release. I find more consistency playing for some roll out.

Release. That fits more shots that I face.

My game demands the release method, and it’s nice getting the roll out even if the iron comes up a yard or two short in the air.

I would rather have it release. When the ball checks with my short irons I tend to spin them back a little too much

I'd say the opposite. You know how much a ball should release based on the loft of club just from a simple chip and run, but spin is all down to swing, strike and lie. Too many variables to be consistent.

So, release for me. Though I'm still a sucker for a bit of sexy spin.

Well, my assumption is the OP is asking a hypothetical which includes us being really, really good at either technique.

If we're talking about my amateur technique, then release all day.

Check up. In most situations, I can get the ball a lot closer to the hole this way.

Reading through the responses, it's obvious that a lot of the responses are influenced by an inability to reliably hit a chip that checks up. I get that. I would just say that learning to hit chips that check up adds a really potent weapon to your game.

Not sure how long a shot we are talking. If it is 30-40 yards I want it to stop pretty quick. Shorter shots green side I usually play for it to release.

Release, because it's more reliable/repeatable than check (at least for me). I can easily learn to play for release, but if I start firing at/beyond pins expecting it to check up or spin back and it doesn't, I'm screwed.

Next time you're watching the pros, pay attention to how many times they get screwed by their ball checking up or spinning back vs. how many times it leaves them closer to the hole - and they're worlds better at manipulating/controlling their spin than any of us are. It's an interesting experiment if you're actually looking for it.

Last edited:
I'd rather it roll out. I don't play for it to check up, so when it does, it doesn't work out well

Release 100%
At my skill level I feel like the faster I get it rolling, the better.
What’s crazy is that, a month ago, I changed from always trying to fly the ball to the hole to my current release strategy.

Prefer to play for release in most situations. Sometimes playing to check up is the smarter play though.

Back