Would You Rather Have a Long Putt or Chip?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Reaction score
I'd rather have the chip. Seven times out of 10 I'll get the ball closer to the hole than I will with a long putt.

blugold

Autobots, roll out!
Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 or so.
Where is the chip from? The rough? the fringe? If I have a choice between a chip and a putt with a ball that is just off the green in the fairway, I will use my putter 100% of the time.

lcsmrtn

Reaction score
Handicap
For me, definitely a putt... chipping is/was hurting my game, I've worked at it all winter and hopefully it'll help when the season starts

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
Evidence shows for most people they will get closer with a putt, but it is all about what you feel more comfortable with. I'd say I feel more comfortable with a chip.

cj3ap2

Reaction score
Handicap
bogey
detailed answer: it depends on the lie and what the conture's on the green are between me and the hole

general answer: the chip. i think it's easier to control the roll and stop the ball chipping/pitching than putting

blugold

Autobots, roll out!
Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 or so.
detailed answer: it depends on the lie and what the conture's on the green are between me and the hole

general answer: the chip. i think it's easier to control the roll and stop the ball chipping/pitching than putting
Interesting. I would figure that you can still read the green and get closer with a putt. There are fewer variables with a putt for me. There is a much lower risk of hitting the shot fat or thin with a putter. That is why I would much rather use the putter.

Hole~Out~1983

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.2
I would no doubt rather have a putt than a chip. Its much easier for me to control distance and speed and there are less variables to deal with that could cause you to make a poor stroke.

Mardin

Reaction score
Def a long putt. But if I had to choose, maybe a bump and run with one of my hybrids.

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
Depends on the green. Fast/slow, hard/soft etc.

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
10.5 OOB
There's a good reason why its called a "Texas wedge".

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll take either of them to be honest. I'm fairly confident with this aspect of my game and I believe that I'll get up and down with a putter or a wedge.

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
depends on the green, lie, etc. personally I think it's better for the bakll to be on the ground as fast as possible though

Spaceman_Spiff

Reaction score
Firestone CO, north of Denver about 20 mins
Handicap
Long putt. Too many variables with a chip. Though it will still come down to conditions, lie, undulation, etc.

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
long putt, its easier to not mess up.

mhuelsman131

Reaction score
Handicap
Up until about midway through last season I would have taken the chipping option from just off the green. Lag putting was a struggle for me as a beginner and am only not really getting the hang of judging the speed of those long putts.

bumpnrun

Reaction score
Handicap
A year ago I would've said chip, but after playing a bunch of rounds at Bandon where you are regularly faced with that very question, I now opt for the putt whenever possible. While most of the time the results are smililar for me, when a chip goes badly, the results are much worse than when a putt goes wrong.

bonknhead

Reaction score
Handicap
Off the green, I will always opt to chip instead of putt no matter how short the apron or fringe is cut. It's easier for me to judge the speed of my chip once it hits the green than a putt when the putt is off the green.

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Same, Im a terrible putter.
Off the green, I will always opt to chip instead of putt no matter how short the apron or fringe is cut. It's easier for me to judge the speed of my chip once it hits the green than a putt when the putt is off the green.

Snap Hook

I before E,excpt Titleist
Reaction score
Handicap
3 SNGA
Long putt, Because that meant I missed on the correct side of the hole.

Stevo67Golf

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm much more comfortable with my putter and I'm usually more accurate distance-wise with the putter, although sometimes I use my hybrid as a putter for power.

Weezy

Reaction score
No matter what, I would pick a long putt! I cannot handle a long chip to save myself. Chipping is one main area that I need to work on early this season, i just cant seem to get a good feel for long chips!

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Putt. Id feel a lot more confident with a long putt than I would a long chip. Chipping is one of the weaker parts of my game.

jlukes

Reaction score
Definitely long putt for me. The only time I would chose a chip is when if it was far enough away for me to flop. I would take a flop shot over a 2 or 3 break putt over 40 feet.

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Reaction score
Definitely long putt for me. The only time I would chose a chip is when if it was far enough away for me to flop. I would take a flop shot over a 2 or 3 break putt over 40 feet.
Yet another option. :)

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in