Would You Rather Have a Long Putt or Chip?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I'd rather have the chip. Seven times out of 10 I'll get the ball closer to the hole than I will with a long putt.

Where is the chip from? The rough? the fringe? If I have a choice between a chip and a putt with a ball that is just off the green in the fairway, I will use my putter 100% of the time.

For me, definitely a putt... chipping is/was hurting my game, I've worked at it all winter and hopefully it'll help when the season starts

Evidence shows for most people they will get closer with a putt, but it is all about what you feel more comfortable with. I'd say I feel more comfortable with a chip.

detailed answer: it depends on the lie and what the conture's on the green are between me and the hole

general answer: the chip. i think it's easier to control the roll and stop the ball chipping/pitching than putting

detailed answer: it depends on the lie and what the conture's on the green are between me and the hole

general answer: the chip. i think it's easier to control the roll and stop the ball chipping/pitching than putting

Interesting. I would figure that you can still read the green and get closer with a putt. There are fewer variables with a putt for me. There is a much lower risk of hitting the shot fat or thin with a putter. That is why I would much rather use the putter.

I would no doubt rather have a putt than a chip. Its much easier for me to control distance and speed and there are less variables to deal with that could cause you to make a poor stroke.

Def a long putt. But if I had to choose, maybe a bump and run with one of my hybrids.

Depends on the green. Fast/slow, hard/soft etc.

I'll take either of them to be honest. I'm fairly confident with this aspect of my game and I believe that I'll get up and down with a putter or a wedge.

depends on the green, lie, etc. personally I think it's better for the bakll to be on the ground as fast as possible though

Long putt. Too many variables with a chip. Though it will still come down to conditions, lie, undulation, etc.

long putt, its easier to not mess up.

Up until about midway through last season I would have taken the chipping option from just off the green. Lag putting was a struggle for me as a beginner and am only not really getting the hang of judging the speed of those long putts.

A year ago I would've said chip, but after playing a bunch of rounds at Bandon where you are regularly faced with that very question, I now opt for the putt whenever possible. While most of the time the results are smililar for me, when a chip goes badly, the results are much worse than when a putt goes wrong.

Off the green, I will always opt to chip instead of putt no matter how short the apron or fringe is cut. It's easier for me to judge the speed of my chip once it hits the green than a putt when the putt is off the green.

Same, Im a terrible putter.
Off the green, I will always opt to chip instead of putt no matter how short the apron or fringe is cut. It's easier for me to judge the speed of my chip once it hits the green than a putt when the putt is off the green.

Long putt, Because that meant I missed on the correct side of the hole.

I'm much more comfortable with my putter and I'm usually more accurate distance-wise with the putter, although sometimes I use my hybrid as a putter for power.

No matter what, I would pick a long putt! I cannot handle a long chip to save myself. Chipping is one main area that I need to work on early this season, i just cant seem to get a good feel for long chips!

Putt. Id feel a lot more confident with a long putt than I would a long chip. Chipping is one of the weaker parts of my game.

Definitely long putt for me. The only time I would chose a chip is when if it was far enough away for me to flop. I would take a flop shot over a 2 or 3 break putt over 40 feet.

Definitely long putt for me. The only time I would chose a chip is when if it was far enough away for me to flop. I would take a flop shot over a 2 or 3 break putt over 40 feet.
Yet another option. :)

Back