Would You Rather Have a Long Putt or Chip?

I would take the long putt, unless my ball is in the rough. I'm one of those guys that will putt the ball from 10 yards off the green if I 'feel' like the fairway is smooth enough to putt on. Obviously, if it's like some of my local courses, the number of bumps around the green discourage these types of longer putts.

I am a bit more comfortable chipping if I am more than a yard or so off the green. I play with a couple of guys who are fearless about putting from 10 yards off the green. However I always have a tough time understanding the pace compensating for the speed of the fairway grass vs grass on the green.

Chip definitely. If there is any way for me to chip, I chip. I love chipping. I just have it dialed down much better.

I will putt whenever possible. From the second cut around the green or longer than say 30 ft. I'd bump and run if I can, flop if I can't. Any way I can get down in two I'm a really happy dude.

Evidence shows for most people they will get closer with a putt.

this is true. I personally would rather have a 20 yard chip than a 60 foot chip (there are 3 feet in a yard, correct me if I'm wrong?)

SPIN BABY SPIN!!!!!

Everyone tells me that putting gets me closer, but in reality, for me, it does not. I am that comfy with my wedge. I practice every day.

I have more confidence with the chip in spite of the conventional wisdom that "your worst putt is better than your best chip".

Sometimes I think my preference is due to the idea that I am happy chipping to 3 feet but think I should putt to 1 foot.

No body said that golfers are logical.

Depends on the lie, and what various green-side junk is in the way but given a relatively smooth surface, I would putt most of the time. I tend to hit everything fat so I come up short. When I actually make good contact, I run 'em way past.

I'm assuming that the OP means choosing between something like a 60 foot putt from on the green, or an equal length chip from somewhere near the green. I'll take the putt anytime, no matter what the contours. I'm usually a decent chipper, but I'm definitely a better putter. I find it hard to believe that anyone is really better at that chip that they are at a similar putt.

Chipping is inherently more risky than putting. There is a lot more that can go wrong. With a putt, all you can really do wrong is misread the line or misjudge the power you hit it with. With a chip you can do all of that, but you can also chunk it, skull it, shank it.... it's a shot that's potentially fraught with danger.

I'm assuming that the OP means choosing between something like a 60 foot putt from on the green, or an equal length chip from somewhere near the green. I'll take the putt anytime, no matter what the contours. I'm usually a decent chipper, but I'm definitely a better putter. I find it hard to believe that anyone is really better at that chip that they are at a similar putt.

Chipping is inherently more risky than putting. There is a lot more that can go wrong. With a putt, all you can really do wrong is misread the line or misjudge the power you hit it with. With a chip you can do all of that, but you can also chunk it, skull it, shank it.... it's a shot that's potentially fraught with danger.

Why is it hard to believe?

From the iPhone.

I get the skepticism 4P, but look at it this way.

-I average 2 hours a day, every day, chipping
- I average 20 minutes a week putting. Not because I don't want to, but because that is all my facilities really allow me.

Which will I be better at?

Depends on the speed of the greens. Slow greens = chip. Fast greens = putt. I have been know to putt with a 3 wood or hybrid on long putts on slow greens....

If we are talking long, I'll take the chip, but what do I know, I shoot mid 80's.

Assuming that I am on either the green or the collar, I'll take the putt. Less thinking involved, so fewer moving parts helps to reduce what can go wrong (hopefully!).

Easy one for me...chip all the way!! I have way more confidence that I'll get it close with a chip than a long putt....something I need to address. Let's face it, the pro's will generally putt it if they can, that's gotta be because in theory the putter gives the most consistant strike and gives them the best chance to hole it.

Bump and run with the hybrid is the ideal choice, then the chip, then the long put.

Like many golf questions, it depends on the situation for me. If it is a two tier green or a putt would have many slopes and breaks, many times I would rather just fly the ball close to the hole to remove those variables. If it is mostly flat and uneventful, the putt gives me the better chance of getting close or even rolling in with a little luck.

Chip for me. I just might be the world's worst long-putter!!!

It all depends on the greens for me. My wedge shots are definitely more effective when the greens allow my chips to check, but some greens just don't allow any spin. This is when my long putts get me closer. But ultimately I prefer chipping.

I'd chip. I usually give a long putt a bit too much of a whack and send it screaming past the hole.

long putt vs. long chip...

what constitutes long? if it's 60 feet....imma want to chip. if it's 20 feet...depends on the obstacles (slope/grain).

i love my wedges. i'm pretty confident in most up and down situations.

Sure are a lot of people around here I'd love to have a putting contest with. :D I used to think the same thing, but I found out that I was wrong while keeping stats for a most of a season. I was far more likely to hole out in 2 strokes when the ball was on the green, no matter how long the putt. Maybe confidence has something to do with it. I look forward to just about any shot where I have my putter in hand.

I find it startling that anyone with a fair amount of experience would feel that they can chip better than they can putt. I mean, most of us average 30+ putts per round. Even if you don't practice putting regularly, you should get plenty of experience just by playing. Most of my putting practice is just warming up before a round for 5-10 minutes, yet I'm a much better putter from any normal distance (say 20-50 feet) than I am a chipper.

I don't see 100 foot putts a whole lot, since the greens on my home course aren't that large - the longest measurement I can find in Google Earth is 106 feet from front to back. Most are 90-100 feet on the longest measurement.

Back