Would You Rather Have a Long Putt or Chip?

chipped in for eagle twice in the same round couple of weeks ago in Az. So ya, Chipping for me. I also often lag put anything outside of 30 ft one handed. Dont know why, but often rolls in tight.

I'd rather have a chip, I feel like I'm more likely to make a chip at this stage in my game.

I think my average distance from the pin would be about the same on, say, 30' chip vs 30' putt.

Chip for me as I have a better chance of running it up to the hole. Long putts take lots of practice and good rhythm.

For me it is definitely the long chip over a long putt of similar length. But it is important to define a chip as a shot from close to the green that rolls more on the green (at least 2/3 of the total distance) than it flies through the air. Some call that a bump and run, but to me a bump and run lands off the green and rolls onto the green. A shot of similar length played more in the air is a pitch. I also assume a decent lie.

The main reason I prefer the long chip is that I don't have to control the distance entirely by feel and length of stroke. I can use almost any club in my bag (from lob wedge to a hybrid and anything in between). I choose the club I use mostly based on the total length of the chip, but also by how far I have to carry the ball to land it safely on the green before it starts to roll. In order for this to work well, you must have a 'standard' chipping stroke that is very repeatable, and you must know how far that 'standard' stroke will carry the ball in the air and how far it will roll on a flat green, for each club you might use for chipping. You adjust your club choice based on the actual shot at hand (will the ball roll more or less than 'standard' due to slope or grain, etc). Since the shot is played mostly rolling on the green, you have to read the green to select the initial line and landing spot. All of that information goes into selecting the club you are going to use and landing spot for your shot. Once you've done that all you have to do is make your 'standard' chipping stroke with that club.

I would much rather be chipping than putting, I just feel more comfortable over the putt, plus, depending on the slopes it might be easier to get the ball on the right slope than putting over them all!

Back