Would you rather play…?

Would you rather play a…

• Total voters
I would absolutely do the short but harder. I think it would be more fun, since it's a relative scenario I won't be be playing something massively difficult but sometimes it's fun to just be creative on the course.

I watched enough of TR to have a rough idea of what’s good, what’s not good. Having someone who played there before helped quite a bit too, which was nice. But also, I friggin loved that course.

I played Midpines at not very long, maybe 6300? I have never walked off a course wanting to take up bowling as much as I did after that one. Good God that was an infuriating round of golf.
I played midpines and TR the same weekend and felt the same way haha. I love Mid Pines but man was I playing terrible. My last round I played there was at the Heritage club. Liked the course but didn’t like the atmosphere. I was playing so well until the back 9. 54 holes in 30 hours really takes a toll on you

I played midpines and TR the same weekend and felt the same way haha. I love Mid Pines but man was I playing terrible. My last round I played there was at the Heritage club. Liked the course but didn’t like the atmosphere. I was playing so well until the back 9. 54 holes in 30 hours really takes a toll on you

I did the exact same thing. 54 the day before at TR, then a true punch to the throat with another 18 at Mid Pines hahahaahha

I did the exact same thing. 54 the day before at TR, then a true punch to the throat with another 18 at Mid Pines hahahaahha
Sheesh that’s a grind. Next time I go down I’m definitely playing TR again. I’d also like to play Pinehurst and Pine Needles

For clarity ,
I Like the challenge the long course provides and endurance and test .

conversely, short courses particularly links are magical in making you play a shot not necessarily towards the hole )
👍

Sheesh that’s a grind. Next time I go down I’m definitely playing TR again. I’d also like to play Pinehurst and Pine Needles

I think whenever I go to play Pinehurst, I'll add Pine Needles to it as well. Same concept!

Considering my home course is only 6800 from the tips and is rated 75/141. I would rather play a longer easier course just for a change of pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an issue with the choices and are sort of contradicting within themselves.
You see....... length in itself presents the difficulty and that so called 'average" difficulty is negated by the length in itself. That part in itself is the difficulty.
Many lack the distance in the first place. And even those who have enough distance will find the mishits either still leaving too much yardage or being too far off target via the longer attempts.

Harbour Town is my favorite course to play, so …

If given the choice I always choose the easier course. The extra yardage doesn’t hurt much

Longer for me, the closer I get to the green the worse I get. So let me take two swings to get on or close to the green in two and attempt to par. My short game is my downfall and that comes with practice, and that is sometimes an issue with me.

I said the longer but easier course. There wasn't an option for a short and easy course.

Give me the target golf course all day long - much prefer the challenge of having to think about your shots rather than just bombing it

All depends on the course I guess. There are a number of short courses near me that are also extremely narrow with miniscule greens. Very little forgiveness and unless you are Bubba to go around or Bryson to go over you are given no choice but to layup. I find a long course presents more routes, more options, etc. I also can't hit small greens to save my life. Played Rockland Golf Club in ME last week. The course tops out at 6000 from the tips but has a 600 yard par 5 from the tips with a green that is (based on Google maps calculations) about 59 feet deep and 26 feet wide to approach with a long iron or wood. There is a house about 20 yards behind and to the right of the green also. Talk about a challenge.

Long or short is relative to the player. For me, anything over 6500 is getting long. For @OldandStiff or some others, that's a short course. That said, I'd rather play a course at 6500 with average difficulty than a very difficult 6000 yard track.

I prefer the shorter course over the longer.
I'm not long (210-230 driver) and get tired of hitting Hybrids into 425yrd plus par 4's and 200+ Par threes. A couple of longer par 4's and 1 long par 3 is plenty.
I play a 6100yrd track regularly with a lot of 1-1.5 club uphill shots and it's enough for me.
Now, if fairways are hard and fast, I can play a longer course OK.
I was a member at a course in Washington that was 6100 yrds, fairways lined with big cedars and alders, pretty wet most of the year, so no roll, and small, steeply sloped from back to front greens. I really felt comfortable on that course.

Long or short is relative to the player. For me, anything over 6500 is getting long. For @OldandStiff or some others, that's a short course. That said, I'd rather play a course at 6500 with average difficulty than a very difficult 6000 yard track.
Lots of guys way longer than me around here that might have opposite opinions of mine though. I don't know. For me this equation is probably more skillset than length balanced. I've never met a shorter (for me) course that I couldn't drop wedges into well. The shorter stuff, wedge in, is the strength of my game. And doing the thing you're already good at again and again gets boring to me. So I'd just rather have to try longer shots and more variety. Variety being the spice of life and all.

I selected both because I think both can be a challenge and I like a challenge.

Perfect response. I enjoy both. Although I'm not a long hitter, I don't mind playing longer courses.

I watched enough of TR to have a rough idea of what’s good, what’s not good. Having someone who played there before helped quite a bit too, which was nice. But also, I friggin loved that course.

I played Midpines at not very long, maybe 6300? I have never walked off a course wanting to take up bowling as much as I did after that one. Good God that was an infuriating round of golf.

I think it's about 6700 from where we played. When are we going to back to Mid Pines? Also, I picked a bad day to experiment with a new putter.

Last edited:
Short course with higher difficulty. I like to look at angles and see where I'm supposed to be hitting my next shot from.

I've always enjoyed the shorter more challenging courses. I like having to think about what I'm hitting off the tee, rather than just grabbing driver and swinging away. I like the strategy that a shorter more difficult course provides. On a longer course, difficult or not, I'm pretty much going to be swinging driver all day.

I think it's about 6700 from where we played. When are we going to back to Mid Pines? Also, I picked a bad day to experiment with a new putter.

Was it? I don't remember because I was likely suffering through exhaustion for thinking that was a great idea :ROFLMAO:

I'm going short but difficult, although I would enjoy both. Short lets you get a bit creative with shots and think about positioning and strategy, rather than just pulling the big stick at every hole and trying to melt it into the distance, only to have a a long iron or hybrid into a par 4.

My usual course is relatively short but difficult. I think it does make me a better player. Getting on a longer, moderately difficult course, does not turn into a struggle for me.

Having friends who are used to those longer, more forgiving courses, come play my usual track, as guests, can be very frustrating for them.

Back