Would you rather shoot 62 in a major or 58 in a regular Tour event?

Choose...

• 62 in a major

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • 58 in a reg. Tour event

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

Northerner

Reaction score
I was watching highlights of Phil's lip-out for the only 62 ever shot in major golf in history, and it inspired me to ask:

Would you, if you could have, shot the only 62 ever in major golf history, or have shot the only 58 ever in a regular event (Jim Furyk)?

Lefty's Lipout (and other shots):

The 62. There’s just something special about the majors.

The most amazing thing about Phil's record-tying 63: he was 46 YEARS OLD when he did it. :oops:

Give me the 62. Just like I tune in more for majors, I’d rather have the low round in a major.

If it gave me a major, give me 62. If I didn’t win, I would want 58. That 5 in front is pretty
Special.

62 gives you a great shot at winning a major. 58 gives you a great shot at winning a regular event. So the real question here is which would you rather win? That question is a no brainer.

I was watching highlights of Phil's lip-out for the only 62 ever shot in major golf in history, and it inspired me to ask:

Would you, if you could have, shot the only 62 ever in major golf history, or have shot the only 58 ever in a regular event (Jim Furyk)?

Brendan Grace shot a 62 in the 2017 open championship. Im guessing Jim Furyk would agree that hed rather have the 62 in a major over his 58 in a normal event.

Heck…I’d be happy just to shoot 92 on an easy course with no witnesses. I couldn’t begin to contemplate any kind of professional accomplishment.

-10 in the major, assuming a par 72.

Majors are what it is all about. Give me the 62.

62 in a major, would be a flex over the field hopefully and give you a comfortable lead or win. Thinking about it would have to be on a Sunday to PO Johnny Miller.

Only thing I would take over 62 is to be the first to go -18 in a single tournament round

58. Considering the total number of regular events compared to majors, the lightning in that particular bottle is definitely rarer imo. If it wasn't there'd be whole slew of guys sharing that one.

Given that both of them would be record breaking (or at least tying) and there’s no guarantee of a win attached to either one, I’d take the 62 in a major.

Edit: I changed my mind. The more I think about it, I’d rather have the 58 in a regular Tour event. Since there’s no win guaranteed with either of them, shooting a 58 would be more special regardless of what tournament it was accomplished in.

Majors seem like the answer for me. Everyone seems to watch them and pay more attention. The bad part would be if you shot a 62 then you didn't win it would be for nothing in the end.

flip a coin and I'll take that outcome...either would be grand

Whichever one paid more

Which ever option results in a win.

Assuming par is 72, I’ll take the 58. First because I think when Furyk had his, par was 70. Second, I need all the strokes I can get to win.

Back