Would you rather....

DevRickus

The Dirty Jerz
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
When all participants were chosen for the Legacy, I sent out a questionnaire to everyone. One of the questions was "Would you rather play great golf individually and lose or play poor golf and win?" Also, to add on, if your team did win, how would you feel about it? Would you still be happy? Would you feel like you didn't contribute? Curious to what everyone else would say. There is no right or wrong answer, just answer honestly. Thanks.

If it's a team event, then I would rather my team win......there is no I in TEAM!

Poor golf and win.

I'm there to win regardless of how I play.

And if I won I guess my opponent played worse than me. :alien:

I don't really have a competitive bone in my body when it comes to sports but I do love the excitement of a team win. If I played great to help awesome.

Definitely in a team event I'll take the win.

Individual tournament, I would take play well and let the chips fall where they may.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Team event....give me the win all day long no matter what happens

Team golf is about the team. Therefore, I'd choose play poorly and still win. Winning cures a lot of ails and I'd forget quickly about the bad.

Afterall, if you still won, your opponent played even worse.

Go team! We all have off days, but as long as the teams wins, the event was a huge success.

Im all about the trophy, I only play poor golf but can keep a ball out in front of me , so somewhere within the round I would hope to contribute in some way for the win.

Team golf for sure with the win. The one thing about team golf is your teammates should be there to support you regardless of how you play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be honest: It's a tie for me.

It killed me that I played like crap in #TheGrandaddy singles, and it only got magnified by our team losing. Even if our team had won, there still would have been a little part of me that hated the fact that I didn't play up to my standards.

Yes, events like Legacy, the Grandaddy, and even the Ryder Cup are team events, but golf is still an individual sport.

That being said, playing bad and the team winning would still feel better than playing well and the team losing.

Last edited:
Team win for sure, poor golf happens to all of us at critical times.

Team all day everyday. I work hard for not only myself but for them. Singles is ego driven in my mind to be able to say I closed this person out. Well if the team didn't win what does it matter your individual accomplishment means nothing. This is for team events of course and not individual events

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

I want the W for the team and would give all I had to help the team win. I would hope that I would play good enough to contribute to the win, but if I played bad and the team won I would be happy and disappointed.

This is a great topic Dev. Looking forward to following along.
I have been on the side of played really well and team lost. Its not something I enjoyed. I will take the team winning every day of the week.

Team event, team victory. Get me that trophy.

One thing I always remember is that you can go in to those match play events and play really good golf. It still doesn't mean that you are going to come out on top in your matches. Nothing to be ashamed of when that happens. Everyone wants to go to these things and play their best.

One of those events I played in on a team that had a really good chance at winning. After the event I was let down because I felt I contributed nothing to the team. It did bum me out quite a bit.

Nobody cares how you scored when you are dousing each other in champagne or swimming in a fountain to celebrate a team victory.

Team event, team victory. Get me that trophy.

One thing I always remember is that you can go in to those match play events and play really good golf. It still doesn't mean that you are going to come out on top in your matches. Nothing to be ashamed of when that happens. Everyone wants to go to these things and play their best.

One of those events I played in on a team that had a really good chance at winning. After the event I was let down because I felt I contributed nothing to the team. It did bum me out quite a bit.

Nobody cares how you scored when you are dousing each other in champagne or swimming in a fountain to celebrate a team victory.
I'm glad you said that because that was more what I meant. If you played like crap and your team won, how would you feel? I know everyone wants to win but if you felt like you didn't contribute would you still be happy? And by you, I mean the proverbial you.

Being a part of a team means picking up your mates when they have an off day. While I would love to perform at my best, sometimes its just not in the cards. I'd check my ego and take the win and be happy, mostly for my mates who played incredible to bail me out! :)

And there are many ways to contribute ... no matter how you perform, you should be out there spurring your teammates on in their own performances when your match is over, or before it begins.

I haven't played a ton of team golf but having been on the side where I played well and lost I'll take the Finley option...play poorly and have the team win. Nobody remembers how well an individual played if the team loses and on that same token nobody cares how poorly you played if you win that trophy as a team.

Well, I still feel like I was run over by a truck, and felt like I played okay on Sunday. A team win certainly would have made me feel a lot better. That being said, I wouldn't enjoy a win as much if I was just dead weight along the way, though i would enjoy it more than losing under any circumstance. No kid dreams of striking out 5 times while his team wins the World Series.

I would definitely rather play poor and win as a team. There is still a small amount of I wish I performed better for my team but at the end of the day it's always team first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a team event, so priorities should be for the team.

It would be disappointing to perform poorly, but if the team wins than the goal has been achieved. (Also, fun would be had regardless, which is the second goal)

Great question Dev. I would rather......WIN. I'm not wired to lose. I can accept a loss, but never be happy about it. In a team event, I would be disappointed with a loss even if I personally had shot a PB. If my team won and I played poorly, I'd be a little embarrassed, but happy we won, and grateful to the team/partner for carrying my weak arse.

I haven't played a ton of team golf but having been on the side where I played well and lost I'll take the Finley option...play poorly and have the team win. Nobody remembers how well an individual played if the team loses and on that same token nobody cares how poorly you played if you win that trophy as a team.

lol at the "Finley" option.

You might've coined a new moniker there. :)

Win as a team. Even if I did play poorly, there's other ways to contribute besides my score, so I wouldn't feel like I didn't contribute. Maybe you could be there to pick up a teammate who is down and help them turn their game around, or other ways of supporting your team; more than just showing up and playing golf.

Back