Would You Sacrifice Your Score....

If you're keeping up with the group ahead of you then you're on pace even if they aren't.

If someone is really pushing me from behind and there is room in front of me, I will always let them play through
Ditto!

Most of us have a pace of play that we are comfortable with. I like to play relatively fast, as do the golfers I play with. However we don't push anyone in front of us, and if someone behind us is pushing us (which does happen), we ask them if they want to play through.

So long as I'm keeping up with the group in front, I'm good. If someone wants to play through and there's space, go for it.

That's incredible! Was the course otherwise pretty quiet or was every tee time booked up?

Most around here outside of the top 2 in the area don’t require tee times during the week, so they get a lot of single walk ons (well mostly “ride ons”). It can go from annoying (3-4) to downright aggravating (5+). Lots of the members will just bounce around which I’m totally fine with when playing solo. I’ll do it sometimes too.

I just wish the course would make some sort of an effort to pair them up at least, something like a “if we can’t pair you up in 20 minutes we’ll let you out as a single” policy or something.

I personally would rather be paired with someone anyways but I get those that wouldn’t and prefer to play as a single, but if you do on a somewhat empty course either hit more shots or bounce around. I’ve been the single that’s been behind a decently quick 4some, say a 3:30-4:00 round that didn’t want to play through as I wanted to hit a couple balls from each spot.

Any slower than that though and I’ll bounce around if the course is open.

Would you sacrifice your golf scores by playing faster, just to stay a head of the group behind you? Faster than your talent level allows for?
Depends. If I'm playing poorly, anyway, and there's space in front of me: Yeah. I would and I have. But if I'm playing well or there's a group directly in front of me, anyway: Then no.

If I was playing well, there was no group in front of me, and I knew I was playing slowly: I'd let 'em play through before I'd wreck my game.

If you're keeping up with the group ahead of you then you're on pace even if they aren't.

If someone is really pushing me from behind and there is room in front of me, I will always let them play through
This

Depends on the situation, but if I am having a bad hole and I am causing the group to fall behind while the group behind us is waiting, then I'll pick up and adjust my score accordingly to what I think would have happened and might try to mentally remember to just play a little faster. Might just mean to track my ball more so I don't need another guy helping me find it, or just shortening my routine which I can sometimes take too long doing.

Most around here outside of the top 2 in the area don’t require tee times during the week, so they get a lot of single walk ons (well mostly “ride ons”). It can go from annoying (3-4) to downright aggravating (5+). Lots of the members will just bounce around which I’m totally fine with when playing solo. I’ll do it sometimes too.

I just wish the course would make some sort of an effort to pair them up at least, something like a “if we can’t pair you up in 20 minutes we’ll let you out as a single” policy or something.

I personally would rather be paired with someone anyways but I get those that wouldn’t and prefer to play as a single, but if you do on a somewhat empty course either hit more shots or bounce around. I’ve been the single that’s been behind a decently quick 4some, say a 3:30-4:00 round that didn’t want to play through as I wanted to hit a couple balls from each spot.

Any slower than that though and I’ll bounce around if the course is open.
The 20 minute thing sounds pretty reasonable to me. Check in at the clubhouse, go warm up, then tee off!

It depends on what kind of round I'm looking for - sometimes I like playing alone so I can work on specific skills during a round. But that also means no handicap submissions.

If I'm playing with my regular group, we're almost never pushed from behind unless we're stuck behind a slower group ahead. We play fast - not rushed, but very efficient. We can stay ahead of most twosomes (and/or keep our place on the course when behind a twosome) when we're playing as a foursome or fivesome. But if I'm playing with others who aren't as fast or there does actually happen to be a faster group on the course, we'll always let them play through rather than be rushed. I hate being pushed from behind, it really messes with my game - I rush shots and make bad decisions, and it blows my score up.

I don’t look at the group behind me unless they hit into me or my friends. My pace adjustments are made based on the group in front of me.

keeping up is not something that will detract from my ability to score.

I justdon’t play a style of golf that grinds to a halt in order to make a shot. I use my time wisely to understand the situation and make a choice on what to do. After that I’m a feel player. See it, do it. (When I play well).

rushing my tempo is what kills me score. But that has nothing to do with the group behind me.

unfortunately I don’t get to experience an empty course to develop a plan for a fast group behind me other than play on through players.

in some conditions I sacrafice score and prefer my group do the same. Imagine a round where somene in your group is hitting worm balls off the tee and hitting fatty approaches. When that gets to the point where play is slowed down, I say pick up and practice green side. Now my group does not play tournaments. My rationale is simple, if you are hitting double, tripple and quad boggie you should not need a scorecard to tell you that you did not play well.

my opinion of what groups in front of us slowing us down are doing. (1) playing proper not ready golf and (2) overthinking a chip or putt for 3 over par. one hole is fine, two acceptable but after that pick up and move on. Find enjoyment in your friends and the things you practice in the round.

Nobody on THP plays slow.

Until told to hurry the F up, lol.

I think those situations arise sometimes with guys that normally play fast but due to format and for a lot of us it’ll be the highlight of our golf life. I’m not rushing those rounds.

I’m not playing slow but if it becomes a 5 hour round because of pace, I’m 100% ok with that in an event.

Otherwise I wanna be done in 14.2 minutes, lol. For a long time I was probably a better golfer than I played to because I would hit the parking lot and sprint from there to the first tee in fear of waiting too long and getting stuck behind a SLOW group. So once I’d swung twice I was ready to send one.

Would you sacrifice your golf scores by playing faster, just to stay a head of the group behind you? Faster than your talent level allows for?

I wouldn't. If someone behind me was playing faster than myself, they could either play thru, join me, or go around.

Fortunately I play at a decent pace, and seldom, if ever, cause, or run into pace of play problems.

I have many times but I would never expect others to. I play fast for a high capper but can turn it up a notch if needed by not looking for errant shots and instead simply dropping a ball and adding strokes.

I've also been known to jog with my push cart to my next shot to clear a fairway after I've hit. I sometimes wonder if my score climbs just from being rushed or out of breath. But then it occurs to me I suck at this game even when I have all the time in the world. :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely. If I'm chopping up a hole and everyone else is playing well, I'll play super fast or just pick up. I'd never make my playing partners stand around and wait on me just to card a score.

I would not sacrifice my game or score just to say I played faster. I have no issue letting people through, though I rarely have to except a few single rider jack rabbits, if it means I have to play or walk faster than I am comfortable with just to stay in front of them.

Pretty much this. Don't care about the group behind me as long as we have a group in front of us. Don't care if it's a single or group of 4. Stay the course.
Nobody on THP plays slow.
200.gif

I'll admit, I get a little impatient. So I like playing ready golf. Just go up to the ball and hit it. Not worrying about the other guys turn. But no, I would not sacrifice my score playing quicker. I will let someone play through if I'm the one slowing them down. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 of us walking and there's a single or two players on a cart buzzing through. We'll let them play through. But if the groups in front of us are slowing us down we don't let anyone play through. We figure if its busy we all gotta wait our turn.

Pretty much this. Don't care about the group behind me as long as we have a group in front of us. Don't care if it's a single or group of 4. Stay the course.

200.gif
If they’re hitting in to me

Back