Would You Sacrifice Your Score....

WLG1952

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Would you sacrifice your golf scores by playing faster, just to stay a head of the group behind you? Faster than your talent level allows for?

I wouldn't. If someone behind me was playing faster than myself, they could either play thru, join me, or go around.

Fortunately I play at a decent pace, and seldom, if ever, cause, or run into pace of play problems.

I don't rush. I'll let anyone play through, and I/we play through a lot, but pace should never be dictated by who's behind you, and their pace. Expected course pace, sure. The guys that want to be done in 2:15 are welcome to cruise on by most of the time, but not if it's going to screw up everyone else's pace or scoring. We're not all there to accommodate the one group/player who can't fall in with traffic.

I don't rush. I'll let anyone play through, and I/we play through a lot, but pace should never be dictated by who's behind you, and their pace. Expected course pace, sure. The guys that want to be done in 2:15 are welcome to cruise on by most of the time, but not if it's going to screw up everyone else's pace or scoring. We're not all there to accommodate the one group/player who can't fall in with traffic.
That's all that needs to be said.

No. I do play at a somewhat ready golf pace though. I would not sacrifice my score though, seems silly.

Anyone who plays faster than me is an idiot, anyone who plays slower than me is a moron.

In seriousness, I would not sacrifice my score to accommodate players behind me. I don't mind at all to let someone play through. I'm guilty of letting my attitude toward the pace of the group in front of me sacrifice my score, although I've gotten much better at this in recent years.

I just play. If I'm faster than the group in front of me, hopefully they'll let me through. If not, that's fine too, and I'll wait. If people are waiting for me, I'll gladly let them go through. If more people were courteous of everyone else's enjoyment, golf would be more fun for everyone. Unfortunately, a lot of guys seem to think they own the course or something.

Would you sacrifice your golf scores by playing faster, just to stay a head of the group behind you? Faster than your talent level allows for?

I wouldn't. If someone behind me was playing faster than myself, they could either play thru, join me, or go around.

Fortunately I play at a decent pace, and seldom, if ever, cause, or run into pace of play problems.
I have a buddy you gets wigged-out when the course is packed and people are waiting on us or if the group(s) behind are playing faster than us.
I keep telling him to stop looking back at them, which then causes him to play faster and blowup his scorecard.
He can go from being on pace for low 90s to 120s in the middle of the back 9 if he sees (perceives) people are waiting on us.

If you're keeping up with the group ahead of you then you're on pace even if they aren't.

If someone is really pushing me from behind and there is room in front of me, I will always let them play through

NO either they can play thru if thats possible or they can wait.

Noooope. I’m out there to have fun, not worry about the group behind me. As long as I’m on pace, the group behind me is not my concern and I’m fine with letting folks play through.

Actually, when it comes to pace of play, what we are supposed to do is keep pace with the group in front of us. If you do that then what is going on behind you is almost irrelevant as there is no place for them to go.

If I assume, you were sent out with a big gap between your tee time and the last group to go out, then what you described could happen and I like your solution.

As far as myself, I play pretty fast in general. But the three other players in your group have something to say about your group's pace of play. If I'm in a group that loses contact with the group ahead, I'll encourage my group to catch up. Amazing the number of golfers who don't seem to know that is what they are expected to do.

Nope. If groups are waiting on us then it's because we are waiting or I'm not playing with my normal groups and with someone new. I like a 3-3:30 minute round and we often do that if not held up.

If I am playing at a reasonable pace and a group comes racing up on me and there is room in front I will let them through. If there is no room they are stuck. I have been paired up with random people that were slow and trying to speed them up has impacted my play. My experience is that people that play slow don’t realize it and when you try to let them know that they are slow they don’t believe it.

Nope. I play plenty fast. If others have a problem, they can pound sand.

Nope. I'm not willing.

Well stated. A lot of local courses don’t attempt to pair up singles. That can get annoying as a 3-4some playing in about a 3hr pace but end up letting 7 singles through. Regardless of how you do it, it’s going to cost you a little bit of time. Once or twice, no biggie but we’ve let half a dozen single through in a round before.

To answer the question, nope! I play quick enough I’m not going to rush. The only place it may impact me is I may not look as long for a golf ball if I know I’m holding someone up. But it’s not like I’m competing for the US Open so another couple strokes? Whooptee.

I try to play at an appropriate pace. We can measure that by staying in touch with the group in front of us or a clock. Either way, if I'm playing at an appropriate pace I'm not speeding up for the people behind me (and I'm not slowing down from an appropriate pace to improve my score either)

I wouldn't play faster to hurt my score. I will let someone play through. I don't have to do that very often though.

Nope. Play thru if you ask nicely, but if you are a richard about the way you ask and it will be denied.

No chance, I would not speed up play and sacrifice my score. I play at a good pace and allow others to play through if something slows my group down.

I don't really equate speed with skill level at all.
But no, if a faster group rolls up behind I'm letting them through immediately.

So long as I'm keeping up with the group in front, I'm good. If someone wants to play through and there's space, go for it.

Well stated. A lot of local courses don’t attempt to pair up singles. That can get annoying as a 3-4some playing in about a 3hr pace but end up letting 7 singles through. Regardless of how you do it, it’s going to cost you a little bit of time. Once or twice, no biggie but we’ve let half a dozen single through in a round before.
That's incredible! Was the course otherwise pretty quiet or was every tee time booked up?

On more than one occasion, when playing behind a group that just won’t let us play through, we’ve skipped around the slowpokes and missed playing a hole or even two. Therefore we’ve sacrificed our scores to keep us from waiting and getting frustrated by the inconsiderate players in front of us.

I won't rush for any group behind us, I'll just let them play through on the very rare occasion we are being pushed. The only groups we had to let through last season were twosomes a couple of times when we were a fivesome. I played many rounds last summer as a fivesome walking in under 4 hours and during those rounds we waited on at least a couple holes.

Back