Would you take a 30% raise to go clean shaven?

Would You Shave For A 30% Raise?

• Take The Money!

Votes: 103 92.0%
  • Keep the beard, no one likes a baby face.

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
Yep. I enjoy my beard but for a 30% raise , I would not think twice about shaving.

Would I shave off my beard for a 30% pay rise? Hell yeah!!! Although I’d never work in a job where that is even an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this really only applies to people with beards, but here is the situation. I work in marketing, mostly on the digital side of things such as email, websites, Google, Facebook, that sort of stuff. Nothing about my job is customer-facing. I was offered a job with a 30% raise. It has almost all the same benefits, the only stipulation is that they have a no facial hair rule. What would you do?

saying this all a bit tongue in cheek.....but you must not be married. Lol.

look man, 30% is 30%. If you’re contemplating NOT taking a 30% raise it’s for some other reason (like it being customer facing) that has very little to do with you having a beard or not. You’ve been used to being behind the scenes. If I was the hiring manager and found out you didn’t want a 30% raise because you didn’t want to trim it up, I’d probably eliminate you from consideration. Worst case....a year in after shaving it up nice and trim, you got your 30% raise and moved on. You don’t ever have to give that money back when your negotiating down the road. That is unless you don’t think 30% is a huge bump? Lol......I’m sure you significant other does however.

30% at my current job? Sure.

30% at a new job? I'll think about it. Perhaps I get that same 30% elsewhere. 30% could turn into 0% if it's not the right fit. What else are they trying to control?

I’d shave. I don’t have a beard though. Never really have. Don’t really care for them. I think for an extra 30 percent I’d even grow a beard.

I'd shave my COMPLETE body for 30% raise.

Keep the beard and they can keep their 30% raise. Men are supposed to have facial hair.

law enforcement fire department and military have strict facial guide lines so if its for a raise it depends on ( is your facial hair worth 30% less in pay)

I guess this really only applies to people with beards, but here is the situation. I work in marketing, mostly on the digital side of things such as email, websites, Google, Facebook, that sort of stuff. Nothing about my job is customer-facing. I was offered a job with a 30% raise. It has almost all the same benefits, the only stipulation is that they have a no facial hair rule. What would you do?
I assume if they have a no facial hair policy there will be all sorts of insufferable rules and policies you haven’t heard about and are extreme micro managers.

Lose the facial hair and love the extra greenbacks.

Without a doubt I would shave.

The beard would not even be a consideration. What you should ask yourself is 30% increase worth it to move jobs. A new role, new company etc introduce new risks and environments that may or may not be worth a 30% increase.
Those are the variables that really matter, at least to me and I would guess, in the end to most people.
There are tons of career moves that I wouldn’t consider looking at for 30% increase.
If all else is equal to you and all you have to do is shave your beard, it’s a no brainer, why not.

I haven't completely shaved my face more than a few times since I was in high school, so it wouldn't be easy. And I don't have a great history of conforming when being told how to dress or what I can and cannot have on/in my own body. I actually sued an employer about something like that when I was younger.

I would lean toward yes right now, but I'd ask my wife what she thinks. I honestly don't know if she could handle it. It'd be weird.

Congrats on the offer.

Last edited:
I say you do you...if it only affects you.
But if you are a significant breadwinner on which others depend, and 30% more bread makes a difference to them...then you’ve already signed up for making your facial hair a subordinate concern.
Just my half-nickel. Congratulations on the opportunity. Who knows where it may lead?

I would wonder what other potential rules they have, but if the role is something you want and would enjoy, then for 30% I would go for it

Man, 30% is a significant raise. I haven't shave my goatee since Aug 30th, 2007, when I retired from that Air Force. But for 30%, I'd shave anything.

How is this even remotely debatable?

If the job is similar and everything else aligns, yes absolutely. Shaving your face shouldn't be a factor in progressing your career salary for yourself. 30% is a lot, and that impacts how much you can get at future jobs a lot of the time too.

Would really depend on my current financial situation/current job enjoyment. If I'm already happy and making enough that things are good then no, but if that 30% could help out with the family then sure. I hate being clean shaven, but I think I'd get used to it after a few months.

Back