WSJ - Blaming Course Operators for Drop in Golf Participation

HBirdman80

Reaction score
Handicap
15.6 GHIN
Very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal this morning:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-want-to-play-golfuntil-they-try-it-1457379085?tesla=y

Basically, they say numbers to be released today show more new players are trying golf than at any time since the early 2000s (i.e., the Tiger Years). But, those same numbers will show that the number of people who played golf at least one time this past year fell once again.

They blame course operators and golf not being 'beginner friendly' enough to account for how an industry can be handed so many new customers but retain so few of them.

It's an interesting read. What do you all think?

#GolfIsHard

Kinda tough to blame the course operators, IMO.

#GolfIsHard

Kinda tough to blame the course operators, IMO.

Well, one of the two major factors they are finding is the people who leave never find "shot euphoria", so that's the 'golf is hard' part.

But the first major factors is comfort; they're finding the majority that leave are never comfortable on the course, never feel like a part of the club, feel like outsiders. That's a big problem IMO.

Well, one of the two major factors they are finding is the people who leave never find "shot euphoria", so that's the 'golf is hard' part.

But the first major factors is comfort; they're finding the majority that leave are never comfortable on the course, never feel like a part of the club, feel like outsiders. That's a big problem IMO.

Didn't see all that because I don't subscribe to WSJ :)

The 'part of the club' thing is something that doesn't bother me because I have friends that I play with. Some people enjoy golf alone, I enjoy golf with my friends. Playing at a local muni, there's not that stuffy, country club feel that you get at some places. I played two private courses this weekend and did feel like I was kinda walking on eggshells at times. If you join a club, get involved. If you stick with the local muni, find a group of friends and get them out.

I think it's the economic conditions in general. Young people don't have a lot of expendable income now, period. What they have isn't going into golf. I don't think it has anything to do operator's although there are some, as in any industry, that could improve!!

#GolfIsHard

every time people bash slow play or the expense or the uppity crusty elite who look down on blue collar guys trying the game out for the first time, the sheer difficulty and ridiculously steep learning curve are my #1 reason why people try this game and quit.

one of my best friends in high school was a phenomenal tennis player. very good athlete, and an incredible musician so very good hand-eye coordination as well. he wanted to try golf, so i took him to the driving range. i gave him a pointer here or there, he proceeded to chunk about 10 balls in a row and said, "nah, it's not for me." the game is so ridiculously hard that it takes longer than most sports to be able to play it well enough to survive a full 18 holes.

i get not feeling welcomed. it takes a special kind of personality to show up with 3 other guys who know what they're doing, make a complete a$$ of yourself for at least 100 shots, try your darndest to keep up, and still manage to have fun.

these are not new problems. they are not course operator problems. they are golf realities that people imho mistakenly label as problems. i mean, are there masses of people flocking to play chess? i tried chess a couple times, and that sh1t's hard so i didn't care to learn anything else about it. i don't blame the game of chess.

Didn't see all that because I don't subscribe to WSJ :)

I wasn't sure if it was a free article or behind the paywall. Wish I could get a full version of the article to post or link to.

I think they've made a great observation about beginners. This sport is incredibly difficult to get into, and with all of the griping about slow play (not that it isn't a problem) I think there are a lot of people that are driven away from golf because they feel unwelcome. Is that the fault of the course operator? In short, no, but there is a lot they can do to help. I love seeing courses that offer beginner packs with lessons, range time, and 9 hole rounds with an instructor but often the cost of these packages will keep away the very same people.

Golf needs to do a better job of creating new golfers across the board.

I think it's the economic conditions in general. Young people don't have a lot of expendable income now, period. What they have isn't going into golf. I don't think it has anything to do operator's although there are some, as in any industry, that could improve!!

Another reason I thought the article was worth sharing was a survey I was asked to complete last week.

There's a doctoral student conducting a survey of all private course members in the SE Florida area that joined their courses through a junior/young persons/discounted membership. Apparently her dissertation is on the economics of course memberships and how courses can gain and retain younger members to replace the aging membership and whether discounted memberships are a viable/cost effective option. Should be interesting to see what she finds.

My wife is a 100% beginner, and together we often play with a couple and their 3 boys (11, 14, 16). We split up into 2 groups. With the exception of the 14 yo -- on track to be a good golfer -- that group has significant "golf is hard" struggles on the course. They are all passionate, take lessons, and want to improve. Outside of "golf is hard", there are generally 2 things I regularly saw last year that would influence their long-term golf participation. 1) The guys only golf is a party on the course groups, complete with blasting music and excessive drinking, are a complete mismatch with this family oriented group. 2) The impatient a-holes who hit into them over and over, even when this group is on pace with groups in front of them -- they are very aware of pace of play. I can't blame those issues on the course operators. I think golf has some culture problems that need to be adjusted.

The sooner people realize the golf is a sport and treat it as such, the better off they'll be. If someone who's never played Basketball before goes to the local gym for a pick up game, he'll get a much less friendly welcome than your typical golf course. If you've never played tennis before, and show up to the local court to play, it's not going to end well for you. So what do you do? You set hoop up at home, and practice dribbling, shooting, passing. Or in Tennis you practice your serve, your backhand and whatever else you do for tennis. If you want to golf, go to the range, learn the fundamentals and get some practice. The problem with golf is everyone thinks "Oh....I'm gonna go hit a little ball around all day, get trashed, and ride around in a cute little dune buggy while a wear a funny shirt and shoes.

Then they discover what we all did, and as many have said before. GOLF IS HARD....but so is becoming efficient at any SPORT.

Now, with the whole campaign for faster pace of play, I know lots of new players (myself included a couple years ago) are super intimidated about being yelled at, or looked a certain way, or chastised for playing slow. I tell them, if you're at a skill level that you're holding up the players before you you can either A.) Let them play through or B.) Pick your ball up and get to the next hole.....your score is pretty useless at this point, just have fun and learn.

If I had a golf course, I'd consider doing a Beginners night once or twice a month, where we do 3some's of beginners matched with a pro, who goes out there with them, and gives some tips during the match. No pressure, good advice and sometimes just the experience of getting out there once is all you need to gain confidence.

I wasn't sure if it was a free article or behind the paywall. Wish I could get a full version of the article to post or link to.

I was able to read it and I don't subscribe!

Interesting article, but I don't buy placing the blame on course operators. If beginners are running out to the toughest courses in the area then of course they're going to quit. That's like a first time skier/snowboarder heading straight to the double black diamond slope instead of getting on the damn bunny slope. I've said this before, but I think people's expectations are largely to blame. Golf is often seen as 'not that hard' but the reality is it's very challenging even for professionals. Most of us around here know it takes a lot of practice and play to improve at golf and a lot of beginners simply don't have the patience to stick it out especially when the game is unforgiving.

Not a bad read but blaming the course operators isn't really that accurate. Nowadays people's mentality is they want it now, well in golf that's just gonna happen (yeah right). Occasionally a natural will come around or the newbie hits an HOI or something that's keeping them interested. But people just don't get that the course IS AND ALWAYS WILL beat you up. People need to realize this and play with people that are the same skill level (or close) to create competition or fun among themselves. Courses do thing's like mens/ladies/juniors/etc nights and can usually find lessons for beginners to give them the fundamentals of the game.

Of course time & money are another aspect of it but if the course operators lower their prices something else will be exposed to decline, like course maintenance. As for the time well that's just an on going battle.

Yes golf is hard, but I don't think it is a deterring factor.

I think the two main factors are:
#1 Cost
#2 A-Holes on the course

I have played many a course where the operator/staff are very accomadating, but the actual players on course are just the worst. Show up for an 8am tee-time (that we booked) when the "senior players" think they have rights to it (without booking mind you), and then have the most rude/uncomfortable round of golf ever.

I really don't see it as being the fault of the operators. Changing times and a changing population. Here's another article that discusses this. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/r...s-but-some-lush-courses-are-booming.html?_r=0

Bottom line is there are fewer golfers and fewer courses. The industry is going through a change. I expect places like Top Golf will continue to attract and traditional golf courses will continue to close faster than new one open. From the article:

There are about four million fewer players in the United States than there were a decade ago, according to the National Golf Foundation. Almost 650 18-hole golf courses have closed since 2006, the group says. In 2013 alone, 158 golf courses closed and just 14 opened, the eighth consecutive year that closures outpaced openings. Between 130 and 160 courses are closing every 12 months, a trend that the foundation predicts will continue “for the next few years.”

And.....here we go again.

What in the world is happening to golf?
Golf is almost dead.
Where is every one?
Lets come up with "the" reason why.
Lets make the game easier
Lets invent the 2 hour round
lets make it 3 6hole parts
lets have classes on etiquettes
lets make courses in open fields with nothing around so it doesn't matter where we hit it and then use 15" holes.
Lets have 17 sets of tees so we can tee it forward forward forward
Everyone must get the youth involved
lets rid the sport of the snobiness separation
lets allow bathing suits and tee shirts
etc, etc

and then....just may be then....every household around the world will contain at least one family member who plays golf and the sport will grow 47 times larger than the recent greatest explosion it ever had in its modern history.

Interesting article.

I think a lot of the challenge for new golfers is creating a comfortable, enjoyable experience for them. And while the course has some impact on it, the largest impact would be the people you are paired with and how comfortable you are in that environment. So, to some degree, the challenge/problem may be the avid golfer and how we treat novices. One way to possibly improve that experience is to create some kind of golf ambassador program where experienced golfers volunteer to be an "ambassador" and get paired with novices. I'm not saying for an extended period but just for a round. It would take some sacrifice on the part of an experienced golfer. For the beginner, they would have to identify themselves as a beginner and it would be helpful for the pro shop to outline the program for them and explain it. Similarly, the experienced player would have to understand the program and be willing to work within it. It would be less how to swing but more the etiquette/rules of the game.

To get people ready for that, it would help if a course were to have a one hour beginners orientation, possibly run by the pro. If it could be done once or twice a week, it could cover the basics on swing, set up, etc. Great opportunity for the pro to develop a relationship and possibly get new students. Perhaps someone else on the staff could also cover etiquette/rules at the same time. Also, it would be a great time to emphasize teeing forward if you are a new player.

As has been said, golf is hard. And, unfortunately, what "feels" best in a swing is rarely a good one. Getting someone's swing somewhat aligned with good principles is a great help in getting them to hit that "feel great shot."

At the end of the day, it comes down to the person and whether they want a challenge or an easy accomplishment and whether they get enough positive feedback from the experience to get them to come back. If golf, as an industry, wants to grow the game, it needs to understand that equation and make sure that they put effort on creating enough positives to do so. IMO, golf has always had a large drop-off between trial and repeat and also from triers to avid golfers. Identifying the profile of those who would become avid and making sure there is a path for them is a key to growth.

They need more places that are family oriented like Top Golf, for example. Some place that people can have fun and learn how to hit the ball without feeling totally intimidated. You can even take golf lessons there and learn some of the basics. Plus there's food and other games and stuff for the family if they don't want to hit golf balls. They have clubs for rent so there's no big up front costs like buying a set of clubs to start. So you can learn how to hit the ball before making that investment. Or you can bring your own clubs and use those. Plus the bays are heated for the winter.

Remember we're in the video game era now. Millennials are at the age where they're hitting the courses. They love their gadgets and games.

We're getting a similar venue in my area next year.

Then when you're ready and feeling confident, hit the real course. Right now golf can be very intimidating to learn. You can go to a driving range and chunk a ton of balls, get discouraged, but perhaps you need to try out the easy stuff first... like chipping, and if they make a game out of it like chip the ball to targets for points and stuff like that, that'll keep someone's interest.

I mean what game do you take kids to? Putt putt golf. Why? Putting is the easiest stroke to learn. Anyone can learn it. Chipping is second easiest. Half-swing pitching more difficult. Full-swing = very difficult. But you see if you make a game out of it instead of drudgery practice you'll grow it.

I can play enjoyable bogey golf, but if I want to get better I know I have to practice, but I hate to practice.

Back