X-Out/Practice Balls - Any Performance Difference?

It sounds to me like they are the exact same ball performance wise, so enjoy the discount.

Seems like a good find. I'd definitely play practice balls if it gave me the same features as a regular ball. Who cares what they look like.

I'm sure they're all totally legitimate, perfect in construction, unbelievable bargains. I was just asking if anyone knew which years those particular marks were from, or their specific meaning?
I guess that those those marked 392 or 332 are probably standard balls from a certain period. I'm intrigued by the (s) marking on others.
If anything, I'm marginally concerned that my latest purchase might be much older balls than I previously bought. And/or of less value because of some other constructional difference. I know the box says models may vary, but previously all balls I received were simply marked Pro V1/ Pro V1x. I can't help but wonder whether the brilliant 'multibuy' the retailer can offer could be made possible by lower value balls finding their way into their particular stock! Titleist clearly know which balls go where. I wonder whether the end retailer does too. I'm suggesting there might be known different value in various Practice boxes. Which might sound fussy, but is only as fussy as anyone who perceives performance difference between balls of different construction... aka surely everyone. If the number of layers in differnet gnereation balls varies, then there are quite different balls in Practice boxes. So if anyone knows specific details about the markings I mentioned at the top of the thread... please tell me.

Well, just to be of some help to anyone who might read this... If you're thinking of buying V1 Practice balls, I'd say buy them in-person in a shop and check the balls you're actually receiving.

Going by the information submitted to this thread, the boxes I've previously bought were 50/50 split V1/V1x 2009 balls. So imagine my relative disappointment to receive majority 2003/2005 balls, a few 2007, and nearly all V1, as a 2-pack online multibuy.

Potentially a bargain, potentially a question of whether you'd want to buy them.

Well, once again, recently, I failed to heed my own advice here, but got very lucky! I received an email a week ago from onlinegolf (uk) offering the practice balls at £16.99/dozen, so bought two boxes (applying a small discount too!) and got 24 balls for around £31! And guess what? 50/50 split V1/V1x 2009 balls! Wahey!!! Amazing bargain. Especially when the 2011 version is £35-40/doz and the Practice typically £20-£25/doz.

It's just a shame that in order to get these amazing prices you have to buy online and have no chance of knowing (or getting answered) as to exactly what year balls you'll be getting. If I could know I'd be getting the 2009 ball, I'd buy quite a few dozen. As it is, I have about 40 Pro V1/V1x Practice balls in my bag now, which should definitely last me out this first year's return to golf!

I've been trying to research the reason for the existance of the Pro V1 Practice ball. I know they are supposedly cosmetically flawed, but seriously, for the tiny imperfections I have encountered (and certainly not in every ball, some look immaculate), I struggle to understand why Titleist would let them go so cheap. Not that I'm complaining!!! I realise they are not the latest model, but then people often ask whether product revisions are genuine improvements or simply a marketing necessity. And surely there's a case to think that the Pro V1 Practice ball canibalises Titleist's own cheaper ball's (NXT etc) product position; i.e. if you were in the market for a dozen balls of that price range, do you not think many would opt for the 2009 Pro V1 over the current NXT?

I was reading last night about patent lawsuits between Callaway and Titleist. Supposedly Callaway bought spalding and topflite (think that was right) and in doing so acquired patents that they then claimed titleist were infringing by their manufacturing processes. I believe Titleist then proved they owned earlier patents for the exact same thing, invalidating Callaways. Does this have anything to do with the situation? Surely Titleist didn't manufacture millions of balls they couldn't / might never be able to sell?

Like I said earlier, I've only just come back to the game. Does anyone know how long the Practice balls have been sold in this manner? Does anyone think they'll continue into the future? i.e. Eventually the 2011 ball being included in a couple of years time?

I'm really intrigued by this (can you tell?) being a recent marketing graduate. I can't help but think if all the facts were known, it'd make a great case study for students.

Doesn't get any more certain than straight from Titleist themselves:
The Acushnet Company invests significant time and effort to ensure that our products are Best-in-Class in terms of quality, performance and consistency. As such, in the rare event one of our products fails to meet USGA requirements for size, weight, velocity or any other conformance criteria we destroy rather than market such products. As such, only products that are of a minimal defect are available for purchase. These products are available in two offerings:
1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.titleist.com/customerservice/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=62475

Also, a friend of mine plays these and is able to remove the PRACTICE with nail polish remover. Enjoy the savings

This is great information to know. Thats a steal on seemingly normal Titleists.

During my last solo 9-hole round, on a deserted course, I played 4 shots to a par3 (high ledge tee over a lake), for my final shot I pulled out a 2009 Pro V1x. It played vastly better than than the other balls with earlier markings! So if you can check the balls you're buying, do it.

Well, once again, recently, I failed to heed my own advice here, but got very lucky! I received an email a week ago from onlinegolf (uk) offering the practice balls at £16.99/dozen, so bought two boxes (applying a small discount too!) and got 24 balls for around £31! And guess what? 50/50 split V1/V1x 2009 balls! Wahey!!! Amazing bargain. Especially when the 2011 version is £35-40/doz and the Practice typically £20-£25/doz.

It's just a shame that in order to get these amazing prices you have to buy online and have no chance of knowing (or getting answered) as to exactly what year balls you'll be getting. If I could know I'd be getting the 2009 ball, I'd buy quite a few dozen. As it is, I have about 40 Pro V1/V1x Practice balls in my bag now, which should definitely last me out this first year's return to golf!

What a steal!! :joy:

I bought 3 1/2 dozen of these last week. They were $6.50/sleeve ($26/doz) at my local pro shop. I had a $100 GC from a 3rd place tourney finish and used it all on these. NICE!

I haven't taken all of them out to compare the markings or try to find the imperfections. But, I did use them in a tournament this past weekend and they performed as good as the normal prov's, including the one I juiced back about 40 feet....leaving me a 70 foot putt. ARRGGHHH!

And, since they do meet USGA guidelines, the word "PRACTICE" basically makes it a logo ball. I typically use a line as my personal mark. So, for these, I just use a black sharpie and cover up the PRACTICE. Keeps my goofy playinger partners or competitors from grilling me with questions about their legality in tournaments.

ProV1(s) is tour-only. A lot of players like them. Think it has a little more spin than standard ProV1.

"Practice" Golf Balls

"Practice" Golf Balls

Took a trip to the new PGA Superstore in Delray Beach yesterday, they had TaylorMade Penta "Practice" balls for $19.99/doz so I said what-the-heck and bought a box to try them out. What is the difference between these and the regular balls that sell for twice the price? I cannot find a difference visually except the "Practice" imprint.

6744220187_95d2ea37f5_z.jpg

they are balls that dont meet the QA ... usually have a scuff or some other visual imperfection on them . at the local golfsmith here they were 30 bucks a dozen only 9 bucks cheaper then the regular ones which made me laugh. if they were 19 i would def buy a box.

Response from a major OEM. The quality does not match or exceed the specs desired to be labeled properly. It could be a visual blemish, an internal something, or even something smaller.

I haven't played the TM Penta practice balls but I have played the ProV practice and I find them to perform the exact same as "normal" balls. In my experience, I have found that the logo is not exactly straight, or the alignment aid is a little off center, etc. Nothing that affects performance.

Practice balls are marked that way because of imperfections in the ball. Those imperfections are usually cosmetic, and usually so small that it is not noticeable. The balls usually play close enough to the regular balls that most golfers could never tell the difference. Practice balls would not appear on the USGA list of confirming balls so should not be played in tournaments. This is the major difference as I understand it.

I read somewhere that if one ball out of a manufacturing lot doesn't pass they condemn the entire lot to x-out or practice status. So if it works that way, you might get a dozen that have no defects at all. I'd like to find out if that is true or if they check every ball and the entire dozen would have imperfections. Either way, I doubt anyone would notice a difference in the way the balls play.

I'm pretty sure they just have cosmetic blemishes

Tappin!

Response from a major OEM. The quality does not match or exceed the specs desired to be labeled properly. It could be a visual blemish, an internal something, or even something smaller.
So they are X-Outs without the X's.

Took a trip to the new PGA Superstore in Delray Beach yesterday, they had TaylorMade Penta "Practice" balls for $19.99/doz so I said what-the-heck and bought a box to try them out. What is the difference between these and the regular balls that sell for twice the price? I cannot find a difference visually except the "Practice" imprint.

6744220187_95d2ea37f5_z.jpg

I've played them and still have a few sleeves left. I have never experienced any loss in performance.

I bought them all summer and loved them. I didn't see a difference in them at all. Visually or performance wise! Great deal. I always but the "practice" balls. I don't care that much for the ProV1 because the put "X OUT" on them really big. With the TM ones you don't really notice it.

I have tried both the Penta and Pro V practice balls, can't tell a difference in performance from regular ones.

Back