X-Out/Practice Balls - Any Performance Difference?

I play Pentas in MGA Tournaments, but buy the practice version for casual rounds especially this type year. I also read somewhere once where it is possible that some balls are rejected because they actually exceed USGA performance limits. But, usually, as stated it's just cosmetic.

Response from a major OEM. The quality does not match or exceed the specs desired to be labeled properly. It could be a visual blemish, an internal something, or even something smaller.

I play Pentas in MGA Tournaments, but buy the practice version for casual rounds especially this type year. I also read somewhere once where it is possible that some balls are rejected because they actually exceed USGA performance limits. But, usually, as stated it's just cosmetic.

Read the quote for JB above they either do not match or EXCEED standards....but like you said, I would imagine the majority of them are costmetic blemishes.

These are actually the balls I put into play most during my practice rounds. I've never actually purchased any "real"? Pentas lol. I saw them for 20$ a while back and said heck why not.

I buy the TM Penta practice balls from the PGA Superstore myself. At the $20 price point I cannot pass it up. I have not noticed a performance issue at all and honestly their have only been 2 maybe 3 balls out of 3-4 dozen that it looks like the ink has spread in one particular area. Its weird to explain but it was definitely a visual/ cosmetic blemish. At $20 I did not care one bit and if it was much a problem then I would have just thrown it in my shag bag but it didn't matter that much and heck I was going to lose the ball before it was too big of a deal. I have been happy with the balls and will continue to buy these until I can no longer find them.

Why do you only see Titleist and Taylormade "Practice" balls? I do not recall ever seeing Bridgestone, Nike or Srixon balls labed "Practice" or "X-out".

1. Do they chose not to sell them?

or

2. Is their Quality Specs not as tight?

or

3. Do they actually make a better product and do not have "blems"?

I order most of my golf stuff from online shops in the uk. They also sell the prov1x practice balls and they play just like the full priced balls. I can't feel any difference. Plus they are legal for tournament play because the practice mark is considered nothing more but a marking.
Not too bad at 60% of the full price.

You cannot use them in competition apparently because balls that say practice are not on the conforming list, a black sharpie normally sorts that, we all need a putting line anyway ;)

Check this little ditty from Team Titleist

Here is a little more detail on the differences between practice balls and x-outs.

Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls.

As for whether or not you can use these golf balls during a round of golf, you can refer to the USGA Official Rules on the subject listed below for your reference:

Q: May I use a ball stamped with "Practice" or "X-Out" to play a round of golf?

A: Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with ''PRACTICE'' or a circled ''P'', are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. X-Out balls are not permitted to be used in any competition in which the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect. However, if neither of these Conditions are in effect, X-Out balls may be used because all balls are presumed to conform unless they have been tested and found not to conform or are obviously non-conforming (e.g., too small or too heavy). (See Decisions 5-1/4 and US/5-1/101).

You cannot use them in competition apparently because balls that say practice are not on the conforming list, a black sharpie normally sorts that, we all need a putting line anyway ;)

Check this little ditty from Team Titleist

Well the practice balls I use look exactly like the normal ones just with the practice on the side. So according to your quote they are regarded as conforming balls.

Thanks for all the feedback, I've come to the conclusion that I should have bought 3 dozen instead of 1 :(

I really see no difference between the two. For egomaniacs using a practice ball would be degrading, so I don't use them on the course. But I do take my scuffed balls and sharpie "P" on them and use them in the yard.

I really see no difference between the two. For egomaniacs using a practice ball would be degrading, so I don't use them on the course. But I do take my scuffed balls and sharpie "P" on them and use them in the yard.
I'd use them in a heartbeat. Practrice balls, X-outs, doesn't matter. Same performance, a lot cheaper price? Sounds good to me.

Why do you only see Titleist and Taylormade "Practice" balls? I do not recall ever seeing Bridgestone, Nike or Srixon balls labed "Practice" or "X-out".

1. Do they chose not to sell them?
or
2. Is their Quality Specs not as tight?
or
3. Do they actually make a better product and do not have "blems"?

I think it is #1. But, I have no way of confirming that. Nike practice balls end up in the range balls I use quite often due to Nike R&D being next door. So, if Nike is using them to test their club's, I doubt anything is wrong with them.

would play balls marked practice without a problem . None of the golf stores in my area carry them, might have to order online with the money i save should be able to play a round or two

I'd use them in a heartbeat. Practrice balls, X-outs, doesn't matter. Same performance, a lot cheaper price? Sounds good to me.

I have NO problem with the balls or those who use them, it's just my ego prevents me from letting anyone see me use them.

When I first saw these listed on amazon the description stated that there were physical blemishes as well as visible blemishes. Things like a layer being off center or the cover thickness not being even or something. The standards for all types of blemishes have likely gotten tighter and with computerized inspection less "imperfect" balls are making it out the door.

According to the decisions on the rules, it is up to the committee as to whether or not balls stamped Practice are allowed:
From decision 5-1/4: In the absence of strong evidence to suggest that an 'X-out' or 'refurbished' ball does not conform to the Rules, it is permissible for such a ball to be used. However, in a competition where the Committee has adopted the condition that the ball the player plays must be named on the List of Conforming Golf Balls (see Note to Rule 5-1), such a ball may not be used, even if the ball in question (without the X's or without the 'refurbished' stamp) does appear on the List.
In most cases, 'practice' balls are simply listed, conforming golf balls that have been stamped "Practice," in the same way that golf balls often feature a club or company logo. Such balls may be used even where the Committee has adopted the condition that the ball the player plays must be named on the List of Conforming Golf Balls.

Update - Titleist Practice now include 2011 model. I recently bought two dozen online, and they were 50/50 split 2011 Pro V1 /V1x. Also checked in a local shop - same.
Still totally baffled but very happy Titleist let these go so cheap! Imperfections, if any, are so minute they amount to a single paint bubble/fleck the size of a grain of sand in a single dimple, which if even big enough, can simply be scratched away. But the vast majority don't have this. Just ordered another two dozen!

Where did you get them

Where did you get them

Where did you get them online. Thanks

Update - Titleist Practice now include 2011 model. I recently bought two dozen online, and they were 50/50 split 2011 Pro V1 /V1x. Also checked in a local shop - same.
Still totally baffled but very happy Titleist let these go so cheap! Imperfections, if any, are so minute they amount to a single paint bubble/fleck the size of a grain of sand in a single dimple, which if even big enough, can simply be scratched away. But the vast majority don't have this. Just ordered another two dozen!

Well, almost made it through an entire box of pro v1x x-outs before I noticed a difference. After driving on a pretty wide open par five (kind of hole you can really pound it without paying too high a penalty for a miss-hit) the coating on the ball cracked down the middle, all the way around. I am by far an above average driver, but I'm not that kind of stud. Seems it's not just cosmetic issues that make up the x-out batch. This was the ball I teed off with on hole one. The par five was hole five.

That said, I'll continue to buy them.

I just started playing the Penta practice balls, I have noticed small pin holes in the cover and some ink smear but that is bout it. They still play great and cheaper to boot. There is nothing better than getting two boxes of balls for the price of one!

For some reason I made myself believe that they had a firmer more durable cover because I always thought the pro v practice balls felt firmer. After reading this im sure it was all in my mind though. Where do you guys find the penta practice balls? Would love to give them try.

ProV1 "practice" balls.

ProV1 "practice" balls.

I picked up a dozen of these just now and the guy at the shop said there was no difference in them from a regular proV1. Same ball just "practice" stamped on it. Anyone played these? Just want a second opinion on whether the 31.99 price tag was a good deal.
2ezu7e8y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same ball for the most part. Often a paint blemish or something else unnoticeable to the eye or to performance

TTing

I've heard from a few different sources that Titliest "practice balls are just X outs with the "pratice stamp vs being x-ed out. So basically what Thainer21 said.

That's actually a good way for a company to still turn a profit (I'd imagine anyway) on a defected premium product that they couldn't really sell otherwise.

Not one blemish on any of the balls. I have been buying the recycled prov1s at academy sports for 36/29.99. Those are usually in alright shape at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back