Xcaliber Pro X Iron Shaft Review Thread

Yes it is. I just had the Haggerty Girls into Citgo Braintree with a load of ethanol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Lol, smal world, just finished a bunch of hydraulic hoses for the indepence

Lol, smal world, just finished a bunch of hydraulic hoses for the indepence
My boat the Nicole is at Senesco

Got out on the course today on a bonus day in the end of December in New England. It was 50* which is a major bonus for December. I played 27 so I got a bunch of swings in. It was hard for me to tell how far the ball was going due to wind and cold but the shafts were very stable. I much prefer them to the Recoil 95s in F3 that used to be in the irons. I still have a Recoil in the 5 iron and Gap wedge and I tend to miss those left. I could knock the ball down and control the trajectory. The 85g shafts may be a little light but they are stable and felt good. I am going to get a shaft for the 5 iron to match the rest of my irons. I will likely go back to my other GW as Iike the Ping Glide 2 better than the Srixon 545.

Got out on the course today on a bonus day in the end of December in New England. It was 50* which is a major bonus for December. I played 27 so I got a bunch of swings in. It was hard for me to tell how far the ball was going due to wind and cold but the shafts were very stable. I much prefer them to the Recoil 95s in F3 that used to be in the irons. I still have a Recoil in the 5 iron and Gap wedge and I tend to miss those left. I could knock the ball down and control the trajectory. The 85g shafts may be a little light but they are stable and felt good. I am going to get a shaft for the 5 iron to match the rest of my irons. I will likely go back to my other GW as Iike the Ping Glide 2 better than the Srixon 545.
Nice feedback.

Another bonus day today in Massachusetts. I played the Captains Starboard course. Weather was low 50s and super windy. I am liking the shafts a lot. I can’t really tell if they are longer than the Steelfibers but they aren’t shorter. Stability wise I think they are right there. Today it was super windy like 20 mph with gusts to 40 blowing your hat off and bag over a couple of times. I hit a ton of knock downs and I could flight the ball down and keep it on line. The tendency to miss left I had with the Recoil F3s seems to be gone. I am going to order another shaft to put in the 5iron which still has the Recoil in it.

I am thinking about replacing the Recoil in my Srixon U85 4i but not sure if I should get a parallel shaft and have the head bored out or buy a taper tip.

It may be a few weeks before I get out again but so far if you are looking for a reasonably priced graphite shaft I think these are hard to beat.

Another bonus day today in Massachusetts. I played the Captains Starboard course. Weather was low 50s and super windy. I am liking the shafts a lot. I can’t really tell if they are longer than the Steelfibers but they aren’t shorter. Stability wise I think they are right there. Today it was super windy like 20 mph with gusts to 40 blowing your hat off and bag over a couple of times. I hit a ton of knock downs and I could flight the ball down and keep it on line. The tendency to miss left I had with the Recoil F3s seems to be gone. I am going to order another shaft to put in the 5iron which still has the Recoil in it.

I am thinking about replacing the Recoil in my Srixon U85 4i but not sure if I should get a parallel shaft and have the head bored out or buy a taper tip.

It may be a few weeks before I get out again but so far if you are looking for a reasonably priced graphite shaft I think these are hard to beat.
I use that shaft in utility heads all the time. Dont bore the head. Just taper down the tip of the shaft. Even if you only have a file it just takes a few minutes.

I got a little simulator time in at the PGA Tour Superstore. I wish it was closer than 35 minutes away if it was I would go more. I spent time mostly hitting 7 irons switching between the Srixon 545 with XCaliber and the Ping i200 with Steelfibers. Right now I think the Srixons are a better fit. I was getting good consistency and dispersion with the 545s and a bit more distance although they are a little stronger lofted. I am planning to order some additional shafts for 5 iron and AW. I am not sure about the U85 as I might replace it with a real hybrid for more forgiveness.

I think the XCalibers feel smoother and just as stable as the Steelfibers. Not really a fair comparison because the club heads are very different but I like the XCalibers a lot. Enough that I was toying online with trading the Pings toward a Mavrik driver.

If you are looking to reshaft irons with graphite these clubs are definitely worth exploring

I can’t wait for it to warm up so I can play the 545s in some good weather and get a good sense for them. I have a trip to California beginning of next month I may bring the clubs with me.

I have some time in with these shafts now. Unfortunately due to the Virus I haven't had the chance to get them out on a course I know but I did play them for 4 rounds out in California, a cold windy round here and several range sessions. I find the shafts every bit as stable as the Steelfibers and they feel a little smoother. I sense I get a couple of more yards out of them than the Pings but right now that is a total guess given the conditions I have gotten to play in.

I have had some more time with these shafts and while they feel very good they don’t get the same results for me in the clubhead they are in as my other clubs. I always struggled with the 545s hitting the ball left. I thought it might have been due to the regular flex Recoils in them but I continued to struggle a bit with the XCalibers in there. My last two rounds I put my i200s with the Steelfiber 95s back in the bag and I am just more accurate with that combo.

Overall I really liked the feeling of the XCalibers. They feel more smooth than the Steelfibers and I could control trajectory with them which is very important to me. I am not sure if it is the clubhead or the lighter weight of the shaft but I couldn’t get the accuracy I get with the Pings. Distance wise I seem to hit both sets of clubs about the same distance even though people think the SFs play stiffer.

I am going to post the 545s in the BST to give someone a chance to try them out. It is a bit of a frankenset right now as I haven’t replaced the shafts in the 5i or AW. I was thinking of matching them up but given that I have decided to play the Pings for now I thought I would make these available to someone else trying to recover some of my costs (the shafts were free but I paid to have them installed, bought new grips and obviously had to acquire the Srixons).

Back