Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Do you have the black PTM 95S back yet.
No they are still out but I can have them shipped to you later on next week.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I missed this post. Glad to here you have them in hand and getting to know them.
Don't give up on that 3 hybrid. I assume you have a 75g shaft in that?

I got out on the course again yesterday and hit the TS2 better than the PTM so that didn't work out like I had hoped. Obviously, it is my swing that is the issue and not the clubs. I do have a 75 S in the Hyrbrid but I didn't take it out with me because I hit it that badly! I will give it another chance but I needed to take a break from it first. I received the 75 and 95 R shafts yesterday as well but have to get another head for one of them so it will be a week or two before I get them installed and tested.

Got the PTM sample in today with rapid tapers. Excited to hit it.

Demo program has worked out great so far. Getting them into the hands of people so they can experience them is pretty important. So few outlets exist right now but thats changing.
The dealer network is gaining ground as more people are discovering this shaft.
On the driver end of things. I'll be hitting the sub 60 g version in about 10 days. Specs looks amazing and better than hoped for. Let's hope it shows the gains that the 75g shows in a 6 iron.

Any updates from testers?
What would you like to know? Toooooooonnnnnn of feedback in here but as I’m one of the few to play a full set, I’m happy to dive into anything specific you’re curious about!

Thanks Jman. Just wanted to hear the experience from others who have tried the demo sets. Also interested to hear from Popeye on the sub 60 gram driver shaft.

Thanks Jman. Just wanted to hear the experience from others who have tried the demo sets. Also interested to hear from Popeye on the sub 60 gram driver shaft.
On the demo irons, all but one guy who has tried the demos has ordered a full set. The last guy is waiting for the 85g shaft to be released.
If you try these shafts you better be ready to order them.
I just had my first go round with the sub 60 g shaft. It shows a lot of promise. I had a solid ball speed increase over another shaft with the same swing speed. I still have a ton of testing to do.

Sounds good. Thanks for the update. Would be nice if those who bought full sets would post their feedbacks here.

Sounds good. Thanks for the update. Would be nice if those who bought full sets would post their feedbacks here.
Most sets were sold to non HP members. The two other big forums have been all over these shafts.

Most sets were sold to non HP members. The two other big forums have been all over these shafts.

I'm not going to lie, these are tempting. Couple of questions:

1. Who's selling these? Is there somewhere I can get fit for them?

2. In the event I get itchy and do this myself... Looking at the trimming instructions is says .5" to a maximum of 4" for wedges. If I tip trim my 4I .5", then go .5" more each iron, my PW ends up trimmed 3.5", with all higher wedges at 4". Is that correct?

2. In the event I get itchy and do this myself... Looking at the trimming instructions is says .5" to a maximum of 4" for wedges. If I tip trim my 4I .5", then go .5" more each iron, my PW ends up trimmed 3.5", with all higher wedges at 4". Is that correct?
To number 2 you’re correct.

To number 2 you’re correct.

Thanks! Doubt these would inspire me to put a 4I back in the bag but I am super intrigued with these. Just not sure I'm ready to disassemble my CF19s to test them.

Thanks! Doubt these would inspire me to put a 4I back in the bag but I am super intrigued with these. Just not sure I'm ready to disassemble my CF19s to test them.
They’re amazing. Truly.

Xcaliber has been bringing in new dealers at a steady rate. There is not a list of fitters who have them yet. You can buy them direct through my self or maybe there by chance there is a fitter near you. Can't hurt to ask your local fitter to pick up the line.
I highly recommend hitting a demo to experience the shafts yourself and where you want your flexs. I have a good variety of clubs to send out to be demoed. The $20 to demo them has worked out well. Heck there is even one out in the Pacific Islands with a service member.

A good amount of testers have backed off their normal choice for a flex and do very well with these. Being softer is not an issue but not letting the shaft work can be by being too stiff.
The 95g are stiff to flex. The 85g is right there as well, stiff to flex. The 75g can be played to flex. Feels just right as an S.

A common statement is being echoed with the 75g shafts in what ever head they are in... "They are just so easy to swing"

Xcaliber has been bringing in new dealers at a steady rate. There is not a list of fitters who have them yet. You can buy them direct through my self or maybe there by chance there is a fitter near you. Can't hurt to ask your local fitter to pick up the line.
I highly recommend hitting a demo to experience the shafts yourself and where you want your flexs. I have a good variety of clubs to send out to be demoed. The $20 to demo them has worked out well. Heck there is even one out in the Pacific Islands with a service member.

A good amount of testers have backed off their normal choice for a flex and do very well with these. Being softer is not an issue but not letting the shaft work can be by being too stiff.
The 95g are stiff to flex. The 85g is right there as well, stiff to flex. The 75g can be played to flex. Feels just right as an S.

A common statement is being echoed with the 75g shafts in what ever head they are in... "They are just so easy to swing"

PM Sent

So I did a long session with the new sub 60 g driver shafts.
Tested against a Superlite55 and a Avalon 6.
I did best with the 46-2 which is a 46" blank tipped 2". In the picture what you are looking at is recorded averages of different sessions.
The Superlite55 could not keep pace. The 46-0 did better but spun a little too much. 46-1 did very well and ill need to do a run off between the 46-1 and the 46-2. I was just getting comfy with these shafts when I ran out of steam about 80 balls in.
The Avalon 6 which is a pure STUD, more than held its own. Thats a true test if these shafts can beat out that Avalon 6.

I need to find a better way to record this data from the Mevo.

I enjoy the Mevo but it seems to be short on carry distance. Steady but short.

If you look at the 46 shafts you see how the spin drops as the tip is trimmed more.

I wish the indoor sims were up and running but I'll take this data for now.
e2280349c01ac8531918cfa625519229.jpg

Since that 46-2 was headed in the right direction with higher ball speed and higher club head speed, with acceptable spin numbers.. I might take the 46-0 which spun to much and turn it into a 46-3 and see what happens.

I put the 46 - 2 into play today. It was only 9 holes 70゚ and a bit breezy. I hit every fairway and was putting the ball in season long places. Head is a Sim 9.0, std settings weight in the middle.
The ball was flying very straight. A few had a very slight fade, one was a tight little draw.
The best part is that I was not even swinging hard. Just a long smooth swing, making sure I made a good contact.
Shortest Of the drives was 270.
Slight down hill went 305. Actually hit two balls there and they were just a few feet away.
Love the launch. Its near perfect that flattens out quickly and just seems to go.
Very very impressed for the first oncourse outing. I don't think I have ever had a combination put into play without a single wayward drive.
Lots more testing to do but damn this one is good.

Brought out the 46-2 again today and certainly found the rough on the first few holes. I was Cockey and was swinging way too hard. Ball was all over the place. Hit a hard reset and just swung to make contact... BOOM.... Back to a beautiful controlled flight.
On the last hole its a par 5. Sort of my nemesis hole on this course. Really narrow chute that is guarded by a pond. Its a 260 carry. So I gave it a try today with a smooth but aggressive swing and made if through by a few feet. Reached in two and missed the eagle.

I really wish I could just do that all the time. Anyways this shaft has a lot of promise.

As for the 85g shafts they are less than two weeks out. I know a lot of guys are waiting for those to show up.

For those that don't know about the Spin Wedge that has become my go to shaft for the GW. Being 100g its just right to top off the Rapid Taper set. They had been amazing in the Sw so it wasn't much of a leap to go to the GW. They have an 85g and the 100g. 100g is my favorite and is super smooth. I get an easy 115-118 out of the TS-1 GW at 50°.
aef5db970036189d3db4765b0dabfebb.jpg
35fbc3eeefd378b446be4296e4b209b3.jpg
e2fbee3a9273f128dda8a086e4e2364b.jpg

Back to the irons.
My PTM Blacks have turned into demo clubs and I realized I had almost enough clubs of the TS-1 head for a whole set. I grabbed the rest and built the 5-6 with the 75g S full flex. The 7-PW are the 95g S softstepped. The GW has the 100g Spin Wedge.
I have really been unhappy with the scoring irons with the Hogans and was flat out amazed at the difference in feel between the PTx Pros and these TS-1s. I don't want to be overly dramatic but its like going from rocks on a stick to Miuras. Where I just couldn't get any feedback from the Hogans these had feel for days and talked back to me on less than ideal contact. Big difference for me.
First shot of the day was 159y 9i that hit on one side of the flag and spun to the other side for a kick in. Next hole was another kick in birdie.
Off the tee the 5i was fantastic but I wasn't crazy yet about them from the rough. Just couldn't get a clean strike. More me than anything else. But all the rest of the clubs did great. Short irons were bliss. Stuck the flag all day long. Need some more time with the long irons.
But hitting these really drove home that the PTx Pro 8-Pw are not for me....
1f0ea96e3ff641b5f85077c3987fb3f7.jpg

I have been PMing with Popeye and I am about to pull the trigger on a set for the PXG irons, still on the fence about going Stiff and Soft stepping them or Reg and hard stepping or just straight in one or the other.

I want the get the benefit of the taper tech and not be too stiff to use it, but of course I am not patient enough to wait for one of the demo clubs....I am quite sure I can get away with stiff and just tip them to play softer if they play stiff to flex as folks think.

Those that have tried them what is your feeling on the flex and what to expect, I have read though the thread twice but would like to have some recent thoughts.

The plan is to also get 3-100 gr wedges shafts and since they are 36" uncut I may just go Reg in those for more feel around the green.

Next question is how did they SW? I play a 1/2 long or off a 38.5" 5 iron so I gain a bit anyway and midsize z cord grips so not too heavy. I can play D2-D5 without much trouble.

I really liked them. I play Steelfibers currently, about to make the switch the recoils but tried a demo taper in 95S. They were very smooth and not harsh. Liked the feel of them. So t think you’ll be disappointed.

I really liked them. I play Steelfibers currently, about to make the switch the recoils but tried a demo taper in 95S. They were very smooth and not harsh. Liked the feel of them. So t think you’ll be disappointed.

What flex and weight Steelfibers? I played them for quite a while myself.

95 R hard steeped twice.

Back