Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

I have been PMing with Popeye and I am about to pull the trigger on a set for the PXG irons, still on the fence about going Stiff and Soft stepping them or Reg and hard stepping or just straight in one or the other.

I want the get the benefit of the taper tech and not be too stiff to use it, but of course I am not patient enough to wait for one of the demo clubs....I am quite sure I can get away with stiff and just tip them to play softer if they play stiff to flex as folks think.

Those that have tried them what is your feeling on the flex and what to expect, I have read though the thread twice but would like to have some recent thoughts.

The plan is to also get 3-100 gr wedges shafts and since they are 36" uncut I may just go Reg in those for more feel around the green.

Next question is how did they SW? I play a 1/2 long or off a 38.5" 5 iron so I gain a bit anyway and midsize z cord grips so not too heavy. I can play D2-D5 without much trouble.
I would describe them as this, true to flex but can play well above stated flex. Sounds crazy, but it’s true

18 pages and I’m still confused about the performance of these shafts. Seems like everyone is still experimenting. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

18 pages and I’m still confused about the performance of these shafts. Seems like everyone is still experimenting. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?
I don't see them as being very different from any other shaft on the market as to how players want to set them up. Everyone has their own preference and these shafts can be played in a huge variety of ways. Players seem to be leaning towards liking them on the soft side.
I have sent out demos to about a dozen golfers and everyone has responded in such a positive way that its been surprising.
Just one person has not ordered a set to be built.
The way these feel and perform are very unique and it has to be experienced. But show me a shaft on the market that someone doesn't need to be hit to see if they like it. When they hit that shaft they may like it stiffer or softer as a personal preference. Then there is the weight to consider. I don't see them as being different.
Jman is playing them at an S flex yet he is traditionally an X flex player. I have a few players in the 105- 110 swing speed region who are very happy at that S flex. Yet when given a full flex softer play just as well. Personal preferences.
The 75g shafts have been freaks as they seem to be able to be played by an even broader spectrum of golfers.
Back to your point of people experimenting. These are so new that every player having a set built is basically experimenting with them. So in a way you are correct but I don't see that as any different from other shafts available.
If you want next week I can send you a demo club to try and see for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I don't see them as being very different from any other shaft on the market as to how players want to set them up. Everyone has their own preference and these shafts can be played in a huge variety of ways. Players seem to be leaning towards liking them on the soft side.
I have sent out demos to about a dozen golfers and everyone has responded in such a positive way that its been surprising.
Just one person has not ordered a set to be built.
The way these feel and perform are very unique and it has to be experienced. But show me a shaft on the market that someone doesn't need to be hit to see if they like it. When they hit that shaft they may like it stiffer or softer as a personal preference. Then there is the weight to consider. I don't see them as being different.
Jman is playing them at an S flex yet he is traditionally an X flex player. I have a few players in the 105- 110 swing speed region who are very happy at that S flex. Yet when given a full flex softer play just as well. Personal preferences.
The 75g shafts have been freaks as they seem to be able to be played by an even broader spectrum of golfers.
Back to your point of people experimenting. These are so new that every player having a set built is basically experimenting with them. So in a way you are correct but I don't see that as any different from other shafts available.
If you want next week I can send you a demo club to try and see for yourself.

Yeah that would be great to try it out. Not sure what weight would be appropriate so I’ll let you decide that. We can PM for more information.

No experimenting here, I put a full set into play in my Hogan’s.

No experimenting here, I put a full set into play in my Hogan’s.
Which are you playing and what was your previous shaft choice?

Which are you playing and what was your previous shaft choice?
My feedback in throughout the thread ;)

I wrote the review linked in the original post and then subsequently got to work with the 95’s. From there I put a full set of 95’s into a 4-PW setup of Hogan PTx Pro and ICON irons, no graphics on them because I’m one who’s still pretty adamant that less is more on these and the red rings aren’t needed on the taper section.

95S, and I’m a 110 range player. With the review work I do here, my irons shafts tend to change a lot, at the time I was playing TT Elevate Tour X100 and KBS Tour V X

I think I’m the 1 guy that demoed and didn’t buy and that’s only because I have a new set of 921 Forged on order with recoils. That doesn’t meant I’m still not contemplating ordering some of these but want to give the recoils a try first.

I think I’m the 1 guy that demoed and didn’t buy and that’s only because I have a new set of 921 Forged on order with recoils. That doesn’t meant I’m still not contemplating ordering some of these but want to give the recoils a try first.
Haha. Didn't want to call you out on it.

... no graphics on them because I’m one who’s still pretty adamant that less is more on these and the red rings aren’t needed on the taper section.
QUOTE]

I'll second that! Hope the next batch would have just the ion paint with separate transparent stick-on labels if folks want to put them on. I think this would appeal to a broader range including those who are picky about aesthetics.

My requests for a no or minimum graphics optuon has not totally gone unheard and I could certainly order a batch specifically without graphics if I had enough demand.
In Robins defense of his graphics choices, people in person have raved about how they look. I know its very subjective. They don't photograph well at all actually.
Anyone who I have shown them to in person really like how they look. Not one person has even remotely objected to the looks.

But to me a just Ion plated, or even better a flat black would be killer. Those could be sold with stickers included but separate, as some other manufacturers do.

Just a thought for Robin, perhaps having the shafts just plain ion-plated with separate stickers would be cheaper in production than having the shafts painted on. Plus if ever Robin decides to change the graphics later on, it's easier to just release updated stickers.

I'll second the flat or matte satin black finish!

Just a thought for Robin, perhaps having the shafts just plain ion-plated with separate stickers would be cheaper in production than having the shafts painted on. Plus if ever Robin decides to change the graphics later on, it's easier to just release updated stickers.

I'll second the flat or matte satin black finish!
Robin likes how they look!! A LOT!! So not much of a chance they change soon.

Separately installing the rings would be tough as they are on the taper.

There would have to be a serious outcry against the graphics in order to change and that has not been the case at all. I see a lot of the feedback emails and its one rave after another.

I am getting in the game with the RT shafts, just placed the ordered with @Popeye. Looking forward to experimenting with the build.

I am really looking forward to putting these in the PXG 0311T irons, I ordered them with 95 Elevate shafts and figured with the VSS system would not have any joint issues. But after 10 rounds my hands and wrist are killing me....back to Graphite for this old man.

I am also seeing a club drop off in distance which is 90% my piss poor swing lately but it is telling, the ball goes right where I am aiming I just can't get it though my head to club up one from my old distances and come up short.

So I am hoping with the RT Shafts and the kick folks are seeing I will get some distance back. These are a bit weaker lofts than what I was playing so maybe I can get back 1/2 a club with the better shafts.

I'm not going to lie, these are tempting. Couple of questions:

1. Who's selling these? Is there somewhere I can get fit for them?

2. In the event I get itchy and do this myself... Looking at the trimming instructions is says .5" to a maximum of 4" for wedges. If I tip trim my 4I .5", then go .5" more each iron, my PW ends up trimmed 3.5", with all higher wedges at 4". Is that correct?

I have not built out a set in Parallel Shafts, I know all the shafts start at the same length and are butt cut to length after tipping, so as per the above post .5" for the 4 iron stays at stock stiff?

If I don't tip it at all and put it in my 5 iron that would be Soft stepped x 2?

Tip it .5" and it would be SS x 1 in the 5 iron? am I thinking correctly here?

I have not built out a set in Parallel Shafts, I know all the shafts start at the same length and are butt cut to length after tipping, so as per the above post .5" for the 4 iron stays at stock stiff?

If I don't tip it at all and put it in my 5 iron that would be Soft stepped x 2?

Yes that would be the results you are looking at, verify a average 7 gram difference in head weight between heads to get the desired effect.

Yes that would be the results you are looking at, verify a average 7 gram difference in head weight between heads to get the desired effect.

Thank you for the reply, I thought I had my mind right just always nice to confirm things with others.

So by tipping the shafts they are becoming lighter, if the heads are properly weighted (getting heavier as the loft goes up) this should balance out the lighter shaft weight correct?

Would Swing also be affected by the tipping? or should it remain fairly constant from 5-PW? again if the heads are weighted correctly which I suspect the PXG are since they build with Parallel shafts most of the time and the Swing weight are dead on, but i have not pulled them yet to check for tip weights.

Is it also a rule of thumb to lose about a gram per .5" of tipping per shaft?

If the shaft was trimmed for a 4 iron, or .5" and put into the 5 iron head.. thats soft stepped once.
The rules of softstepping or hard stepping for Taper tip shafts apply to Parallel shafts as well.

Thank you for the reply, I thought I had my mind right just always nice to confirm things with others.

So by tipping the shafts they are becoming lighter, if the heads are properly weighted (getting heavier as the loft goes up) this should balance out the lighter shaft weight correct?

Would Swing also be affected by the tipping? or should it remain fairly constant from 5-PW? again if the heads are weighted correctly which I suspect the PXG are since they build with Parallel shafts most of the time and the Swing weight are dead on, but i have not pulled them yet to check for tip weights.

Is it also a rule of thumb to lose about a gram per .5" of tipping per shaft?
I wouldn’t say 1g per inch it’s depends on a shafts weight divided by length assuming a constant weight. The tip is the most “flexible” part of a shaft the butt is the “stiffest” hints in tipping lessons the soft part of a shaft if that makes sense. Not necessarily lighter due to same length of shaft being used. The SW shouldn’t be affected by the tipping or soft stepping. Be careful on the PXG hosel size as I thought they used a oddball shimming ferrule if I’m not mistaken.

I wouldn’t say 1g per inch it’s depends on a shafts weight divided by length assuming a constant weight. The tip is the most “flexible” part of a shaft the butt is the “stiffest” hints in tipping lessons the soft part of a shaft if that makes sense. Not necessarily lighter due to same length of shaft being used. The SW shouldn’t be affected by the tipping or soft stepping. Be careful on the PXG hosel size as I thought they used a oddball shimming ferrule if I’m not mistaken.

PXG are .370 bore and use a tip spacer for .355 shaft to not flop around when building. Since the RT shafts are .370 there should be no problem there.

If the shaft was trimmed for a 4 iron, or .5" and put into the 5 iron head.. thats soft stepped once.
The rules of softstepping or hard stepping for Taper tip shafts apply to Parallel shafts as well.

Ha ha just getting excited and over thinking the whole thing, I wish I had got a couple of extras now to play around with before doing the build.

The shafts are scheduled to be Thursday now if UPS is accurate which has not been the case lately, my plan is to put one in the 5 iron SSx1 since everything I have read leads me to believe they play a bit stiff. If I get the launch and can feel the Bullwhip effect in the 5 iron I will build it out SSx1 if not I will adjust accordingly.

I have plenty of brass graphite shaft tip weights so SW should not be a problem, ideally D2 in the 5&6 and D3or D4 in the rest. But i can live with +/- 1-2 points and not really notice it.

I do love to tinker and this is going to be a fun Project.

Last edited:
Back