Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Your photo demonstrates that well...I didn't expect the rapid taper to be so close to the grip and I think it would be easier to get used to than I initially expected
Yeah, I think the pic also hopefully makes people drop the whole bubble shaft comparison too. But I get it, we always look for what is most similar to something new.

Great review. Seems like a winner from all angles. Do they have any timeframe for a wood version?
I believe that one is still in development at the moment.

Nice write up James. Like was said in the other thread, be really interested to see how this would play out across an entire iron set. Wondering if the impacts on the lower irons is less on the ball speed and more on the spin rate as ball speed translates to spin as the angle increases. I have to wonder if that might be the diamond in the rough on these assuming my theory holds true through the set.

And, I really love how comments on home page reviews automatically get posted in the appropriate forum threads. Another fantastic feature of the significantly upgraded system the forum uses.
We are REALLY excited about it too because it makes answering questions so much easier and it’s easier to track.

@Jman - With your game, would you use them in a full set or do you see it as a specialty shaft?

@Jman - With your game, would you use them in a full set or do you see it as a specialty shaft?
I would love to try them in a full set. Would give them a go in a heartbeat.

I would love to try them in a full set. Would give them a go in a heartbeat.
I was thinking the exact thing. So, so glad to hear that answer

Interesting and not off-putting at all. Thanks James!
Happy to help, it’s a unique look.

Honestly, I know the plan is to put ion paint on these too, But I fear a fade paint job like the rest of the line making the transition stand out more to the user, and not in a positive way. I like how the black sort of lets it blend and flow better.

Happy to help, it’s a unique look.

Honestly, I know the plan is to put ion paint on these too, But I fear a fade paint job like the rest of the line making the transition stand out more to the user, and not in a positive way. I like how the black sort of lets it blend and flow better.
Yeah, I'm curious about the effect when it has paint / details. They could try to hide it but I feel whatever they do will probably make it pop.

Having seen this at the PGA Show and having my mind blown with the looks its definitely awesome to see some real world numbers. @Jman is correct that it will be compared to the bubble shafts of the past because that is the first thing several people mentioned and Robin was not amused, while the shape may bring that to mind initially it is different. and he was very excited about these shafts for sure. Will it catch on who knows but nothing wrong with something different! Great review.

Very cool Tech here. Do you think they would benefit from offering increased weight option? How will a 75 g iron shaft affect swing weight. I mean I would I would have all kinds of tempo issues with that light of a shaft

Wow! Thanks James!

Folks I'm really humbled by all the responses. After 3 years of trying a huge array of different iterations (taper rate and length, location, stiffness distributions...) I think we're finally onto something here that is, as I love quoting Eli Callaway, "Pleasingly Different and Demonstrably Superior". I figured a lot of folks would see this as another gimmick like the Bubble (sorry...it was...) so I was determined to provide y'all with something up to one of my mentor's mantras. And the wood is going to be treated no differently. I have something good right....but the benchmark is high way up there now. I'm not going to rush it so stay tuned.

NOW, it's getting them out of China which is now becoming increasingly difficult. I'll keep everyone posted. I am trying to get together a few more test shafts for JMan to test as a partial set. Hoping to get some back to do so...well I'm trying...prying those shafts outta folks hands are becoming a task in itself...

Blessings to all for continued good health!!!

Very cool Tech here. Do you think they would benefit from offering increased weight option? How will a 75 g iron shaft affect swing weight. I mean I would I would have all kinds of tempo issues with that light of a shaft
Heavier options have definitely been considered all along. Maybe an 85, but definitely a 95 and 105 gm versions. I already have the designs ready but getting R&D shaft samples from China right now is on their back burners - getting out existing orders have obviously higher priorities. I'm hoping this summer I can start.

To address your tempo concern, I think you're going to be surprised. For everyone I've tested they had no idea the weight of the shaft. And my only instructions were not to change their swing at all (I didn't even point out the geometry....they noticed themselves pretty quickly). For everyone who had really high swing speeds and played steel in their irons, when I told them the rt shafts weighed around 75 grams....not a single player believed me. WTF++...was a very typical reaction...;). But I'm not saying slight tempo changes aren't required for everyone of course...but we haven't experienced it
R

Hopefully they'll get back on track and you'll be able to get these things out. I'm interested to know more and see how it compares in a shaft shootout against other competitors!

Heavier options have definitely been considered all along. Maybe an 85, but definitely a 95 and 105 gm versions. I already have the designs ready but getting R&D shaft samples from China right now is on their back burners - getting out existing orders have obviously higher priorities. I'm hoping this summer I can start.

To address your tempo concern, I think you're going to be surprised. For everyone I've tested they had no idea the weight of the shaft. And my only instructions were not to change their swing at all (I didn't even point out the geometry....they noticed themselves pretty quickly). For everyone who had really high swing speeds and played steel in their irons, when I told them the rt shafts weighed around 75 grams....not a single player believed me. WTF++...was a very typical reaction...;). But I'm not saying slight tempo changes aren't required for everyone of course...but we haven't experienced it
R
I can't wait to see these in production and try them out!

Wow! Thanks James!

Folks I'm really humbled by all the responses. After 3 years of trying a huge array of different iterations (taper rate and length, location, stiffness distributions...) I think we're finally onto something here that is, as I love quoting Eli Callaway, "Pleasingly Different and Demonstrably Superior". I figured a lot of folks would see this as another gimmick like the Bubble (sorry...it was...) so I was determined to provide y'all with something up to one of my mentor's mantras. And the wood is going to be treated no differently. I have something good right....but the benchmark is high way up there now. I'm not going to rush it so stay tuned.

NOW, it's getting them out of China which is now becoming increasingly difficult. I'll keep everyone posted. I am trying to get together a few more test shafts for JMan to test as a partial set. Hoping to get some back to do so...well I'm trying...prying those shafts outta folks hands are becoming a task in itself...

Blessings to all for continued good health!!!
Thanks for the kind words Robin

I know some people see bubble shaft (I dont).
What I see is DG Spinner in that it is a quick taper early on from the handle.

Definitely see that a ton in the initial taper, just doesn’t have the taper back to bigger that the spinner had.

R
I was wondering the same thing about heavier weights. I'd be open minded to trying 75g based on Jman's experience and what you've said about other testers but without trying them, 95 and 105 really interest me.

Swing weighted out easily. I was impressed.

You’ve seen me swing, the aggression is real, no issues.(y)

Swing weighted out easily. I was impressed.

You’ve seen me swing, the aggression is real, no issues.(y)

I get that from a flex/transition perspective, but there's also swing weight and such beyond just standing up to sheer aggression, yes/no? :) I am curious if 75 is a great fit for everyone, why make 95 and 105? What's the negative on these shafts going heavier vs lighter?

Sincerely,
-Your 4 year old internet golfer with to many questions. :p

I wasn’t around for bubble shafts so the DG Spinner is exactly what came to mind!

Super intriguing product here. Thanks for the great review James. I would absolutely put them in play if I got an extra 3 mph, especially in the 4 and 5 irons.
Is it safe to say this has a higher kick point than a lot of traditional iron shafts?

Back