Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

If you can go with the 95g in the low irons.

The demos that initially went out were 75g.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Still trying to figure this out

4 iron TMB .... take out put into 4-iron T300

but the fact that I've already have two cut at the 8 iron & PW leaves me at an impasse. :eek:

You still recommend tip trimming 1/2" for each & then butt trimming to playing length?

Still trying to figure this out

4 iron TMB .... take out put into 4-iron T300

but the fact that I've already have two cut at the 8 iron & PW leaves me at an impasse. :eek:

You still recommend tip trimming 1/2" for each & then butt trimming to playing length?
On all the shafts you would tip trim .5" starting at the 4 iron. So the 6 iron would be 1.5" and so on. Finish length is butt trimmed.

On all the shafts you would tip trim .5" starting at the 4 iron. So the 6 iron would be 1.5" and so on. Finish length is butt trimmed.

That's what I thought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Really don't have much to add on the 95's, I have played a few rounds and since I am playing hurt I don't feel I am doing anything any justice. Shot a low round and a very high one with the others just meh, some good iron shots and just some trash which is knee / back related.

The wedge shafts in 100 R are stupid good, chipped in for 2 birdies and 3 pars since putting them in. I have only actually felt the kick everyone talks about twice with the 95's I think so maybe I am just trying to play the 95's too stiff, even though I soft stepped them twice.

But then again I have zero power right now with bad knee and that is translating to the back and everything else imo. Oddly enough I am crushing the Driver....well you know 230-240 old man crushing it.

MRI on the knee Sat, so we will see if it is what we think. I was going to have the surgery right away, but may wait until after the Copperhead round on the 30th. Not sure I will heal up fast enough to not screw that round up even more than if I play as it is now.

I am really frustrated right now with all things golf swing, but I think I will order a regular flex 95 shaft and pop it into the 8 iron and see if I can find that kick I here about. The round yesterday I actually lost distance from the elevate 95 that came stock in the PXG's, I know it is a swing problem but in the shorter irons I should be seeing something I would think kick wise.

Oddly enough the 5 iron is the club I seem to feel it with and hit that one quite well, today after the MRI I am going to recheck the Swing weight on all the irons and use some lead tape to bring them all up to the D5 range (on my scale) and see how that feels tomorrow. Just had a thought and I have to go to DSG's to get some more lead tape so i am going to have them put the 5 iron on their scale to compare to mine for a reference point.

Update to the above, had the 5 iron checked at Dicks and he had a pretty high end balance beam scale but who knows the last time it was calibrated. But it showed D4 on his and D2 on mine, so I went a head and lead taped all the irons to get to D5-D7 allowing for 2 points difference on my scale.

Hit a few balls in the front yard and may have actually felt a difference, got a round tomorrow at a fairly long Course so I should get to try them all out.

Changing the SW made no difference, it is very strange that I am struggling so much with the irons. I play X flex in all my woods and have no problem at all hitting them even with the bad knee, put an iron in my hand and I am clueless as to what is going to happen.

Popeye, you out there? PM me please

Changing the SW made no difference, it is very strange that I am struggling so much with the irons. I play X flex in all my woods and have no problem at all hitting them even with the bad knee, put an iron in my hand and I am clueless as to what is going to happen.

Popeye, you out there? PM me please
Jim.. yes I am out at sea but ill get Robin to send you a 95R flex. I'm away until the 29th.

I had a nice conversation with Robin Arthur and he was nice enough to send me four more shafts to try out, I installed the 95 regular into my 8 iron straight in and 75 stiff into the hybrid tipped like a 4 iron.

He sent me an 85 S and 95 S at the low end of the cpm range but I am going to wait and see what the 95 reg does for me, they are close and going regular might just be the ticket.

Put the 85 stiff in the 4 hybrid straight in with no tipping and it is a hammer, I can feel the shaft kick and it gets up fast and I hit it a few times today in 15-20 mph winds and could knock it down into the wind and launch it downwind. I hit it downwind for 190 and flew the green which was pretty cool.

I also put the 95 Reg. shaft in my 8 iron with standard tipping and again I can now feel the shaft which tells me these were just too stiff for me in the 95 S even Soft stepped. The knee felt pretty good today so I was swinging stronger which helped all around. 38/44 on a short but tight course so that was fun.

Popeye is sending me 5 more 95 Reg shafts for the rest of the irons so I will see if I have found what works.

Had some Sim time today with the 85g shafts. I had a couple of ProX 85g shafts with the same heads for a control.
Just like the 95g I found the 85g RTi S flex to be a stout S. I certainly could play it but I have to work that shaft hard. The R flex 85g was easy to load and let fly. Easy to feel that signature kick these shafts have. I got a little better efficiency out of the R flex but it leaked a little to the right, more like a baby fade. Something I think I could easily correct oncourse.
So similar to the 95g RTi I would play a flex between the two probably leaning to the S flex. Spin wise with both flexs with a 6i head were low 6000 RPM. Both had a nice flight with solid descent angles. Both were just a bit longer than the ProX with all the numbers being marginally better. Which falls in place with what I have seen with the other weights. The efficiency is just marginally better.
I look forward to tinkering with these in some hybrid heads. Now that these are out a progressive weight set is what I would build. My gamer set has 95g in the short and 75g in the long irons. I would fill in the 85g somewhere between or even jut eliminate the 75g. A lot of options can be done as these shafts have proven to be very versatile.

I really want to try these shafts still, but I really really want my dad to try them.

Popeye,

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on these but I would like to chat with someone more about them. Can you give me a phone number or contact info for Robin?

The 95 reg will be here today so I will pull the Stiff and maybe get them all installed tonight. If not tonight then in the morning for sure. I would like to get a round in before Friday when they do the knee scoping so I have an idea of the feel before I am down for a while depending on how the scoping goes.

Popeye,

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on these but I would like to chat with someone more about them. Can you give me a phone number or contact info for Robin?
Sent a pm

95 regular installed in the 5-PW, going to try them tomorrow which will be the last round until The Grint Tournament if I heal fast enough from the knee scoping.

Got round in today with the 95 regulars and even with the swing being 60% (due to the knee) I could definitely feel the difference and for me the reg. is much better. Better launch and I seemed to get back the distance I lost, it was hard to really know since the few good swings I made the ball really blasted off the face and I pulled several left of my target line which I think is just an auto correction on my part to avoid pain.

But I like what I saw and warming up I was hitting some real nice high and straight balls though the bag. I hope to put them back in play on the 23rd in a Tournament but that remains to be seen with the recovery from tomorrow.

Got round in today with the 95 regulars and even with the swing being 60% (due to the knee) I could definitely feel the difference and for me the reg. is much better. Better launch and I seemed to get back the distance I lost, it was hard to really know since the few good swings I made the ball really blasted off the face and I pulled several left of my target line which I think is just an auto correction on my part to avoid pain.

But I like what I saw and warming up I was hitting some real nice high and straight balls though the bag. I hope to put them back in play on the 23rd in a Tournament but that remains to be seen with the recovery from tomorrow.
So glad the reload worked for you!!! Good luck with the surgery.

Great news for any of you Sub 70 fans. They will now be carrying the Rapid Tapers and other Xcaliber shafts

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Some informational videos were produced for a major OEM and if I can figure out how to link them.... I'll post them up.
These shafts may be coming to a custom fitting center near you.
Install last week on a set of BeCU Pings. Came out awesome.
7990b4bf3d8e45a4167686cec97148cd.jpg
6537e0c423e8180e45dbc2a060cd4ea4.jpg

Not sure if this link will work.

So some of you went 95g on the 7-gw but then went 75g/lighter on long irons. What’s the reasoning or logic behind that?

Some samples for an OEM. I've been pushing for the flat black sans rings so I covered them up to see how it looks.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to put my own order in for a batch of these.
c7e4f8053e645ee8e25accf324f27b06.jpg
22ad9f177d90e922665d6b05aca7d762.jpg
364d0da0ed23c47b054ef3924f20d50d.jpg
d1b110883285a2e321a6ed62cf29254d.jpg

So some of you went 95g on the 7-gw but then went 75g/lighter on long irons. What’s the reasoning or logic behind that?
Experimenting with different weighted shafts similar to AMT shafts, I've found I really enjoy the various weights. Wedge shafts have always been heavier. Hybrids are heavier than fairways and fairways heavier than drivers. Yet we carry all the same weight on iron shafts.
So its just an extension of already accepted practices. So I have some of my sets setup with 75g in the hybrid and long irons. 85g in the mid. 95g in the short and 100g in the wedges. This is just how the AMT setups are done but in a more orderly fashion.
In play I find the long irons very easy to swing.
Just another way to get things done. Plus it allowed me to get some serious time with all three weights in play.

this from the Xcaliber website..... Purchase a set of soon-to-be industry changing Xcaliber Xclusiv Irons

Apologies if I missed information on these, but has there been any ?

Back