Xcaliber Xclusiv Shafts - Rapid Taper Series

Man! I wish I could hit my 4i that far. I don't think I can hit my driver that far without a firm fairway and some good roll.

I wonder how these excaliburs would compare to a LINQ Purple or Gunmetal?

Man! I wish I could hit my 4i that far. I don't think I can hit my driver that far without a firm fairway and some good roll.

I wonder how these excaliburs would compare to a LINQ Purple or Gunmetal?
I'll be working with the Mystic and Avalon shafts in those threads here soon, and I played/tested the LIN-Q Blue and Purple for a minute so I can at least lightly touch on that.

Re-post for the morning crowd.

Well, I say this with absolutely no BS attached to it. Wow.

First will be the same data I posted earlier today in the Tec U and SZ threads of the session yesterday of both with stock shaft (Catalyst), second will be the Tec U with the Xcaliber. As I just mentioned in the Tec thread, for a clear reference point, I did go back and hit the utility with the stock shaft in it again a few times post practice while I was warmed up and the numbers were in line with the first session posted here.

SZ TU.png

Taper Session1.png

Last edited:
Did you capture data for the i9 as well,?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks JB! And w/ your swing speed and tempo - and hitting a 76 gram iron...the wows I've been getting may just be a bit more legit huh? I just not smart enough to know why they work with such a range of swing speeds...it's a first for this ole imagineer. The monitor results weren't as eye-popping as I was getting but a good start. What did you think of the feel and consistency (before you looked at the numbers)?

I was working w both factories via email last night until almost 4am strategizing getting products in. Esp. 20 blanks for HP membership only testing, but also Rick Shiels (I'm in line so sayeth an Irish friend of mine...), +. They'll probably be w/o full cosmetics which are all ion-plated base coats w/ the red rings y'all have seen on the pics, but damn the other Xclusiv irons that are fully plated look really kule. I'm getting those shot next week and will post all (and working on getting those 20 w/ full-cosmetics but if it delays the samples by a couple weeks+ then all-black it 'tis. <<<Hey Gary Player, the Black Knight would've loved 'em. What an incredibly wonderful person. I was fortunate to work with him at...The Masters believe it or not...with all black ProLite prototypes. What an experience! And a great story...

Stay tuned

Thanks JB! And w/ your swing speed and tempo - and hitting a 76 gram iron...the wows I've been getting may just be a bit more legit huh? I just not smart enough to know why they work with such a range of swing speeds...it's a first for this ole imagineer. The monitor results weren't as eye-popping as I was getting but a good start. What did you think of the feel and consistency (before you looked at the numbers)?

I was working w both factories via email last night until almost 4am strategizing getting products in. Esp. 20 blanks for HP membership only testing, but also Rick Shiels (I'm in line so sayeth an Irish friend of mine...), +. They'll probably be w/o full cosmetics which are all ion-plated base coats w/ the red rings y'all have seen on the pics, but damn the other Xclusiv irons that are fully plated look really kule. I'm getting those shot next week and will post all (and working on getting those 20 w/ full-cosmetics but if it delays the samples by a couple weeks+ then all-black it 'tis. <<<Hey Gary Player, the Black Knight would've loved 'em. What an incredibly wonderful person. I was fortunate to work with him at...The Masters believe it or not...with all black ProLite prototypes. What an experience! And a great story...

Stay tuned
I’ll put it this way, what I’ve seen in the 4U the past couple days has definitely got me intrigued as to what could go down in other clubs through the set.

Moved back to the stock shaft and the numbers came down, back to the taper and they came back up. Im not a shill, but numbers don’t lie.

@Jman why do I even bother opening some of your review threads??? I end up wanting to buy almost everything and these shafts which I knew next to nothing about until recently has been no different.

So, this one is still wild to me. I honestly, and selfishly, don’t think I’m going to move it from the 4U adapter because I liked what I saw so much.

That said, I’m still wanting to get one more solid GC2 session in on it when I can get the rain to stop, so far my negotiations have been fruitless :p

Anyone have any specific Q’s on these?

I’ll be real when I say that if I could get my hands on a set, I’d test a full set in a heartbeat they have me so intrigued.

Jman, thanks for the Original Posts for all of the XCalibur shafts. It was really nice to have a detailed description of each shaft. I'm thinking this is the thread to watch but I'll dive into the other two later today just to make sure.

Does the head feel heavier because of the rapid taper to you?
And does the shaft feel more responsive compared to others?

The more I sift through data. The more these are hurting my head.

For reals.

Does the head feel heavier because of the rapid taper to you?
And does the shaft feel more responsive compared to others?
Nah. Swing weights into D4 for me in the 4U.

It has a feel that reminds me of KBS 90, wildly smooth with some activity to them....but the dispersion here is what’s more notable. Harder I swing, it just keeps on keeping on without flinching.

Nah. Swing weights into D4 for me in the 4U.

It has a feel that reminds me of KBS 90, wildly smooth with some activity to them....but the dispersion here is what’s more notable. Harder I swing, it just keeps on keeping on without flinching.

And that is what I am most interested in. I think that's going to be the new hallmark of shafts going forward. What I would be looking for as an upgrade over what I have isn't necessarily distance or spin.....its accuracy. I would glad give up a little of the other two to get the last. With that being said, your numbers seem to say you can get all 3 which is the intriguing part.

And that is what I am most interested in. I think that's going to be the new hallmark of shafts going forward. What I would be looking for as an upgrade over what I have isn't necessarily distance or spin.....its accuracy. I would glad give up a little of the other two to get the last. With that being said, your numbers seem to say you can get all 3 which is the intriguing part.
It has me torn. One side it makes me want to put it into another club and see how if it replicates the jumps.

The bigger part is screaming at myself to not change a thing.

It has me torn. One side it makes me want to put it into another club and see how if it replicates the jumps.

The bigger part is screaming at myself to not change a thing.

I am assuming you only have 1 to play with? So trimming is a one way trip. Ideally I'd like to see something lower down the iron path ( 7/8/9 ) to see what impact it has on those shots.

I am assuming you only have 1 to play with? So trimming is a one way trip.

Correct on the number.

Nah, why you think I tested it in a 4i? ;)

Got a final session in on this one yesterday to write the article the next day or two.

More of the same compared to the previous session and I’m going to use both in the article because it captures the consistency despite the swing changing day to day as it does with mere mortals...of which I am definitely one.

Session to session:

S1: 141.4 BS, 12.1 LA, 3847 RPM, 32Y, 21
S2: 138.4 BS, 12.3 LA, 3563 RPM, 29Y, 216 Total, 40.3 Descent

As a reminder, the above is in a 22.5 degree Cobra Forged Tec 4U.

My thoughts? There is something legitimate going on here, no BS, no hype, no placebo. I’ve now hit it vs the stock Catalyst and the Xcaliber I9 shaft I’m also reviewing multiple times AND changing the order in which they’ve been hit to ensure it’s not a not warmed up or getting tired effect.

The difference is real, talking same length and SW setup at the same 22.5 loft. There is a 3-6 mph ball speed difference, that’s large folks.

I’m also fascinated by the feel/kick/flow here as there is a stability blending with an almost kinetic release of energy through the transition and zone. More than that, it’s consistent as heck for me and made a 4U legitimately playable and addicting.

Color me impressed. This one is worth perking your ears up on.

I’ll add, weight differences....

RT = 75g
I9 = 95g
Catalyst = 85g

So yes there is some weight change there that could increase SS, but not to the degree I’ve seen I don’t think.

This one has jacked with my noggin folks. All I can report on and write about is what I’ve seen. The true test would be through a set of irons. For now though that isn’t meant to be.

That increase in swing speed is interesting to me as I creep over 66. And as you stated before on dispersion.

That increase in swing speed is interesting to me as I creep over 66. And as you stated before on dispersion.
Yeah, speed is always cool, but dispersion not being sacrificed is pretty fascinating.

I would install a whole set to work with longer term in a heartbeat if that says anything. Not to mention, what I’ve seen in the 22.5 has me selfishly not putting it into any other clubs because I want to leave it there.

I found it very interesting on your explanation of how the shaft feels. That loading and release of energy is something you can truly feel. But with other shafts that would usually lead to a ball you couldnt control. Feel wise this is so unique.
Look forward to the full write up. I'm sure its gonna be tough to really capture in words how the shaft truly is over all. There is so much going on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Got a final session in on this one yesterday to write the article the next day or two.

More of the same compared to the previous session and I’m going to use both in the article because it captures the consistency despite the swing changing day to day as it does with mere mortals...of which I am definitely one.

Session to session:

S1: 141.4 BS, 12.1 LA, 3847 RPM, 32Y, 21
S2: 138.4 BS, 12.3 LA, 3563 RPM, 29Y, 216 Total, 40.3 Descent

As a reminder, the above is in a 22.5 degree Cobra Forged Tec 4U.

My thoughts? There is something legitimate going on here, no BS, no hype, no placebo. I’ve now hit it vs the stock Catalyst and the Xcaliber I9 shaft I’m also reviewing multiple times AND changing the order in which they’ve been hit to ensure it’s not a not warmed up or getting tired effect.

The difference is real, talking same length and SW setup at the same 22.5 loft. There is a 3-6 mph ball speed difference, that’s large folks.

I’m also fascinated by the feel/kick/flow here as there is a stability blending with an almost kinetic release of energy through the transition and zone. More than that, it’s consistent as heck for me and made a 4U legitimately playable and addicting.

Color me impressed. This one is worth perking your ears up on.
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Pretty sure quoting your own post is a sign of going stir crazy. :D

3-6 mph ball speed difference is impressive. I've only seen it a couple of times in iron shafts from all of the shaft testing I did getting fit for my irons. That's no joke. I was able to gain 4-5 mph on my steel shafts which I thought was good. To find the same jump in a graphite shaft is a big deal. Can't wait for your article to be posted.

Back