Xcaliber Xclusiv Shafts - Rapid Taper Series

I too thought there would be more buzz on these. Minds are elsewhere. Hopefully the rains have ended and you can get out and try these some more Jman. Look forward to your review.

Pretty sure quoting your own post is a sign of going stir crazy. :D

3-6 mph ball speed difference is impressive. I've only seen it a couple of times in iron shafts from all of the shaft testing I did getting fit for my irons. That's no joke. I was able to gain 4-5 mph on my steel shafts which I thought was good. To find the same jump in a graphite shaft is a big deal. Can't wait for your article to be posted.
Nah, just me trying to get more to click on the thread and jump into the convo, names on products shouldn't matter if the performance is there, ya know? Its a hard battle.

I agree totally, there is something here that is legitimately interesting, I just want to see more throughout the rest of the set.

I agree totally, there is something here that is legitimately interesting, I just want to see more throughout the rest of the set.

Seems like the next logical step. I will say that unlike club heads whether they be irons or drivers, shafts are such a feel/personal thing that it's hard to directly compare any testing results to how they would work for another individual. For instance, you may see a 3-6 mph increase due to your swing profile ( tempo/speed/transition type/etc ) but someone else may find the opposite. I think that issue drives maybe the less discussion situation with these kinds of tests. Not that the data you have isn't incredibly valuable ( it is ) but there is a different feeling about shafts than heads.

Or at least that's what get a sense of. Only speaking for myself, am I excited to hear your results? Definitely. But until you put a club in my hands with that shaft to see how it fits/improves my results, its hard to quantify if its good fit or not. I doubt most people are in the mood to shell out a ton of money to try a shaft out across all their clubs without trying them first. For me it's similar to pre-Distance Bash. Heard lots about the LINQ being a fantastic shaft. Read about it all over THP. But until I hit a few, I didn't really get it. I think that's the challenge all shaft manufacturers have. Unlike head manufacturers that can use outward appearance to get people interested and have them go try their clubs, shafts ( other than paint job ) are not that much different visually and it's harder to generate that level of excitement.

Looking at it from a consumer perspective, ideally I would be able to get my hands on 1 shaft as a trial/discounted purchase. I can then swap them ( or pay to have them swapped ) into a head i have that I have known distances/spin/LA/etc numbers on and feel the difference. If I like them, I can then buy the rest of the shafts. If I don't like it, I put my old shaft back in and I am out on a few bucks. But at least I know.

Seems like the next logical step. I will say that unlike club heads whether they be irons or drivers, shafts are such a feel/personal thing that it's hard to directly compare any testing results to how they would work for another individual. For instance, you may see a 3-6 mph increase due to your swing profile ( tempo/speed/transition type/etc ) but someone else may find the opposite. I think that issue drives maybe the less discussion situation with these kinds of tests. Not that the data you have isn't incredibly valuable ( it is ) but there is a different feeling about shafts than heads.

Or at least that's what get a sense of. Only speaking for myself, am I excited to hear your results? Definitely. But until you put a club in my hands with that shaft to see how it fits/improves my results, its hard to quantify if its good fit or not. I doubt most people are in the mood to shell out a ton of money to try a shaft out across all their clubs without trying them first. For me it's similar to pre-Distance Bash. Heard lots about the LINQ being a fantastic shaft. Read about it all over THP. But until I hit a few, I didn't really get it. I think that's the challenge all shaft manufacturers have. Unlike head manufacturers that can use outward appearance to get people interested and have them go try their clubs, shafts ( other than paint job ) are not that much different visually and it's harder to generate that level of excitement.

Looking at it from a consumer perspective, ideally I would be able to get my hands on 1 shaft as a trial/discounted purchase. I can then swap them ( or pay to have them swapped ) into a head i have that I have known distances/spin/LA/etc numbers on and feel the difference. If I like them, I can then buy the rest of the shafts. If I don't like it, I put my old shaft back in and I am out on a few bucks. But at least I know.
Beauty is.....

1) That’s why we review how we do. My job isn’t to tell you what is best or worst, just if a product does what it claims and how well is does or doesnt accomplish that. Ya know?

2) It’s going to be the big battle for this line for XCaliber imo, getting into places where we can go try them. Because without that it’s the ultimate uphill battle.

Appreciate you Tev!

Beauty is.....

1) That’s why we review how we do. My job isn’t to tell you what is best or worst, just if a product does what it claims and how well is does or doesnt accomplish that. Ya know?

Totally get it and appreciate it. That's why I love to see the data and love the process you go through. Numbers speak volumes. The fact that you are seeing such great improvements is huge. And it's that improvement that I think should drive interest in at least trying them. Which leads to your point #2 below

2) It’s going to be the big battle for this line for XCaliber imo, getting into places where we can go try them. Because without that it’s the ultimate uphill battle.

Exactly. At the end of the day, shafts are a feel decision. Heads ( and the stock shafts they come in ) are a looks decision a lot of the time. I'll use myself as an example. Even through I have never hit them, I would easily see myself buying a set of Forged Tec heads. With shafts, I gotta hit them first. I went through 8 different shafts when I did a recent 5w vs 3h fit. Not only did they not have the shafts I really wanted to try ( UST ) but the one that felt and performed the best was the one I would have NEVER thought would fit just by looking at the specs and sheets.

I feel for Robin and the uphill. I think the only way to combat that is to get more tests like yours but at a variety of swing speeds to get similar results and start asking for them. Or do a a program of selling a single shaft cheap to get someone hooked, and then sell them the rest of the set once they know they work. Dunno.

Appreciate you Tev!

Right back at ya. (y);) Keep doing what you are doing. There are us data/info nerds that love seeing what you do and the numbers you put up.

Hey Folks...thanks for all the supporting comments! Re shorter clubs, yea you not gong to get the increase in clubhead speed I've experienced 99% when player testing w/ 6 irons (and hybrids) because of the length of course, but I have tested 9s but not with the Quad LMonitor. they seem a bit longer and higher to me and some range rat friends like me...consistency is definitely there too.

So next up this on my plate this summer is heavier versions. We've had a lot of success with the Pro X irons with the 85 gm versions in the longer irons, 95 grams in the shorter irons (and even an older 105 gm version in the 9-wedges). I want to design 85, 95 and 105 going fwd...providence allowing...

And I just rec'd. some pretty good news. I was just awarded a patent for the rapid tapers. I'm after a trademark next for the shape (think coke bottle...).

But the news out of china isn't all good yet. Deliveries are still being impacted a lot regardless of what you may read. And HKong, as I'm pretty sure you've read had it beat but then got nonchalant - the virus is back in a big way there so we'll see that potential in the cities like Xiamen/Jimei++ where the factories are located <<oh yea...when you read "Hong Kong" that doesn't just include the island metro...but part of the mainland too like Kowloon where a lot of corporate headquarters are located...>>.

Blessings and 🙏ers to you All!!!

Re-post for the morning crowd.

Well, I say this with absolutely no BS attached to it. Wow.

First will be the same data I posted earlier today in the Tec U and SZ threads of the session yesterday of both with stock shaft (Catalyst), second will be the Tec U with the Xcaliber. As I just mentioned in the Tec thread, for a clear reference point, I did go back and hit the utility with the stock shaft in it again a few times post practice while I was warmed up and the numbers were in line with the first session posted here.

View attachment 8931585

View attachment 8931586

Wow, that difference in speed and spin is significant. Definitely something to that shaft design.

Wow, that difference in speed and spin is significant. Definitely something to that shaft design.
Right?

And it was reaffirmed this week with more data.

Wild.

Hey Folks...thanks for all the supporting comments! Re shorter clubs, yea you not gong to get the increase in clubhead speed I've experienced 99% when player testing w/ 6 irons (and hybrids) because of the length of course, but I have tested 9s but not with the Quad LMonitor. they seem a bit longer and higher to me and some range rat friends like me...consistency is definitely there too.

So next up this on my plate this summer is heavier versions. We've had a lot of success with the Pro X irons with the 85 gm versions in the longer irons, 95 grams in the shorter irons (and even an older 105 gm version in the 9-wedges). I want to design 85, 95 and 105 going fwd...providence allowing...

And I just rec'd. some pretty good news. I was just awarded a patent for the rapid tapers. I'm after a trademark next for the shape (think coke bottle...).

But the news out of china isn't all good yet. Deliveries are still being impacted a lot regardless of what you may read. And HKong, as I'm pretty sure you've read had it beat but then got nonchalant - the virus is back in a big way there so we'll see that potential in the cities like Xiamen/Jimei++ where the factories are located <<oh yea...when you read "Hong Kong" that doesn't just include the island metro...but part of the mainland too like Kowloon where a lot of corporate headquarters are located...>>.

Blessings and 🙏ers to you All!!!
I have to say, the bottom part is a bummer, but the top part (patent) is pretty freaking cool.

Congrats on the patent! And good luck trademarking the shape. I hope it goes well.

This is awesome. Seriously. Someone's testing a shaft that, through some sort of voodoo, has shown ball speed increase up to 5MPH and the guy that designed it is checking in. How cool is this?

How would the shaft work for a slow swing? Think driver club head speed of maybe 85.

Congrats on the patent! And good luck trademarking the shape. I hope it goes well.

This is awesome. Seriously. Someone's testing a shaft that, through some sort of voodoo, has shown ball speed increase up to 5MPH and the guy that designed it is checking in. How cool is this?

How would the shaft work for a slow swing? Think driver club head speed of maybe 85.
He doesnt always bounce in here too quickly but the shaft worked well for anyone who swung it. It's very strange how well the S flex tested for everyone. For an 85 mph swing it will work very well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The results make me want to reshaft all of my woods and long irons.

Has anyone tried the driver shafts yet?

Has anyone tried the driver shafts yet?
I have hit 5 different versions of them. What was the biggest thing that jumped out at me was the dispersion. They were great. The one he had as a final version had some changes to it. The high speed players seemed to struggle with it. So back to the drawing board. Its close, but he wants it perfect.
The RT iron shafts have been awesome. He doesnt want to release the driver shaft until it's just as impressive. Cant rush the process. Its breaking new ground.

I have hit 5 different versions of them. What was the biggest thing that jumped out at me was the dispersion. They were great. The one he had as a final version had some changes to it. The high speed players seemed to struggle with it. So back to the drawing board. Its close, but he wants it perfect.
The RT iron shafts have been awesome. He doesnt want to release the driver shaft until it's just as impressive. Cant rush the process. Its breaking new ground.

Are they anything like the accuflex creation shaft?

Are they anything like the accuflex creation shaft?
I dont know anything about the accuflex. I have never even heard of it.

I dont know anything about the accuflex. I have never even heard of it.

Accuflex was around for a number of years and won at every level. I believe near the end they were big on the long drive stuff too.
They went out of business a while back and the name was sold.

Accuflex was around for a number of years and won at every level. I believe near the end they were big on the long drive stuff too.
They went out of business a while back and the name was sold.
I had just googled them and I did find some old articles. Though I didnt find any pictures that viewed the entire shaft. Hard to know if they were the same setup.

The shape of the RT driver shaft is just like the iron. Not too far after the grip it drops right down. When I get home this week I can take a picture of an old prototype that's laying around.

I had just googled them and I did find some old articles. Though I didnt find any pictures that viewed the entire shaft. Hard to know if they were the same setup.

The shape of the RT driver shaft is just like the iron. Not too far after the grip it drops right down. When I get home this week I can take a picture of an old prototype that's laying around.

The creation shaft has a long parallel butt section with a faster taper toward the tip but like 14 yrs old. Really a good shaft so the whole concept I think is sound.

Check this cool thread, with the full review in it, out. (y)
Great review. Wish there was a 100+ gram option.

Ok...... I just hit the first version of the 95 gram Rapid taper iron shaft and I'm speachless.
So the range is closed as are simulators so I wasnt sure when I would get to test this latest version. I grabbed my shag bag and went down to the local range that's closed, but you can walk onto the property.
For comparison I had the 75g version of the RT iron along with a Tour X 85. All were in a Maltby PTM 6 iron head. So with out any data to back it up I just had to go by feel and what I saw.
FEEL..... I can honestly say I have never hit a better feeling setup. Transition through the ball, feel at impact and how the ball effortlessly launched. I was blown away after the third ball. I hit the other two about 5 each.. but looked at my pile of balls, selfishly went back to the 95. I have never been so upset that I ran out of balls to hit. It gave me that feeling of needing to hit it again and again.
It launched highish with a flat trajectory. Consistency was as good as i could ask for. Distance wise it seemed to be right up there with the other two but there was no contest what so ever on how GREAT they felt. Both of the others had a smooth feel but this is just another level.
I was previously excited to get more of the 75g to test but I'll lose my mind waiting for more of these 95s to make it through production.
Yes I'm a long time Xcaliber homer and catch crap for it often but,,, damn these are special.
You will notice how the butt section of the 95 is longer than the 75. Theory could be to split the difference and get an 85g option as well. I'm leaving for two weeks for the tug or I would be driving to NY to play golf with this tomorrow. Hopefully in two weeks I can get some data on this setup. Based on feel alone this is a Grand Slam.
Swing weight was a D0 with a Golf Pride CP2 midsize. And NO the white stripes are not final cosmetics. In comparison to the 75, the 75 felt a touch whippy in a way. Wasnt a bad difference, but that's the only thought that came to mind. They seemed to launch very similar but I could turn the 75 over much easier. Possibly because I can get through the ball so quickly as they are much lighter.
So much for being speachless.
8b8ee5425310156926f9720083ad2b53.jpg
aabe2175f84d916451f9e4b76027cde3.jpg
fb286fd219447d4f3db20331a7a2e0a0.jpg

Ok...... I just hit the first version of the 95 gram Rapid taper iron shaft and I'm speachless.
So the range is closed as are simulators so I wasnt sure when I would get to test this latest version. I grabbed my shag bag and went down to the local range that's closed, but you can walk onto the property.
For comparison I had the 75g version of the RT iron along with a Tour X 85. All were in a Maltby PTM 6 iron head. So with out any data to back it up I just had to go by feel and what I saw.
FEEL..... I can honestly say I have never hit a better feeling setup. Transition through the ball, feel at impact and how the ball effortlessly launched. I was blown away after the third ball. I hit the other two about 5 each.. but looked at my pile of balls, selfishly went back to the 95. I have never been so upset that I ran out of balls to hit. It gave me that feeling of needing to hit it again and again.
It launched highish with a flat trajectory. Consistency was as good as i could ask for. Distance wise it seemed to be right up there with the other two but there was no contest what so ever on how GREAT they felt. Both of the others had a smooth feel but this is just another level.
I was previously excited to get more of the 75g to test but I'll lose my mind waiting for more of these 95s to make it through production.
Yes I'm a long time Xcaliber homer and catch crap for it often but,,, damn these are special.
You will notice how the butt section of the 95 is longer than the 75. Theory could be to split the difference and get an 85g option as well. I'm leaving for two weeks for the tug or I would be driving to NY to play golf with this tomorrow. Hopefully in two weeks I can get some data on this setup. Based on feel alone this is a Grand Slam.
Swing weight was a D0 with a Golf Pride CP2 midsize. And NO the white stripes are not final cosmetics. In comparison to the 75, the 75 felt a touch whippy in a way. Wasnt a bad difference, but that's the only thought that came to mind. They seemed to launch very similar but I could turn the 75 over much easier. Possibly because I can get through the ball so quickly as they are much lighter.
So much for being speachless.
8b8ee5425310156926f9720083ad2b53.jpg
aabe2175f84d916451f9e4b76027cde3.jpg
fb286fd219447d4f3db20331a7a2e0a0.jpg

Sounds pretty awesome. That 95 is a weight I'd definitely want to check out!

Back