Xcaliber Xclusiv Shafts - Rapid Taper Series

Huge update today. I shafted up a set of PTM blacks with the Rapid Taper 75 g shafts. I did a 4, 6. 8 and PW and the 5, 7, 9 and GW were in the Tour x 85. The Tour X is a shaft I know extremely well. The PTM head has been my go to testing and demo head as it's easy to hit and has great feel. So the direct comparison will give me good info. Problem was I just wanted to hit the Rapid Taper irons again and again. It's so addictive.

It's hard to know where to start. In a word, to describe them.... Effortless. Swinging down and through the ball is such a joy. They just launch the ball with ease and seem to spin just right, tiny hop and stop. Some back up but not overly. Finding the center of the club head was beyond easy. The black irons show a very visible grass stain in the middle of the club after every shot. The feel going through the ball is so unlike any other shaft. It's that great feeling of not even hitting a ball.
A playing partner was an ex mini tour player, full time caddie now. So he knows gear. He immediately turned around and voiced how he didnt even have to look up to know it was a great shot. A few times he let out an OMG THAT FELT GOOD. Problem was on the first few holes everything was flying over the flag. The distance increase is REAL. It took a good six holes before I dialed in the distance.
Speaking of distance I have never had a combo that was so repetitive on hitting it the exact same distance. Never hitting a full set of PTMs I was playing with alignment and hit two balls from every where. Some times more. Distance wise the balls were never more than a few feet. Even the 4 iron was that way. I've had irons be close before but this was unique.
Speaking of 4 iron.. it's been years since I have even carried one.. yet all day long I was launching it all over the course. Pick a spot and let it RIP. A 75g shaft should not work for my 108-110 mph driver swing but it just does.
Hitting the ball cleanly is just such a great feeling. But yet when I hit one a bit fat but still complete the swing,l I barely lost any distance. The way this shaft stores and releases energy is just so different. Heavy rough.. no problem. Ball is COMING OUT. I want to be careful to call the shaft forgiving but that certainly comes to mind.
Chipping was tough at first because that quarter or half swing with acceleration through LAUNCHES the ball. Green side in heavy rough is a breeze. The stored energy just gets the ball out.
I have to speak of how these respond to a big swing... they dont care how hard you swing them. Easy swing or swing for thel fences, they work. They also still go dead straight.
Now I had the 95g Rapid Taper in another 6 iron and it certainly is a much more sturdy shaft. It has more of a solid feel in every way but still that great release of energy. Though the 75 feels looser... I cant say that the 95 plays better. Of the two weights I would naturally fit into the heavier weight but I just dont know if it's the better setup. Best way I could separate them is that the 75 seems to need less effort. I just need more time with them.
They are both exceptional and I truly believe they will change the shape of shafts in the future. These shafts are special.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A little side note...

When The Illustrious Popeye shoved The Gorgeous Olive Oye out of the way and snuck out to a closed range with his shag bag...it took him 6 shots before he ran back to his car and called me. His first words were..."I think this shaft is even better!!!!". In thinking about this and as I wrote on JMan's review thread...Popeye's a strong Kat with a pretty aggressive swing. Having almost an additional ounce of weight results in the shaft/club having more "heft" I think...and like I also said heft is an advanced, upper-level engineering term...for swinging' a hammer...:cool:...

But here's another little side comment. I designed the 95 grammar with a butt parallel 2" longer than the 75. (The new 85 will have a butt parallel in-between the 2, with the 105 version even longer than the 95...). My imagineering thought was this - perhaps as the weight goes up, maybe to get the same unique loading/unloading <increased clubhead speed>I need to gradually design the butt parallel (the stiffest geometrically section) to be progressively longer to effectively incorporate/compensate the increase in weight. And I'll be damn...I got lucky...

Continued health to ALL!!!
R

Played with the Rapid Tapers two days in a row. Yesterday it was blowing a gale at times and it was brutally cold.
One thing I was concerned with was a ballooning ball. These shafts do launch higher than usual. Hitting into some serious head and side winds I did not see any type of a balloon ball. Yes it lost distance but they stayed on line for the most part. Only tailing off late in flight. This setup plays very straight and seem to lack side spin. But launching higher that balloon ball was a concern. For wind performance I would say it was well above average.

Today in near pristine conditions I shot a great round of -2. Hit the green all day long and gave myself great putting chances on a lot of holes.

I also let three other golfers hit the Rapid Tapers today. Everyone's first remark is how they feel. That silky smooth, through the ball feel. They all loved the 95g weighted 6 iron as well.

I am on my third round with these and have the distances dialed in well. Being so repeatable has helped out in a big way. The PTMs are a non hollow design so that may help with the distance control. But either way, ask for a number and they deliver.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Got into the hitting bay with some of the clubs today.
First two photos show what I have been seeing on course. First two pictures are the 75g with the 6 iron. Two different swings with nearly the same results. One a pure swing,, one not so much but near same results. Has been kind of baffling to me on course. Yet here it is showing up on the sim. It was very consistent.
Next photo is of the 95g. I got marginally longer distance but hit this one straighter. Feel is better for me in that the club feels a bit more stable. For stronger players they are gonna want the 95. In the other bay a 6'2" heavy hitter.. he was blown away by the 95 and wants a set as soon as they are released. His comment was. 'I thought graphite shafts were for old guys.. these are unreal'.

Next up I had some prototype driver shafts with the Rapid Tapers. These have been a little tougher than the irons to get just right and the latest versions are great.
There were two groups. One group was 51" and how they were tip trimmed and the other 52" and how they were tip trimmed. 51/0" vs the 51/4" the second number was the tip trim.
The 51 were a little looser feeling. Super smooth but a little too loose. Played well but I wasn't thrilled with them. Next up the 52 line up.
52/1" vs the 52/4". These right away had just the right feel and produced some fantastic numbers. I was starting to get a bit squeezed on time so I had to get things done in a hurry. The 52/1 was the softer of the two and produced more spin. Was ranging from 2200 to just over 3000. Distance was in the 300 range. The 52/4 was throwing up knuckle balls for spin with under 2000 repeatedly. I believe the high as about 2200. Yet the numbers were still extremely close. The 52/4 felt stiffer and not quite as smooth as the 52/1.
I brought back the 51/4 to see if I could match the 300 yard numbers and I just couldn't.
Tomorrow I will put the 52/1 and 52/4 in play on course. All testing was done in a 9.0 Sim head. Photos below are of the 52/1 and 4.
I also put up the best 51/4.
I also have 52/2 and 52/3 shafts which I did not get a chance to hit, but they should be just slightly stiffer all the way up to the 51/4.
I wish I had more time to collect data but it was only an hour.
Second to last photo shows the difference in trimming. The longer butt section of the two is the 52/4.
Last shot is what the Pro did with the 95g rapid taper 6 iron. And it was right down the middle.
5d85490ae3ce95c289358f1dd82e979b.jpg
e780dabbcddf29c72d2084305d508faf.jpg
eab1f2a4061520a03347f9860a02e400.jpg
54dfc667a5d5d38f0c4161953ab991e5.jpg
777e1db8bf526b6d68df89fe5095b7cf.jpg
c994d48c4df9a29fdb979edfc61221b5.jpg
eee2bb73e8dbd846ec9dde3ec22061ae.jpg
394ae800d2ec578297dcf2cdcca7e707.jpg
c30ba7a2cb45e37b4052d10e0ac768f8.jpg
eda3f1ee4bb5b57502ae04a3fe8ba0ea.jpg
f79a4f1b9710f42ac24e44cbc1f9d8c4.jpg

Been wondering if the rapid tapers would ever make it to retail when you showed them to me so long ago. They sound awesome.

Been wondering if the rapid tapers would ever make it to retail when you showed them to me so long ago. They sound awesome.
Its been a long process and would have been here already of the world didn't go sideways with the Rona. Looks like they may make retail in June some time.

After reading these reviews among the threads I must try these! Sincerely hope these make it to retail sooner than later....

Put one of the 75g shafts in a 2 hybrid. Its 19° and again like the 4 iron.. not a loft im good with.
Well I can erase that thought. After a half dozen swings i was hitting a straight to very slight fade. Beautiful trajectory that just kept going.
What continues to shock me with these Rapid Taper shafts is thier ability to cover up a fat strike on the ball. I let 4 guys on the range hit it.
First words out of each of them... Wow what feel this has. I was also watching the strike quality vs the ball flight. Fat or well struck doesn't seem to matter. The ball Flys on almost the same trajectory.
Once I got it back I was able to put a long string of shots down range. Off a Tee or from the ground I did very well with both. This won't be as accurate as the 4 iron but that not what its for. Seemed to be good for 225, I built it a little long. I can get 210-215 out of the 4.
S0 far these shafts have made the biggest impact in the long irons. For me to a freakish level.
I did meet the first player that struggled with the 75g in some short irons. I swapped in an 85g Pro X and he did fine. I studied his swing with the 75g with a PW and as the shaft released his body was well left of target. That same action with the pro X was straight. I had him hold his shoulder longer inline and let the club do its job. Once he figured it out i couldn't get it out of his hands. He loved the feel and the way the shaft just throws the ball in the air.
Funny how his same swing with the 2 hybrid was fine.. right down the middle.
bdaaf37b96b4115a0071edeb6b59dcf7.jpg
acfe47539ee7f4b1cd7b84070453d56b.jpg

Put one of the 75g shafts in a 2 hybrid. Its 19° and again like the 4 iron.. not a loft im good with.
Well I can erase that thought. After a half dozen swings i was hitting a straight to very slight fade. Beautiful trajectory that just kept going.
What continues to shock me with these Rapid Taper shafts is thier ability to cover up a fat strike on the ball. I let 4 guys on the range hit it.
First words out of each of them... Wow what feel this has. I was also watching the strike quality vs the ball flight. Fat or well struck doesn't seem to matter. The ball Flys on almost the same trajectory.
Once I got it back I was able to put a long string of shots down range. Off a Tee or from the ground I did very well with both. This won't be as accurate as the 4 iron but that not what its for. Seemed to be good for 225, I built it a little long. I can get 210-215 out of the 4.
S0 far these shafts have made the biggest impact in the long irons. For me to a freakish level.
I did meet the first player that struggled with the 75g in some short irons. I swapped in an 85g Pro X and he did fine. I studied his swing with the 75g with a PW and as the shaft released his body was well left of target. That same action with the pro X was straight. I had him hold his shoulder longer inline and let the club do its job. Once he figured it out i couldn't get it out of his hands. He loved the feel and the way the shaft just throws the ball in the air.
Funny how his same swing with the 2 hybrid was fine.. right down the middle.
bdaaf37b96b4115a0071edeb6b59dcf7.jpg
acfe47539ee7f4b1cd7b84070453d56b.jpg

Sounds like it would be fun to try that shaft in my hybrids

I put the 2 FDI hybrid in play today and color me impressed. There is a particular 90° dogleg par 5 that can cause you fits.
First leg from the back tees is a 240 yard shot that needs to be really close to that 240 so you have an alley to the green. Tee shot must carry some trees to get you to just the right spot.
I was worried u might not hit it high enough yet it launched just fine, straight as could be. When I got down to the ball it was right in the middle giving me a good look at the hole.
From there its an uphill 225 shot that has to be straight. I didn't think I made great contact but the ball launched well, a little right of target but stayed straight.
I was on the front of the green 15' away. Tap in birdie. This hole has given me fits lately and I can't rember the last time I was on in two.

I love this shaft in all of the irons but in a hybrid or a 4 iron, its a game changer. When this comes out it will be available to Hackers Paradise Members and I implore you guys to at a minimum try it in a hybrid.

Popeye,

Now I have to get (wishing to try new hybrids anyway) a hybrid head to try with these shafts! To be clear, did you install a 75g or a 95g shaft in the hybrid?

Thanks,
David

Popeye,

Now I have to get (wishing to try new hybrids anyway) a hybrid head to try with these shafts! To be clear, did you install a 75g or a 95g shaft in the hybrid?

Thanks,
David
I installed the 75g S flex in the 2 FDI hybrid.
For direct comparison I have an Xcaliber Pro X 85g S flex in my 3 FDI. The 2 FDI. Is a lot easier to hit. Far more accurate and consistent. I almost can't explain it.
That Pro X 85 that used to be the Tour X 85 has been my favorite shaft for a long time so I know it well. That shaft has also morphed into the Mystic i8. Which is an even better version of the Pro.. anyways. Its not like the Pro X 85 does not fit my game.

Last edited:
Thanks Popeye. I am really looking forward to hitting the 75g shaft when they are available. Probably will get the 95g shaft as well too!

Thanks JMan. I have read all of your reviews on the new XCaliber lines. I am ready for them to be here already!

Thanks JMan. I have read all of your reviews on the new XCaliber lines. I am ready for them to be here already!
I’ll have a new thread up on the 95’s here in a day or too! (y)

Ill be very surprised if you don't love them.

I am waiting for the 95 thread, very interested in that weight range.

I am waiting for the 95 thread, very interested in that weight range.
Will be up in the next day or so. Trying to work out some things.

I forget who was asking about the 75g Reg shafts but I gave them a go this week. For lack of a tester with the 6 iron swing in the low 80s I throttled back to my 75% swing.
I was seeing some smash factors in the 1.39- 1.42 range with excellent numbers. Smooth as could be and repeatedly straight.
Full swing letting it just rip they did ok. Little bit left and right But with that 75% swing they were awesome.
Both myself and the guy manning the LM were pretty surprised at the returns.

I forget who was asking about the 75g Reg shafts but I gave them a go this week. For lack of a tester with the 6 iron swing in the low 80s I throttled back to my 75% swing.
I was seeing some smash factors in the 1.39- 1.42 range with excellent numbers. Smooth as could be and repeatedly straight.
Full swing letting it just rip they did ok. Little bit left and right But with that 75% swing they were awesome.
Both myself and the guy manning the LM were pretty surprised at the returns.

You may have already discussed but I will ask as I can't recall if you did, but did you happen to observe the launch (med or high) and apex(peak height) / angle of descent (number I use for predicting roll out on greens) #'s for the 75g R flex? That is the shaft I am interested in. I prefer high initial launch but not ballon type trajectory. Thank you and I enjoy your reviews.

You may have already discussed but I will ask as I can't recall if you did, but did you happen to observe the launch (med or high) and apex(peak height) / angle of descent (number I use for predicting roll out on greens) #'s for the 75g R flex? That is the shaft I am interested in. I prefer high initial launch but not ballon type trajectory. Thank you and I enjoy your reviews.
They launched with a medium high trajectory. 2.5 yards of roll out. 13 ° inital launch descent angle was 39°, ball speed was 119- 120. Beautiful flight, felt great and made me think about swinging 75% all the time.
BTW I have a steep AOA.

They launched with a medium high trajectory. 2.5 yards of roll out. 13 ° inital launch descent angle was 39°, ball speed was 119- 120. Beautiful flight, felt great and made me think about swinging 75% all the time.
BTW I have a steep AOA.

Thank you. I need those shafts!! :)

So, I’m going to start hopping back in here to update the new 95g shafts I have in hand for review rather than using the 75g review thread, just for ease.

My epoxy arrived today so I’ve got one curing in the adapter for the 2020 Cobra Forged Tec 4U that I reviewed the 75g in. This will let me get some side by sides of those.

Im also going to install the other shafts into a 6i and 9i of my Miura CB 1008 set, install on those will happen tomorrow evening after I get some numbers with them and their current shafts.

I should have the 4U on the course tomorrow and hopefully start on the GC2.

Back