XXIO Prime Driver

Anyone have experience with the Prime 10.5 degree versus the 11.5 degree or the Prime versus the XXIO 8 or 9? I am considering the Prime as a replacement for my 10.5 degree XXIO 8 with regular shaft.

Not specific lofts, but I hit both. Prime launched higher for me than the 9

I have the 9 driver with the 9.5˚ loft.

Several owners seriously suggested comparing ball flight of both the 9.5˚ and 10.5˚ prior to purchase because of the very high ball flight they were getting on their 10.5˚ drivers. I had to do a blind purchase because the XXIO products are only available in Canada through online purchases. I was a bit nervous but I purchased the 9.5˚ and am so happy with the ball flight that I'm getting. If you are considering the Prime it will most likely give you even higher ball flight.

The best advise I can give you is to hit them both yourself (if at all possible) and see what kind of ball flight YOU are getting.

I have the 9 driver with the 9.5˚ loft.

Several owners seriously suggested comparing ball flight of both the 9.5˚ and 10.5˚ prior to purchase because of the very high ball flight they were getting on their 10.5˚ drivers. I had to do a blind purchase because the XXIO products are only available in Canada through online purchases. I was a bit nervous but I purchased the 9.5˚ and am so happy with the ball flight that I'm getting. If you are considering the Prime it will most likely give you even higher ball flight.

The best advise I can give you is to hit them both yourself (if at all possible) and see what kind of ball flight YOU are getting.

Thanks for the input. I do hit the XXIO 8 10.5 degree pretty high so the 11.5 degree Prime going higher is a concern. With the potential for more backspin which I do not need. But none of our local retailers stock XXIO to demo. I do see some availability of pre-owned XXIO 9 9.5 degrees on eBay (Global Golf). What shaft are you using?

Thanks for the input. I do hit the XXIO 8 10.5 degree pretty high so the 11.5 degree Prime going higher is a concern. With the potential for more backspin which I do not need. But none of our local retailers stock XXIO to demo. I do see some availability of pre-owned XXIO 9 9.5 degrees on eBay (Global Golf). What shaft are you using?

I use the SR (stiff/regular) shaft and it still feels very whippy to me when I waggle the club. Check my signature for more details regarding the shafts I'm using.

I use the SR (stiff/regular) shaft and it still feels very whippy to me when I waggle the club. Check my signature for more details regarding the shafts I'm using.

Thanks for the input on the SR shaft. I have the R in my XXIO 8 and have no issues. I see you have XXIO fairways and hybrids as well. Same performance characteristics as the driver?

Thanks for the input on the SR shaft. I have the R in my XXIO 8 and have no issues. I see you have XXIO fairways and hybrids as well. Same performance characteristics as the driver?

I'm very pleased with all of the XXIO clubs that are in my bag. The driver qualities are replicated in both the fairway woods and hybrids - great looking crowns, powerful/pleasing sound, ball jumps off of the club face, very forgiving club faces, high launch angles due to low centre of gravity, and long. For me they simply inspire confidence when I'm looking down at the ball at address. If you like the XXIO driver, you will not be disappointed with their fairway woods or hybrids. So yes - you do have the same driver characteristics.

Other than price (on the expensive side) the only criticism I have is that there are absolutely no hosel adjustments. Most modern clubs offer this feature today. An adjustable hosel would allow you to dial-in these weapons in to your specific needs.

I'm very pleased with all of the XXIO clubs that are in my bag. The driver qualities are replicated in both the fairway woods and hybrids - great looking crowns, powerful/pleasing sound, ball jumps off of the club face, very forgiving club faces, high launch angles due to low centre of gravity, and long. For me they simply inspire confidence when I'm looking down at the ball at address. If you like the XXIO driver, you will not be disappointed with their fairway woods or hybrids. So yes - you do have the same driver characteristics.

Other than price (on the expensive side) the only criticism I have is that there are absolutely no hosel adjustments. Most modern clubs offer this feature today. An adjustable hosel would allow you to dial-in these weapons in to your specific needs.

I know at one point you were undecided on whether to get the XXIO Prime or the XXIO 9 driver. I am also in that boat. Can I ask what made you decide on the XXIO 9?

Also, I notice you have the S/R shaft, what is your swing speed? Mine is about 86 so I was planning on getting the R shaft.

I know at one point you were undecided on whether to get the XXIO Prime or the XXIO 9 driver. I am also in that boat. Can I ask what made you decide on the XXIO 9?

Also, I notice you have the S/R shaft, what is your swing speed? Mine is about 86 so I was planning on getting the R shaft.

Be prepared for a lot of tip action.
I'm in the low 90's and tried the R flex and it felt looser than any Ladies flex in the shop.

Yes, I am concerned about that. I wrote XXIO USA and received these responses:

Hello

I am very interested in your clubs, in particular the XXIO 9 driver to start with, however there are no dealers near me, so I intend to order by phone from Edwin Watts.

I am uncertain as to which shaft to get, R or SR. Is there a chart or recommendation available that relates swing speed to shaft selection for this driver?

Thank you!

don

The first response was

Hi Don,

The SR flex is actually a stiff/regular. The XXIO Prime – 80mph or less swing speed. The XXIO9 – moderate speed swing golfers.

Hope this helps.

Ruth Seja
Customer Service

I replied:

Well, not quite enough information. For the XXIO 9 - for what swing speeds would you recommend a "R" flex, what swing speeds for a "SR" flex and what swing speeds for an "S" flex. It is important to get the right flex for me, and my brothers want one too.

Thank you.

don

and then received this reply

Hello Don,

If you are swinging your Driver at 100+ you would need the SR otherwise R is a good choice. Thank you.

Regards,
Rick Macias
Customer Service Agent
Srixon / Cleveland Golf / XXIO

I was not overly impressed with their responses, but I think they were probably right. I had forgotten what the first one said about the Prime until now.

I had the xxio 8 in SR and it did feel whippy when you waggled it. However it does not feel whippy in the swing. I now play an R flex in my M1 and the SR flex in the XXIO felt similar. I only have 75-80mph driver swing.

Unfortunately I was not in a position where I could evaluate any of the XXIO product line on a launch monitor or at the range. I relied heavily on people comments on this forum, and paid particular attention to the people who actually owned the these clubs.

Several times I asked what was the difference was between the XXXIO 9 driver and the Prime, and I don't recall ever getting a clear answer prior to purchasing my driver. Since purchasing, it sounds like the Prime driver does launch the ball about a degree higher the XXIO 9 driver. Also, the $100 USD savings helped sway me to making that decision. Never hit the Prime driver but I'm very happy with the results that I'm seeing with the XXIO 9 driver.

Regarding swing speed. My swing speed is like your's, around 85 MPH. I recall others posting with similar swing speeds and they thought that the SR flex shaft worked very well for them. I'm glad I went with the SR shaft vs the R shaft based on the feel and results that I am seeing with mine.

All XXIO drivers have a very low COG and drive the ball extremely high. My 9.5˚ driver launches the ball high. I would say higher than others who have 10.5˚ drivers. My launch angles are more typical with others who game their 12˚ drivers. A few XXIO owners advised people to consider a lower lofted driver based on the results they were getting. I followed their advise and I'm happy with the results I'm seeing. It would have been a much easier decision if the loft could be adjusted at the hosel. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

I would always advise anyone to try any club prior to purchase. However, like myself that is not always possible.

Hope that helps.

That's fantastic information, thank you for taking the time! I had not thought about the loft, and just planned to order a 10.5 because that is what I always have had. Driving is the strongest part of my game and I do hit up on the ball so get pretty good height. I have a few drivers but I keep coming back to my Bombtech 10.5 with a Matrix HD Radix S VI (Regular Flex). My average drive ( using Arccos) is 205 but that includes my mishits. When I connect, I'm around 230 or a bit better total.

Can you, or anyone, compare your drives in distance and accuracy with the XXIO compared to your previous driver? I have purchased drivers before and despite the advertising, found them no better, or worse, than my Bombtech.

Thanks again to these posters, I appreciate it very much.

That's fantastic information, thank you for taking the time! I had not thought about the loft, and just planned to order a 10.5 because that is what I always have had. Driving is the strongest part of my game and I do hit up on the ball so get pretty good height. I have a few drivers but I keep coming back to my Bombtech 10.5 with a Matrix HD Radix S VI (Regular Flex). My average drive ( using Arccos) is 205 but that includes my mishits. When I connect, I'm around 230 or a bit better total.

Can you, or anyone, compare your drives in distance and accuracy with the XXIO compared to your previous driver? I have purchased drivers before and despite the advertising, found them no better, or worse, than my Bombtech.

Thanks again to these posters, I appreciate it very much.

Previously I played a Titleist 915 D2 9.5˚ driver with the loft set at 10.5˚ and my good drives on flat fairways were typically around 220 yards. I found that heel or toe hits were punishing with respect to distance.

Today my XXIO 9 driver gives me the same 220 yard drive when hit off of the heel or toe. My good shots now are in the 230 to 240 yard range. It is not uncommon at all for me to rocket good drives in the 250 to 260 yard range, and occasionally (once every 3 to 5 rounds) 260 to 275 yards when hit perfectly off of the screws. These numbers were just not possible with any of my previous drivers. XXIO drivers just work. I think of it as God's gift to us slow swing speed golfers. Distance that I just didn't believe was possible with my swing speed.

Keep in mind that bad swings are still going to produce bad shots.

Off the deck from 245 and have a chance to save par after a penalty.

Come on JB this is Internet golf. You mean 7i right ?? :)

Actually I have found my 10.5 XXIO Prime is so efficient at hitting off the deck that I use it instead of a 3 wood. I bought a High Heat Knuthgolf driver that works best for driving and use the XXIO off the deck. At first I cringed at using an $800 driver off the deck but it works and is consistent.

Actually I have found my 10.5 XXIO Prime is so efficient at hitting off the deck that I use it instead of a 3 wood. I bought a High Heat Knuthgolf driver that works best for driving and use the XXIO off the deck. At first I cringed at using an $800 driver off the deck but it works and is consistent.

Im surprised at how well I hit it off the deck. Low and deep weighting has allowed me to really stay down on the ball (club face wise).

That's awesome...I can't fathom hitting a driver off the deck well, but if I did, I think I'd remember it for many years, especially if I set myself up to save par or better!

That's awesome...I can't fathom hitting a driver off the deck well, but if I did, I think I'd remember it for many years, especially if I set myself up to save par or better!

I missed the putt sadly.

I am considering buying an XXIO 9 Prime to replace my XXIO 8 DST driver. Does anyone have experience with both to tell me what differences I might expect between the two? I have a regular shaft, about 80mph swing speed, using the 10.5 degree in the XXIO 8. Thanks.

I have hit several XXIO drivers including the Prime. I love the feel and control with them. However, the price point was too high for me to even consider getting it.

Patience rewarded. Just bought an XXIO Prime for $450, no tax, free shipping in mint condition. Pretty excited to finally be able to afford this one.

Back