XXIO Prime Driver

Patience rewarded. Just bought an XXIO Prime for $450, no tax, free shipping in mint condition. Pretty excited to finally be able to afford this one.

Great buy and I'm sure that you will enjoy the club. BTW... what shaft did you end up getting?

Great buy and I'm sure that you will enjoy the club. BTW... what shaft did you end up getting?

Thanks to your input I went with the stiff regular :). 10.5 degrees.

I had the opportunity to play with both the XXIO 9 regular driver and the XXIO 9 SR and could not really tell the difference as far as performance went. I also have the 6 and 5 XXIO Prime utility clubs with a regular shaft and love them, so I got the Prime driver in Regular. I haven't had it very long but I seem to hit it straighter than I did with the XXIO 9.

I use the Arccos system so my distances are pretty accurate, driver averages 203, mostly calculated with the XXIO 9s. I played today with the Prime and hit a real pretty drive with the Prime 239 yards.

My average drive today was 207, not counting 2 that were of unknown distance into the water :)

I had the opportunity to play with both the XXIO 9 regular driver and the XXIO 9 SR and could not really tell the difference as far as performance went. I also have the 6 and 5 XXIO Prime utility clubs with a regular shaft and love them, so I got the Prime driver in Regular. I haven't had it very long but I seem to hit it straighter than I did with the XXIO 9.

I use the Arccos system so my distances are pretty accurate, driver averages 203, mostly calculated with the XXIO 9s. I played today with the Prime and hit a real pretty drive with the Prime 239 yards.

My average drive today was 207, not counting 2 that were of unknown distance into the water :)

Great feedback, thanks. I have been using the XXIO 8 Regular shaft for the past year. Have been looking to upgrade to the Prime. Are you using the (new) 9 Prime or 8 Prime? $800+ for the 9 Prime is out of my reach :)

Its the new 9 Prime.

Previously my hybrids were the Titleist 816 H1 but I hit those Prime 5 & 6 hybrids so well that I don't even carry a 4 hybrid anymore. I am probably going to trade-in the Titleists and get the 7 hybrid soon.

I have the XXIO 9 7 wood so if I need longer than the 5 hybrid, I go to the 7 wood.

What amazes me is how easy these Prime Drivers are to hit off the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the input that the 8 Prime launches higher than the regular 8. For me, it launches way too high. Still love the 8, but the search for an improvement continues.

I read the input that the 8 Prime launches higher than the regular 8. For me, it launches way too high. Still love the 8, but the search for an improvement continues.

XXIO drivers will typically launch higher than most other if not all OEM drivers. I don't have any experience with the Prime driver but my Series 9 driver launches extremely high. For example, my BIL games a 12* TM driver and my 9* Series 9 launches higher.

XXIO drivers will typically launch higher than most other if not all OEM drivers. I don't have any experience with the Prime driver but my Series 9 driver launches extremely high. For example, my BIL games a 12* TM driver and my 9* Series 9 launches higher.

Do you think they are understating the loft ? Meaning 9* is really 11-12*+ or is it the shafts? Or both ?

Do you think they are understating the loft ? Meaning 9* is really 11-12*+ or is it the shafts? Or both ?

My understanding is that the high ball flight is attributed to a very low MOI in the driver's head. IMO the XXIO drivers are not "playing" with the loft numbers.

Well, I hit some high drives with my Prime, but only if I sky it. My normal, non-screw up drives have a great trajectory. My Arccos, which was saying my "smart distance" was 205 is now saying 217, and that's fine by me! :)

After reading Papaws post I have used it off the deck about 9 times, 3 muffed, 6 great! Today I hit a poor drive into the woods on the left ( I do that when I try to "steer" it ) on a par 5. Then I dropped one and hit the driver - muffed it, maybe 20 yards. By this time I had nothing to lose so I tried it again. 256 yards to the side of the green, a one putt and I'm done :D

As I said above, I have used the XXIO 9 at 9.5* and the Prime at 10.5* and I find the height about the same but I hit the Prime further and I think straighter.

Maybe it just needs to be teed a little lower. I don't get much height on most of my hits off the deck and I used to use the green "4 yards more" tees which are the tallest and now I use the blue which are a little shorter.

Anyway, I, for the first time ever, have no interest in any other drivers! Whew! That feels good!

My understanding is that the high ball flight is attributed to a very low MOI in the driver's head. IMO the XXIO drivers are not "playing" with the loft numbers.

They do not have a low MOI actually. In fact it's rather high. They have a very low center of gravity and they keep weight below the ball and are not the same low spin that many other companies are searching for now.

For some reason, there are golfers that assume that only loft or shaft are responsible for ball flight, but the truth is, the design will play as much a role.

On the one I have the loft is perfectly fine.
They do use a very high launch, light weight shaft, because of who these clubs are geared at. It's not just with the drivers either, the irons launch like crazy too, again which hits the target demo they want.

Well, I hit some high drives with my Prime, but only if I sky it. My normal, non-screw up drives have a great trajectory. My Arccos, which was saying my "smart distance" was 205 is now saying 217, and that's fine by me! :)

After reading Papaws post I have used it off the deck about 9 times, 3 muffed, 6 great! Today I hit a poor drive into the woods on the left ( I do that when I try to "steer" it ) on a par 5. Then I dropped one and hit the driver - muffed it, maybe 20 yards. By this time I had nothing to lose so I tried it again. 256 yards to the side of the green, a one putt and I'm done :D

As I said above, I have used the XXIO 9 at 9.5* and the Prime at 10.5* and I find the height about the same but I hit the Prime further and I think straighter.

Maybe it just needs to be teed a little lower. I don't get much height on most of my hits off the deck and I used to use the green "4 yards more" tees which are the tallest and now I use the blue which are a little shorter.

Anyway, I, for the first time ever, have no interest in any other drivers! Whew! That feels good!

I have had the XXIO 8 10.5 regular shaft as my gamer for a year. Last week I got The XXIO 8 Prime 10.5 degree, regular shaft. I was supposed to get the Stiff Regular but did not. Every shot I hit with the Prime was a moonball and did not carry any further than the XXIO 8. My swing speed is 83mph, so I thought the Prime would be great for me. I am normally a high ball hitter. Fortunately, my seller let me return it ($450, so whew!). Bought the GBB Epic 10.5 degree, Lite Green M+ Shaft today. Trajectory mid-high (perfect). The Prime was beautiful, but not the right driver for me.

They do not have a low MOI actually. In fact it's rather high. They have a very low center of gravity and they keep weight below the ball and are not the same low spin that many other companies are searching for now.

For some reason, there are golfers that assume that only loft or shaft are responsible for ball flight, but the truth is, the design will play as much a role.

Thanks for the correction JB. I did mean to say COG instead of MOI.

Thanks for the correction JB. I did mean to say COG instead of MOI.

I had a feeling my friend.
Got to spend some time with XXIO the last couple of days and in one of our coming up episodes, the Dean of THP has a killer segment on the new Prime.

I had a feeling my friend.
Got to spend some time with XXIO the last couple of days and in one of our coming up episodes, the Dean of THP has a killer segment on the new Prime.

Looking forward to that episode to hear your thoughts.

Back