You’re AHA!!! Moment

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever been playing or practicing and had an AHA! moment that really helped your game long term?

I had one when I was hitting balls , at the range, and was actually able to feel that I was fanning my hands open on the backswing. I was able to correct the problem and have hit ball much more solid ever since!!

How about you?????

Driving through with the hips while working on drills to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. Sometimes mid round. It's usually the same thing for me. I'll gradually get more pronounced with a swing flaw throughout the round until I hopefully get the ah ha moment. Last time out I was swaying off the ball. Thankfully a shadow showed me how much. Next swing I stayed steady and I starting hitting the ball much better.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

I’m still fairly new to the game seems like there are so many aha moments lol

But about two months ago at the range I shortened my back swing to be more compact while keeping my wrist nice and loose. Some reason it feels like I hit the ball a lot better with less effort? So I just stuck with it since.

Have you ever been playing or practicing and had an AHA! moment that really helped your game long term?

I had one when I was hitting balls , at the range, and was actually able to feel that I was fanning my hands open on the backswing. I was able to correct the problem and have hit ball much more solid ever since!!

How about you?????
I was practice swinging in slow motion and looked to the right and saw myself in the mirror and realized I never uncoiled...I just turned closed and swayed left. Game changer! That and a grip change to a stronger position has changed the game for me.

Oh and I realized a few weeks ago that I am left with my body without thinking. Making that correction has been huge.

Last time out I was swaying off the ball.
OMG, that is my flaw... Anytime I'm struggling with striking the ball well the first thing I think of is the sway. Sometimes, when I'm concentrating on keeping my head behind the ball, I star swaying. Sway too much and I can't get back to where I need to be to make solid contact. When I hitting the ball poorly I always as the group, "Am I swaying".

My aha moment was when I realized I should work on what people who have seen my swing recommended, not try out every single thing I saw on YouTube.

How about you?????
I've had lots of "AHA!" moments, but none that have lasted long term...always fleeting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes. Removing tension in my right elbow.

I'm right handed and without realizing, at set up my right elbow was dead straight. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing for others but for me it sure was. That's because it would interfere or at least delay my right elbow from hinging toward my side. The result was the more often than not, dreaded contact toward the toe.

When I concentrate to release the tension from the elbow, even feeling it sag some, my take away feels much more fluid and in sequence. Shots are waaaay more often in the middle of the club now.

Distance jumped too, squared shots can do that for ya.

I have an AhHaa moment every few weeks. Lol

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

One was probably about 5 years ago when I changed my grip. I had right hand not even rotated close to my left at all, then I put it on top to make the V with my thumb and index in both hands, so much more consistent.

It was realizing that I shouldn't only rotate back and forward.

Honorable mention was figuring out that I rotate my wrists WIDE open before I sh**k my GW.

Dropping my right shoulder to help my drives

My aha moment came when I realized I don't have to pull down on the shaft -- just leave the club at the top, press that front foot into the ground, the hips and chest will turn, and the clubhead hits the ball - just need to stay connected, and release the club.

Mine isn't a swing thought but more I got so p*ssed off and down on myself during a round that I realized I was putting too much pressure on myself and not having fun. From that day forward I make sure I'm in it for fun and the rest will come along.

For me it was the Malaska “over the top from the inside” swing/feel.

It was further reinforced for me when I learned about beta torque in the swing.

Then it was cemented when I learned when all the best players start to release the club thanks to measurements of the kinematic sequence. I was actually waiting too long to release which resulted in a push or late flip. It sounds different, but it all relates to Malaska’s method, he just explains it much simpler than it sounds on paper.

Dropping my right shoulder to help my drives

Same for me. Also left leg extension at impact to help with AOA

Sent from HTX

If every "AH-HA" moment I ever had was long term I would been on tour a long time ago.
Ive had AHA's ,....revelations, ....born agains,...... now Ive got it's,.... Oh yea this is the way's,......now I understand's....etc. etc, etc. you name it Ive had it.
The only problem is it never lasts for a looooooong time.

Knowing I will hit the shot I am trying to hit instead of hoping I will. Not so much a moment or swing thought but a state of mind that lead to lower scores.

As many have commented I have multiple "aha" moments throughout the year, unfortunately I tend to lose many of them or they don't trangress to the next outing following. My latest though was late in 2017 before old man winter settled in and the sticks began their winter hibernation.

I have historically been a pretty good chipper of the ball around the greens and always had a knack of getting ball within 3 ft. circle of the hole. Last year I got new wedges and honestly saw my chipping accuracy/distance control fall off considerably. Anyway, late in the year I discovered that I was not watching the ball all the way through impact and was coming off the ball slightly which had my eyes controlling my swing rather than swinging with feel. It is difficult to describe but I was just coming up a fraction too early. Once I had my aha moment I would say for the last 10 games of the year my chipping improved 90% from where it was for most of 2017.

Mine came after getting a massage earlier this season to help with flexibility and a bad back. I played 2 days later and never had a better ball striking day. Midway through the round I'm like wtf am I doing different???
Full turn...I had been so out of sequence I had no idea where the ball may be going. I stretch everyday, chiro once a month for maint, and hope to get massage prior to Bama trip next weekend.

Last edited:
I've had a couple I try not to forget, but do regularly :

-starting my downswing with my hips. Has helped me to stop coming over the top. Or I "feel" that. Direction control has improved.
-Finding the bottom of my swing, before hitting the ball, lol. making a pre shot practice swing until I find the bottom of the swing for the lie I have. Chunks and skulls have decreased dramatically. Good contact has increased.
-holding the ball a little firmer than I have been. This winter at the range discovered I was holding a shaft so softly, the act of striking the ball was deflecting the blade angle. Direction has improved
-Moving the ball back in my stance and flattening my takeaway for driver strokes. Slice has all but disappeared and gets more FIRs

Started writing these down in a notebook which I leave in the car. I try to read the notes before practice or playing

I am a slow learner and have a bad memory

When I was 16 I learned how to supinate the left wrist one day and really compress the ball thanks to Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons. I went from being a 5 index to a scratch in about 3 months and my ball striking has not really improved since that moment 36 years ago.

long-term? nope. short-term? all the time.

I hava an AHA moment every time I walk off the 18th green. Not to play this game again, but I always find myself on the 1st tee a few days later!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Back