You are playing in a net tournament. What is the lowest score that you think should win?

So was in a tournament and -8 net won today. There were some grumblings but nobody boo'ed him when he got his trophy. I have seen a room full of people boo a team that won the D flight by 20+ strokes due to their sandbagging.

What score do you see and say they had a good day vs we just got sandbagged? For me -4 or -5 depending to the course. Anything lower and I think someone is fudging.

Individual and stroke play. No gimmicks or mulligans.
What was the -8 person's handicap and what did he shoot?

My biggest issue is when these guys do it over both rounds in a tourney and expect you to believe it's a fluke.

No, you didn't shoot close to par twice in a row as a 16. You're a lying, sandbagging POS. ;)

-5 seems reasonable but cheating sandbaggers have made it extremely difficult to assume anything but the worst if a mid/high cap legitimately catches lightning in a bottle during a tournament. Odds show going much lower would be rare but if it's going to happen it almost certainly would be a higher cap. Happened to me once. First time I ever broke 80 was final round of our two day base championship very early in my 'golf career'. 79 off an 18 cap won 'Overall Net Champ' handily, even with my 93 on day 1. Was very fortunate the course manager was in my 4some both days to help blunt the pitchforks by letting others know that I hit it the same 'crappy' both days but got incredibly lucky: 3 hole outs, 2 were >50 yards, included a 60 yarder for bogey six. Made some long putts, just 23 putts all day (I only remember that number because the manager pointed it out during presentation). It took me @10 years to break 80 for a second time and I KNOW I've never sniffed 23 putts since.

Last edited:
And because I know it is going to get ask. Players tees with 71.5/131

That's why league with guys who knows you is fun. I've had some great 9's where the guy you're playing just kinda laughs and says "you had to do it against me?!?!?!"

I will also add I am not accusing the guy of anything. I was a 10 course cap with the tees they selected when I am generally a 7/8 so he already got some strokes. This league only takes league scores for handicaps. It was a larger money pool for this event but not the one you sandbag for. We have Calcuttas in team events that go over $25k so those are the ones you sandbag at....if that is what you do.

13 and shot a 76 with a triple at the last hole.

Very important piece to the puzzle. Before the triple on 18 he was pacing for a round that occurs every 100,000+ rounds statistically speaking. Was the triple at the last "convenient?"

-4 seems about right. You figure a bogey golfer is probably going to have 4 or 5 gross pars and maybe one or two bad holes

A story. Played in a member guest and after was sitting at table with my 4some and another 4some. The one guy from other was bitching and moaning about his play. I had played well and my partner also and we hammed and egged well. We finished 2nd with a net 62 or 10 under. They announce 1st and the complainer stands up and goes get the prize. He sits and he had said he shot 83.....but he was a 27 handicap. His partner improved him by 1 so they shot 55 and won by 7 shots. I tell the guy all you did was complain and yet you shot net 56. I'd have to shoot the course record to shoot a net 56.........His last comment was funny, lot's of people are asking me to be their partner.

A story. Played in a member guest and after was sitting at table with my 4some and another 4some. The one guy from other was bitching and moaning about his play. I had played well and my partner also and we hammed and egged well. We finished 2nd with a net 62 or 10 under. They announce 1st and the complainer stands up and goes get the prize. He sits and he had said he shot 83.....but he was a 27 handicap. His partner improved him by 1 so they shot 55 and won by 7 shots. I tell the guy all you did was complain and yet you shot net 56. I'd have to shoot the course record to shoot a net 56.........His last comment was funny, lot's of people are asking me to be their partner.
A legit 27 cap doesn't complain about an 83 ever, since it's the best round they've ever shot.

Just an observation.

A legit 27 cap doesn't complain about an 83 ever, since it's the best round they've ever shot.

Just an observation.
Ran into the guy a year later. He was a 9 then. And I berated him for being a 27 a year earlier. His response was he had just taken up the game and he had only posted a few scores. :unsure:

I suspect some sandbaggging at -8. I'd say -4 maybe -5 but even thats pushing it

I sandwiched this gem in between a 94 and an 89 :oops:
1656339567226.jpeg

In that situation with pure stroke play, I'd say absolutely no better than -4 or -5 at most.

The other thing I could see influence that number is slope rating. Say my normal course is a 137 slope rating and I play somewhere with a slope of 105 I would expect to shoot better than my handicap

but that's where course handicap comes into play. If you're a 10 based off of a course with 137 slope and say a rating of 71.6 (just because a course here has that exact slope and the rating associated is 71.6), then your Course index for that course would be a 12. Now that same 10 playing a course with a slope 104 and rating of 62.6 (another course in my area), your course index would be a 1.

so on one course you'd have to shoot 80 (expected to happen about 20-25% of your rounds) to be net -4 where as on that easier course, you'd have to shoot a 68 (easier course is a par 71), again which if accurate HI, would happen once out of every 4-5 rounds.

At least I am pretty sure i have my example right haha :ROFLMAO:

-8 sounds about right to me. Such a score may be unlikely if you assume a golfer's handicap perfectly captures their skill level but it doesn't. Even without sandbagging you're going to have people whose handicaps are too high simply because they've run into a recent stretch of bad golf. Moreover, you'll have people whose handicaps are too high because the course they've established their handicap on doesn't fit their skill set. I've said this before but there are certain setups where I'd be a 5 HDCP and others where I'd be a 12.

All those probabilities you see of shooting certain net scores are totally meaningless imo.

I won with a Net -5. CH was 16, and I shot an 83 par 72.

Back