You are playing in a net tournament. What is the lowest score that you think should win?

When I was at 24 handicap I shot -9 and -7 before (granted, not in tournament play). For a 20+ handicapper I can see that happening.

When you start going past -6 is when it becomes an all life round, or you have the incorrect handicap going in.

Lou Stagner had a stat on twitter that the odds of 12 handicap of shooting -10 net were 84,000-1. EDIT: see chart above haha.

How many people are on a team?

I've been -6 gross on the 14th hole getting closed out by two 20+ handicaps who still managed to individually shoot nearly 100 on the day.

It's hard to overlook a ham and egg.

I've shot 86 as an 18. I also shot 105, same course, better conditions, same weekend.

4-5 is about the most that's reasonable. If more, and there's multiple lucky, long putts or chip ins I might believe it.

Net event 1 round 64 seems about right. I mean I am a 3.5 and occasionally pull a gross 69 out of my ass

My answer would of been vastly different then from last week, however I had a PB by 4 strokes over the weekend and had a net -11. So it is realistic and I'm definitely not a sandbagger.

How many people are on a team?

I've been -6 gross on the 14th hole getting closed out by two 20+ handicaps who still managed to individually shoot nearly 100 on the day.

It's hard to overlook a ham and egg.
I'm talking individual rounds only. Team events are fun because of the insanity of volatility. Just when you think you have things figured out you get popped to death. :ROFLMAO:

I have had a net -7 and net -6 this year.

the net -7 on Friday. I’ve been called a sandbagger and a vanity cap before.

once someone gets past -7 is when I really get upset, but I usually give people the benefit of the doubt the first time around. If you play with the same guys at the club you can tell who the habitual offenders are

It was best ball, but @MWard and I went net -16 over two days.

We got third.

In our flight.

Somewhere in the -4 to -6 range seems (to me) fairly legit. Going from experience.

That is about reflects my best results in a net tournament. Doesn’t happen often but once in a great while I’ll play well enough to be put up an unusually good score.

if I were doing this regularly, in tournaments, I’d understand getting the hairy eyeball from people.

On a pretty damn good day I can get to a -5 and I think that's the consensus cutoff.. maybe -6 to be generous for a reaaaly good round

When you realize golfers should beat their handicap less than 20% of the time the shear number of people beating their handicap in tournaments obviously points to a problem.

Playing in a tournament today so will be interesting to see what net score wins with. I will be playing with a 11.3 handicap

I'd definitely agree with the majority here. 4 or 5, maybe 6 if it's a higher handicap that just catches fire for a day which is perfectly doable. Anything above that and eyebrows would get raised a little bit for sure.

Based on my own experience, I would say somewhere around the 6-7 shots under handicap is someone who has had a really good round. Any better and I would be curious as to their handicap and recent scores

I think my personal best was 5 under my handicap, but I have seen a lot lower scores, especially in the last year with the introduction of the new handicap system here in the UK - we had a club competition won with someone who shot 11 under their handicap (a higher handicap who has been having a lot of lessons)

However, I did hear of a result from a competition at another club where the winner was 15 shots better than their handicap

Playing in a tournament today so will be interesting to see what net score wins with. I will be playing with a 11.3 handicap
That handicap seems low to me….jk😀

I have not been able to play Tennis in years due to back problems, but am curious what others think🤔

I had a career day and ended up with a net -10 compared to my handicap of 17. I shot a 78... usually my downfall is a few blowup holes with a triple or quad thrown in for a poor drive or an approach in the water and can't scramble for anything.

When I shot the 78, I did lose 3 golf balls, but scrambled to bogies, then backed out up with some birdies, and played smart through the entire round to avoid the blow up and penalties. I know my game is better than a 17 from all the practice I've had, but I hadn't broken 90 before that round this year. My best 9-hole round was only 43, so the 78 was a little out of the blue

Individual net handicaps tournaments are almost always won by higher handicap players which is one of the reasons I’ve never played in a net individual event. A golfer with a legit 30 index will shoot -7 net about 1 in 100 rounds, so maybe once a year. A low index golfer will go that low only once in 2,300 rounds so about once every 23 years if playing 100 rounds/year. With over 4,500 rounds played, the last time I had a -7 net round was likely when I was 13 or 14 years old and rapidly improving. :)

I enjoy playing in matches with handicaps - mostly fourball matches with buddies but it works well because everyone’s index is legit. I’m guessing most net tournaments will always have that small faction of golfers that have the need to sandbag.

I 100% agree with you. 4 or 5 under net can certainly happen especially for mid to high handicappers. More than that raises an eyebrow.

That said I once played a junior competition with a friend who was a completely legitimate 8 handicap and shot 1 under gross, so a -9 net. Seriously seriously rare for someone to do something that though.

Flukes happen, but when a 10 handicap shots 68......
I played with the 10 handicapper in a tournament on Saturday and he shot 74, he played in a match play match on Sunday and shot 68, these are not net scores......gross

hard for me to say here...as a decent, sub-average player but higher cap because i can't play consistent enough, i don't really care what the net winner scores but i have heard grumblings when i have played with others...which eventually dies down once the wheels start coming off my game :LOL:...i did win one at -5 a few months back and another at -1 before that. haven't really come close to it since :confused:. haven't played with any sandbaggers during my short tourney experience...maybe that's to come. or maybe i AM a sandbagger?

-5 is my cut off if a higher cap has a career day.
I don't disagree - however. I have shot 14 under my cap once this year. Everything was on, I was unstoppable and I would have won anything with that round. That's happened once, so a career day to your point. Last week until a blow up I was -2 (net) over 7? holes and though I was on fire. One really bad hole took that all away.

To answer the question:

I'm also in the -3 to -5 group. I think that it's possible to go lower and more likely to go higher depending on the amount of people playing.

I played with the 10 handicapper in a tournament on Saturday and he shot 74, he played in a match play match on Sunday and shot 68, these are not net scores......gross
No, you played with someone who said he was a 10 handicap

Back