You have to hit a fairway! What shot shape are you trying to hit?

What shot shape?

• Straight

Votes: 48 43.6%
  • Draw/Hook

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Fade/Slice

Votes: 48 43.6%

• Total voters

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It the last hole of your club tournament and you stand on the tee up by 1 shot for your flight. You hit the fairway and the tournament is yours, what shot shape are you hitting?

Would go with my good ole fade/slice shot that I cannot seem to get rid of.

Newfound fade(slice) for me! Hopefully I can change my answer in the near future.

Going with my dependable draw.

I'd opt for a little fade, for to be sure to hit a fairway I'm hitting my 4w instead of my driver

Hitting my nom shot shape of a draw. But, I am trying to hit it lower..

right side of tee box, low tee driver and aim up the left. Going to come back to the right and hit fairway. Not long or impressive but works like clockwork.

I'd go with straight, although no golf shot is truly straight.

Mine usually start out some what straight, then tail off one way or another towards the end of the ball flight.

I'm counting on/aiming for my default draw, and praying I don't double cross myself.

I envy the guys that chose “straight.”

My head would explode if I didnt choose a shape.

I envy the guys that chose “straight.”

My head would explode if I didnt choose a shape.

straight shots are an accident. Pick your normal shape, choke down and commit..

I'd just aim up the middle and swing as hard as I can. If I'm that high up the leaderboard it means I'm hitting it well that day.

Whatever's been working that day.

What lies before me? Is the fairway straight ahead, on a diagonal left or right? Is there a dogleg? If so, how far out, what is the angle of the dogleg, and at the knee of the dogleg where the green? Straight ahead, right, or left? What is the pitch of the fairway, especially 250 yards plus from the tee? What type of hazards are left and right and how wide is the fairway in the landing zone? Are there any carries required? What type and how far out? Wind? From what direction and how hard?

So much more information needed before you can make an informed decision on shot shape for such a critical shot.

Last edited:
Depends on the club I’m hitting. Generally trying to hit a straight ball, driver is a bit more fade, whereas fairways are a little more draw.

What ever ball shape, my swing has been producing, through out the day. Can’t change it and go with it , don’t over do it , if l tee off first on the last , a meat and 3 veg down the middle , thanks for coming, best of luck next time **** will do , make them over reach over commit , l hold the lead ... they need two shot swing to win , ain’t happening ...

I'm going with a slight cut, using the 3w and just trying to set up the second shot.

At my home course, I would be hitting my 2i aiming up the left side and fading it back towards the centre of the fairway

Back