You know you are at a nice course when...

When you are playing in front of Archie Griffin.

You guys sure play some fancy courses. The place I usually play says "you can move the sprinklers off the green when you putt," and I'm like "awesome, they actually watered this week."

...when the 1st tee box is flat.

When the range is equipped like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418152089.915130.jpg

I'm with you. If it costs more than $25 for me to play I feel like I'm wasting money. If I ever improve I'll be more willing to spend some dough on nicer courses, but for now it just seems like putting premium in a Pinto.

Annhl8rX I think if I ever break 100 I'll go play a course that's a bit more expensive but until then, I can't justify the cost to myself.

We pulled up, left everything in car - walked in the most insane clubhouse imaginable (NO Cell phones!) A big mahogany locker had my name on it, my shoes were already there? Walked past the club champs locker (like 8 times) it was Phil M's, driving range - stacks of new pro V's - range finders, sticks, a guy who cleaned every club even if I just touched it once, sand traps in the range, (why I asked? looks more real), no starter, water and food all over, 6 tee boxes on each hole, a metal engraved badge hooked on my bag, no other golfers really, insane hamburger after round, OH MY - been there twice. My buddy who lives there is so busy getting rich he rarely plays and he has a fairway in his back yard.:banghead:

My "for me" club is pretty accommodating to its members and guests. Some of the things I enjoy:

- valet for all
- car waiting after round (lunch/dinner/drinks) loaded and washed
- fully stocked comfort stations, take what you please
- Pro meets the guest at the valet and does the full tour of the club, locker room, introduces them to attendants, etc
- Titleist's on the range and short game area
- Full range + small range by the first tee if you only have time to hit a few balls
- All the usual amenities, scented towels, apples in the ice barrel, etc, etc, etc

So with a 4 HC, what do you normally shoot there? 90?

My brother is a member, but I've played both courses at least 15 times. 76 on the Lower Course has been my best, but I'd be a 7 or 8 there for sure. It's just too hard to avoid disaster there and the greens are FAST and undulating.

The fairways are actually pretty generous. It's the green complexes that provide the most challenge.

Surprised it's at $130k, I really thought it would be at least double that figure.

And I think the dues are still holding at $1K/month, due in a lump sum at the beginning of the year.

I know I'm at a fancy place when I'm referred to as "Sir" as opposed to "Buddy".

For that quality course that is a steal.

If I was still living in AZ and had the cash, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

The practice areas are awesome and you'll generally see tour players there practicing. Both courses are top notch and everyone - staff, caddies, members - are just really cool guys. The last time I was there, Bob Parsons (GoDaddy.com) made a hole-in-one and bought everyone a drink. Then he starts pondering "hmm, I wonder how much it would be to eat everyone's liquor bills for the month of April?"

I guess when you're worth 1.3-Billion, you can ponder about such things... lol

But the best part is that no matter how famous, rich or accomplished, they are all just guys who love the game of Golf.

If I was still living in AZ and had the cash, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

The practice areas are awesome and you'll generally see tour players there practicing. Both courses are top notch and everyone - staff, caddies, members - are just really cool guys. The last time I was there, Bob Parsons (GoDaddy.com) made a hole-in-one and bought everyone a drink. Then he starts pondering "hmm, I wonder how much it would be to eat everyone's liquor bills for the month of April?"

I guess when you're worth 1.3-Billion, you can ponder about such things... lol

But the best part is that no matter how famous, rich or accomplished, they are all just guys who love the game of Golf.

$1.3B can cover alot of bar tabs

$1.3B can cover alot of bar tabs

If I had it, I'd sure find out!

By contrast, I belong to The Golf Preserve at Atascocita in Humble, TX. I payed $300 before they opened for the deal of a lifetime: $175/month with free carts and range balls for life!

My brother is a member, but I've played both courses at least 15 times. 76 on the Lower Course has been my best, but I'd be a 7 or 8 there for sure. It's just too hard to avoid disaster there and the greens are FAST and undulating.

The fairways are actually pretty generous. It's the green complexes that provide the most challenge.

The golf.com article made it sound like it was the golf version of hell. At least for that Battle of Attrition competition it was discussing.

If I had it, I'd sure find out!

By contrast, I belong to The Golf Preserve at Atascocita in Humble, TX. I payed $300 before they opened for the deal of a lifetime: $175/month with free carts and range balls for life!

That's the kind of deal I can get behind!

The golf.com article made it sound like it was the golf version of hell. At least for that Battle of Attrition competition it was discussing.

It is! They play the back tees, tuck the pins, and get the greens rolling at 14 on the stimp. I think Tim Herron won it the first year with an 81! They say when Kevin Streelman won it (I don't know what he shot - he might have been under par), that it was one of the greatest rounds ever played.

They chauffeur you out to the range because it is too long of a walk. I had that happen once, and the range was maybe 250 yards away from the clubhouse?

It is! They play the back tees, tuck the pins, and get the greens rolling at 14 on the stimp. I think Tim Herron won it the first year with an 81! They say when Kevin Streelman won it (I don't know what he shot - he might have been under par), that it was one of the greatest rounds ever played.

I bet the clubhouse bar does well that day...

Back