You Still Have To Play The Game

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Say you've got a round of golf coming up later in the day or the next day. Somewhere along the way something sets you off like an argument with the wife or something else just doesn't go right, or you're just out of balance and you head to the golf course thinking why am I even bothering I'm not going to play well today so why try. Or the exact opposite you're heading to the course and everything is terrific and you're thinking to yourself I'm going to kill it today. What I'm getting at here is when you head to the course out of kilter and you end up having a great round of golf when expectations were very low. And on the other vain expectations are high and you have a terrible round of golf. Have you ever had this happen to you?

I remember a buddy of mine and I were heading out to play on a day were it was raining not heavy just a very light drizzle and I wasn't in the best of moods (don't remember why) and heading to the course I'm thinking why am I am going today. Turns out I end up shooting a 83 that day and had a great time. That's kinda why you gotta play the game because you just don't know.

Last edited:
We got to the course the other afternoon and I was jacked to play. I typically play in the am, but this was afternoon and we had time to warm up which isn't my normal early am routine. Got to the range and really never hit the ball well. Went to the course and ended up playing longer tees (by 800 yards) and shot the same I had been shooting from the shorter tees. I think the fact we played with players who were better than ourselves helped, but I was pretty concerned when leaving the range. I too didn't know what I didn't know, but ended up having a great round. She's a fickle girl that golf thing...

We got to the course the other afternoon and I was jacked to play. I typically play in the am, but this was afternoon and we had time to warm up which isn't my normal early am routine. Got to the range and really never hit the ball well. Went to the course and ended up playing longer tees (by 800 yards) and shot the same I had been shooting from the shorter tees. I think the fact we played with players who were better than ourselves helped, but I was pretty concerned when leaving the range. I too didn't know what I didn't know, but ended up having a great round. She's a fickle girl that golf thing...

Sometimes very fickle.........:LOL:

When I am on the course I am thinking about my course strategy and enjoying my day. Nothing else really matters, but being in the moment of the game.

On days when I start out in a bad frame of mind, whether angry, distracted or just a general lack of focus and concentration, it is much more difficult for me to find a good mentality on the course than when I start out in a good frame of mind. When my expectations start out on a good score, it rarely turns out well. When my expectations are to hit the best shots I can, I tend to have much better results.

Absolutely. Played a round last year when it was cold and rainy; I hesitated and thought about cancelling my tee time but decided to give it a go regardless. I ended up having the course basically to myself and shot my lowest score to date. Just everything was going well... I chalked it up to low stress and low expectations put on myself before the round started.

Definitely. I have had days where I felt me and the golf gods were on the same wave length and I was going to have a great round and somehow shoot a bad score. Then other days I show up sick and barely able to swing and go lower than normal on the card.

Back