You want to increase your GIR %, so you...

I would try to aim for the largest part of the green and then worry about the putting afterwards
As I gain more confidence in my lag putts, this becomes a more and more viable option to 2 putt for par. I'm not as worried about a long putt, and as a result I can avoid the hazards by not pin hunting when they are protected, and instead get it on the green and trust my putter.

For me, once I said to myself, ok you hit you 8i 145 instead of 155, my iron striking was so much better. Found the sweet spot more often, and thus found the green more often. If I have a choice, I'm always taking more club, as opposed to the alternative of overswinging using a club I know goes shorter.
I've said it for a while, but the pride keeps getting in the way. P-Ave with 8-iron is 160, but fact is I'm missing short on approach way too much. Like you said, just have to get over myself and start clubbing up :ROFLMAO:

CLUB UP!!!!

My miss to the green is more likely to come up short than to go long.

Checking your stats really helps show how you can increase your GIR.

I identified this last year as one of my biggest issues. It was better than years before but not where I wanted it.

I did 2 things:

1) I looked at my equipment to see what could be changed to help solve some of my misses. Ended up switching shafts and heads and grip sizes. Lighter 110g graphite Recoil Proto's from heavier 125g steel. T200 heads to Apex Pros. Std grips ( +4 ) to midsize (+4)

2) I changed the way I approach my swing on par 3's and approach shots. Changed the mentality to aim small miss small and focus on playing a shaped shot versus just trying to hit a straight ball. Worked on my swing path and hand position to keep the face square as much as possible.

So far, it's working pretty well. I went from averaging over 4 strokes on par 3s all of last year ( 4.1 on par 3's, 4.3 on par 5's....not great ) to in the last 2 rounds scoring birdies on half of them and only above par on one of them, as an example. Approach from the fairways are a bit different as they are lie dependent and are impacted by the previous shot, but when I have a clear view to the green, I take the same approach as a par 3. Decide fade or draw, aim for that shot shape, and hit it to play that shape to the center of the grean. If it goes straight, its on. If I over shape it a bit, its on. Aim small, miss small.
I wrestle with the aim small miss small, and just going for the center of the green theory. I've found I'm much better when i try to pick a point on the green to land it, as opposed to just throwing it up there towards the green. But, that's why my irons are doing what I want them to do. Sometimes my aim small miss small is so large that it is the entire green :ROFLMAO:. But I do think that is a good point. Pick a spot, pick a shot, and trust your judgement.

Also good points on the par 3 vs fairway mentality. I can approach each par 3 just about the same, because the ball is on a tee. But from the fairway or rough, so many variables to consider. Almost 2 separate approaches.

Give myself a better percentage to hit to an area that I can reach a green from. Too often my missed GIR's are a result from a tee shot being out of position.
This is a good point. It's hard to hit a green when you're punching out from trees. Trust me, that's been me more often than I care to admit.

More practice with my irons & hybids/fw on the range to get better strikes/consistent contact. On course i almost always aim for the 'fat' of the green, so my low GIR% is not because i'm flag hunting, i just often make poor contact and miss-hit approach shots.
Once you start hitting consistent shots, it definitely makes it easier to say, I hit my 8i 150 most of the time. Instead of saying I hit my 8i 150 50% of the time.

Two options.

1) Move up a set of tees
2) Hit better shots
I don't think my issue is tee boxes. I'm actually hitting more greens from 150 out, than I am from 100-150. Part of my issue is just learning and trusting my wedge distances. That 100-125 gap where it's not always a full swing is my kryptonite!

I've said it for a while, but the pride keeps getting in the way. P-Ave with 8-iron is 160, but fact is I'm missing short on approach way too much. Like you said, just have to get over myself and start clubbing up :ROFLMAO:

Anybody approach par 3's different than hitting from the fairway, minus the tee of course. Do you think you get added distance from the pure strike off a tee vs the lie on a fairway? I realize that each fairway lie is different, but assume it's the best fairway lie you can get.

As I gain more confidence in my lag putts, this becomes a more and more viable option to 2 putt for par. I'm not as worried about a long putt, and as a result I can avoid the hazards by not pin hunting when they are protected, and instead get it on the green and trust my putter.
I am the same, I woud rather be on the green putting than be short-sided in a horrible lie or bunker with the potential for a big score

There are a few holes at my home course that have some real sucker pins tucked just beyond steep slopes or water that can really damage your score if you try to get too cute and chase the pin - the par 3 7th hole and par 5 15th hole are the best examples of this with a slope on the 7th green that will bring your ball back a good 40ft off the front, and the 15th pin can be within 4-5yds of the water, so I always forget about those pins and shoot for the centre of the green

I am the same, I woud rather be on the green putting than be short-sided in a horrible lie or bunker with the potential for a big score

There are a few holes at my home course that have some real sucker pins tucked just beyond steep slopes or water that can really damage your score if you try to get too cute and chase the pin - the par 3 7th hole and par 5 15th hole are the best examples of this with a slope on the 7th green that will bring your ball back a good 40ft off the front, and the 15th pin can be within 4-5yds of the water, so I always forget about those pins and shoot for the centre of the green
My short game is pretty good, so I don't mind missing from time to time if my potential lie is:

- Flat or uphill
- Not in sand
- Not downhill
- Not short sided (although working through this)
- Not in the water :p

So the choice to go for it, or where is best to miss has become my thought process. But, as I progress my game I want to avoid the big score, while still giving myself an opportunity for birdie. At the moment I avoid the big score by playing it safe, to the detriment of birdies. Need to sharpen my irons before going for more birdies can become a regular strategy though.

Yes.

Change approach, clubs, God(s), whatever it takes!!

Couple years ago my numbers were a little out of whack and after looking them over with a frriend, we realized I needed to be more aggressive off the tee, and less aggressive on approach. So I went crazy with my lines off the tee, and on approach pin hunted less, clubbed up more, etc etc. AND got new clubs of course. And it worked. Evolved into playing aggressively on approach again, but mostly to spots other than the pin. Now I have kind of the opposite problem. If I notice I'm hitting a ton of greens I have to think about if I'm being aggressive enough going after pins or leaving opportunities out there.

Anybody approach par 3's different than hitting from the fairway, minus the tee of course. Do you think you get added distance from the pure strike off a tee vs the lie on a fairway? I realize that each fairway lie is different, but assume it's the best fairway lie you can get.

For me, tee balls are more about spin control than distance. I can't say I hit a tee ball significantly farther than a center of fairway ball as I tee it pretty low on the tee box. Hitting off the tee just eliminates any lie problems inherent with a "where did it stop rolling" ball. :)

Yes.

Change approach, clubs, God(s), whatever it takes!!

Couple years ago my numbers were a little out of whack and after looking them over with a frriend, we realized I needed to be more aggressive off the tee, and less aggressive on approach. So I went crazy with my lines off the tee, and on approach pin hunted less, clubbed up more, etc etc. AND got new clubs of course. And it worked. Evolved into playing aggressively on approach again, but mostly to spots other than the pin. Now I have kind of the opposite problem. If I notice I'm hitting a ton of greens I have to think about if I'm being aggressive enough going after pins or leaving opportunities out there.
It's that balance isn't it. Putting yourself in a good position, vs putting yourself in the best position. It's a fine line, but you must have a good iron game that is consistent to really be aggressive, at least from my perspective. And as my greenside short game continues to improve, I feel more confident if I miss, that I can still get up and down. Trying to use my strengths to influence and help the other parts of my game is a positive direction.

For me, tee balls are more about spin control than distance. I can't say I hit a tee ball significantly farther than a center of fairway ball as I tee it pretty low on the tee box. Hitting off the tee just eliminates any lie problems inherent with a "where did it stop rolling" ball. :)
I have the same thought, still go for the same distance as I tee it up pretty low also. Just curious if I was missing something.

Move up to the next tee box.
I've thought about this, but I don't play the tips and I don't want to hit wedge into the greens each time. I drive it 250 on average, so distance I don't think is my problem. I guess I should have said that increasing my GIR % isn't the end goal, it's a result of better iron play. I want better iron play to be my end goal, because to my hitting a pure iron that lands on a green is close to perfection for me during a round. Just love it!

I have the same thought, still go for the same distance as I tee it up pretty low also. Just curious if I was missing something.

The only other benefit is that I can leverage the tee box to gain some angle on which shot shape I want to hit. HIt a fade? Start on the right. Hit a draw? Start on the left. Similar to what I do with driver off the tee.

It's that balance isn't it. Putting yourself in a good position, vs putting yourself in the best position. It's a fine line, but you must have a good iron game that is consistent to really be aggressive, at least from my perspective. And as my greenside short game continues to improve, I feel more confident if I miss, that I can still get up and down. Trying to use my strengths to influence and help the other parts of my game is a positive direction.
It really is. Knowing your own game, strengths and weaknesses, is pretty essential to riding that line. And that's why I have to watch the GIR here. My greenside wedge game is excellent. If I hit almost every green, but notice a few pretty long first putts in there from decent approach range, I might not have been aggressive enough. I'll take my chances of holing out from 20' greenside on a just missed GIR over a putt from 40' on a GIR just about every time on the greens around here. Strokes are tough to find. They're smart, hide wherever they can. Gotta be smarter!

And use new and better clubs whenver possible.. :p

was 32% last time I tracked it with any consistency before. haven't tracked since
I struggle most with my PW and 9i, as far as consistent strikes go. My 7i or 8i are where I feel most confident and execute the most from. OL has always intrigued me, because I think I would benefit from the longer 9i and PW, without sacrificing too much. Some days I wish I could change my KFT's to OL KFT's, because it would be fun and I think it would help my iron play.

The best way to improve GIR% is to play a course with bigger softer greens!:cool:

It really is. Knowing your own game, strengths and weaknesses, is pretty essential to riding that line. And that's why I have to watch the GIR here. My greenside wedge game is excellent. If I hit almost every green, but notice a few pretty long first putts in there from decent approach range, I might not have been aggressive enough. I'll take my chances of holing out from 20' greenside on a just missed GIR over a putt from 40' on a GIR just about every time on the greens around here.
And for me, it's knowing where I'm at that day. If my iron game is on, let's get aggressive if the shot calls for it. If it's just not working that day, I'm more apt to take the safe approach.

Back