You want to increase your GIR %, so you...

Hit more fairways. I am 21% more likely to hit the green after a FIR than not.

The best way to improve GIR% is to play a course with bigger softer greens!:cool:
That is true. But how does that help when my ball is landing in the rough :p

All joking aside, I love playing a course where I can hit an iron and the ball hops once, then checks up. Versus, hops once, twice, maybe 10 times and rolls away. Definitely helps the confidence too, instead of always keeping you guessing.

Play from shorter tees

This is a good point. It's hard to hit a green when you're punching out from trees. Trust me, that's been me more often than I care to admit.
This. This exactly. When I travel around to play with friends, some courses have a single row of trees between holes. Those that hit it straight or miss in a big way are ok, but if I miss slightly left or right, it is almost always an extra shot. It can be frustrating!

I don't think my issue is tee boxes. I'm actually hitting more greens from 150 out, than I am from 100-150. Part of my issue is just learning and trusting my wedge distances. That 100-125 gap where it's not always a full swing is my kryptonite!
If you hit the green a higher portion of the time from 150 yards than 100 yards, then you definitely need option two. Hit better shots.

I once gathered some stats that showed my average strokes to finish the hole were nearly a half-stroke worse from 75-100 yards than from 100-125 yards. There was no possible way that could be true other than something seriously screwed up in my wedge swing. Went for a couple wedge lessons, changed my setup and entire approach to wedge shot, within a few weeks I was much, much better from 75-100 yards.

Anybody approach par 3's different than hitting from the fairway, minus the tee of course. Do you think you get added distance from the pure strike off a tee vs the lie on a fairway? I realize that each fairway lie is different, but assume it's the best fairway lie you can get.
The couple guys I know with reverse pivot swings and flipping issues definitely the ball higher, farther and straighter by teeing it up a half-inch off the ground on Par 3's.

But kind of like my earlier replies, if you hit irons a lot better off a tee than from a perfect, clean, level fairway lie then you have some sort of swing issues.

A lot of times if the distance is questionable, I will club up and make sure I take a nice smooth swing.

If you hit the green a higher portion of the time from 150 yards than 100 yards, then you definitely need option two. Hit better shots.

I once gathered some stats that showed my average strokes to finish the hole were nearly a half-stroke worse from 75-100 yards than from 100-125 yards. There was no possible way that could be true other than something seriously screwed up in my wedge swing. Went for a couple wedge lessons, changed my setup and entire approach to wedge shot, within a few weeks I was much, much better from 75-100 yards.
Been starting down the path to better understanding my wedge distances on full, 3/4 and 1/2 swings. Those in between distances, and gaining comfort in them, is definitely the cause for my need to hit better shots. I do think my wedge swing is off, mainly based on this unsure swing thought that occurs with a wedge in hand. I miss short a lot due to chunks, because I decelerate because I'm unsure in the shot I'm about to hit.

If I wanted to hit more GIRs, (which I do), I would have to be much longer off the tee, or with my approach. simple math. To do that, I'll need lessons, and exercise. (Which I despise more than not getting GIRs.)

GIRs are overrated, short game and scrambling is where it's at.

But, if I was going for more GIR, I would probably dial in my distances a little better with the mid-irons (6-9). While I'm pretty solid with them, the distances can be erratic at times.

~Rock

If I wanted to hit more GIRs, (which I do), I would have to be much longer off the tee, or with my approach. simple math. To do that, I'll need lessons, and exercise. (Which I despise more than not getting GIRs.)
Hey understandable. Give and take here

Hey understandable. Give and take here
I was on a magical run of success with my driver over the last couple months (which, now, has left me), and it was giving me at least possible shots into the green. Since I'm a woefully short hitter, I don't have the length with any club from the fairway to overcome the short tee poke.

But, if I was going for more GIR, I would probably dial in my distances a little better with the mid-irons (6-9). While I'm pretty solid with them, the distances can be erratic at times.

~Rock
I've been getting better with short game and scrambling, to the point where I have confidence, more so than any other point in my golfing career.

But, I feel like I should have more chances at birdie putts than I do. I wonder how much erratic distances are due to my bad strikes? 25%, 50%? Might be worth tracking how many times my shots go intended distances, within +/- so many yards.

I was on a magical run of success with my driver over the last couple months (which, now, has left me), and it was giving me at least possible shots into the green. Since I'm a woefully short hitter, I don't have the length with any club from the fairway to overcome the short tee poke.
Here's to you finding that driver length again!

Been starting down the path to better understanding my wedge distances on full, 3/4 and 1/2 swings. Those in between distances, and gaining comfort in them, is definitely the cause for my need to hit better shots. I do think my wedge swing is off, mainly based on this unsure swing thought that occurs with a wedge in hand. I miss short a lot due to chunks, because I decelerate because I'm unsure in the shot I'm about to hit.
Developing and maintaining a reliable partial shot system with your short irons and wedges sounds like top priority for you. Made a massive difference for me. Knowing my ball should carry a certain distance (and having several ways to get it based off the shot in) inspires a lot of confidence and lessens mishits. Rather than 3/4, 1/2 I built mine off 5 yard lasered carry increments instead. I'm not always that precise but I find that having a specific target like that allows me to swing positively and eliminates those dreaded decell mishits.

~Rock
And that's where I try to make up the ground. My scrambling is alright, with moments of pure decent.

Developing and maintaining a reliable partial shot system with your short irons and wedges sounds like top priority for you. Made a massive difference for me. Knowing my ball should carry a certain distance (and having several ways to get it based off the shot in) inspires a lot of confidence and lessens mishits. Rather than 3/4, 1/2 I built mine off 5 yard lasered carry increments instead. I'm not always that precise but I find that having a specific target like that allows me to swing positively and eliminates those dreaded decell mishits.
Yep, I definitely need to get comfortable with the wedges. Without a doubt. The lack of confidence is certainly an issue for me right now, and I'm sure for lots of us golfers out there. These shots have a feel element to them, and that only comes to me with lots of practice.

I've been getting better with short game and scrambling, to the point where I have confidence, more so than any other point in my golfing career.

But, I feel like I should have more chances at birdie putts than I do. I wonder how much erratic distances are due to my bad strikes? 25%, 50%? Might be worth tracking how many times my shots go intended distances, within +/- so many yards.
And that's where I try to make up the ground. My scrambling is alright, with moments of pure decent.

Two benefits for me to focus on scrambling as opposed to GIR. First, partial wedge shots seem to bleed out to improve my full wedge shots, and even full short irons.

Second, if I have confidence in my scrambling, I tend to swing a little more 'free' on the approach shot, which improves my accuracy. The short game is the cradle of your confidence.

~Rock

Two benefits for me to focus on scrambling as opposed to GIR. First, partial wedge shots seem to bleed out to improve my full wedge shots, and even full short irons.

Second, if I have confidence in my scrambling, I tend to swing a little more 'free' on the approach shot, which improves my accuracy. The short game is the cradle of your confidence.

~Rock
I agree with you. I've been working hard to improve my scrambling, as well as lag putts, so that I can still gets pars when I'm off just a bit.

When I was a total beginner, my teaching pro told me to play my irons a little back in my stance and make an almost full swing. Just concentrate on making clean contact.

Of course over the years I eventually got comfortable with a normal setup and swing with the irons (although I'll still fall back on that beginner swing when things really turn to shite in the middle of a round).

My wedge lesson breakthrough was when he basically told me to go back to the same type of things with wedges. Take my "100 yard" gap wedge, move it back in my stance a bit and try to hit it 90 yards making perfect contact. That's my everyday wedge swing now. Funny thing is, I catch it so cleanly most of the time it goes 92-95 yards which is darned near as far as I could hit it "full"!

~Rock

This is pure poetry. One of those pithy remarks that should go down in history as one of the truest maxims in golf.

Excellently stated.

This is pure poetry. One of those pithy remarks that should go down in history as one of the truest maxims in golf.

Excellently stated.
Lucky for you I'm starting an Approach Shot Handbook, with inspirational quotes from this thread. So I'll mark you down for one Pre-order copy (y)

First, partial wedge shots seem to bleed out to improve my full wedge shots, and even full short irons.

This is definitely "a thing". If I can hit partial 1/2 to 3/4 wedge shots cleanly and crisply and the right distance, hitting full-swing wedge and short irons becomes child's play. At one lesson my teaching pro had me practicing 40-yard PW shots for half an hour then we switched to full 7-irons and I was just nailing them.

I asked him, "Did you just play some kind of mind game with me there?". He just shrugged and said, "Whatever works".

Excellently stated.

I can't take credit for it. Dr. Bob Rotella wrote it, but that one short sentence says a lot about golf.

~Rock

Back