Ca3L

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a few different setups that they use with their 14 clubs, depending on the course?

I've been pondering using 2 different basic setups -

a short course:
Driver, 3 wood, 2 hybrid, 3 hybrid, 4-pw, 54*, 60*, putter

and a long course:
Driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4-pw, 52*, 56*, 60*, putter

I'm just wondering if anyone else does this, or what your thoughts are on it?

As much as I understand the thought behind having two set ups, I stick with one set. No matter the course's length, I feel like I make up strokes inside of 100 yards. Because of this I keep gaps tight in my wedges and short irons. I like having flexibilty with my wedges, not my 200 yard + clubs.

Firstly, some don't play 14 clubs. I have 12 right now.

I use the same setup every time at the moment.

Everytime I play the same 14 clubs, Driver, 3 wood, 3 and 4 hybrid, 5-pw, aw, sw, lw, putter. This set up will not be changing any time soon.

I have never really changed my clubs up depending on the course. I have always been the risk/reward type of player. On a short course, I will typically bomb driver towards the green. Over the years I have developed the 50 yard punch shot from the trees and am now quite comfortable with it. The only club that I will change out in my bag is the putter, and that is just for a change. It is not determined by the speed of the greens or any other logical reason. Usually my 3 year old picks which putter I will use that day.

As much as I understand the thought behind having two set ups, I stick with one set. No matter the course's length, I feel like I make up strokes inside of 100 yards. Because of this I keep gaps tight in my wedges and short irons. I like having flexibilty with my wedges, not my 200 yard + clubs.

I'll +1 that. Well said. That's what's kept me from doing it to this point. I like having the ability to choose from 3 wedges. I don't know how I would feel about having only 2.

I play the same clubs, I just play my shots differently with those clubs. Some clubs I will use more depending on the course Obv. I love using my hybrid for bump and run shots on links course and in other situations I'll use my 8 iron. Really depends on the course and the lie. Same clubs, different shots. It forces the hand of creativity.

Only change I'll ever make is to swap out my 4I for the 7W every once in a while. Distance is about the same, I like to mix them up sometimes. When I'm hitting it well, the 4I is one of my favorite clubs. Problem is I don't always hit it well...

Back