Your 2012 mid-year Winners!

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright folks, September is approaching and golf seasons will be dwindling down for some. Most of the 2012 equipment is on shelves and I want to know what gets the gold medal from you! Drivers, fwy woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, and the flat stick, what takes home the gold medal in each category and why.

Gold - putter: Metal X DART (Only new piece of equipment for me this year).
Gold - ball: Hex Black Tour

Gold - putter: Metal X DART (Only new piece of equipment for me this year).
Gold - ball: Hex Black Tour

You didn't hit anything new this year?

You didn't hit anything new this year?

Nope. Bag is set so no need to swing anything. Actually, the next purchase will be a bag.

Driver: Razr Fit--Have never had a driver that was more accurate. It might not put it out there 17 more yards, but it will be in the fairway.

3W: TBD. I just don't know yet. I think it will be the F3 but I need to hit it

Hyrid: Razr XF hybrids--Again, I've never hit anything with more accuracy. Easiest to hit club that I've ever played. Yes that is all clubs

Irons: Well up until a month ago I would have said the i20's. Right now it is neck and neck between the i20's and the Razr XF's. i20's are the most forgiving players iron that I had ever had in the bag but then the XF's stepped in and blew me away.

Wedges: TBD---Starting to play some with the Scors and I like what I see so far. They have a tough time trying to unseat the Callaway Forged wedges though. Those wedges were so versatile and especially with chip shots. The heavy head is fantastic with delicate shots.

Putter: I have not tried a ton of putters this year. I loved the MetalX insert but have not played the Rossie model enough. The Protype 2ball is so soft and I drained quite a few big putts with it in the heat of battle. I think I would go Protype

Balls: Callaway Hex Black and Chrome--These are the balls that I pretty much exclusively played for the past 4 months or even more. The Hex Black has less spin for me but I seem to keep it in play. On my good days though, the Chrome is fantastic. Everything I could want in a ball plus it feels phenomenal off the putter.

Hmm seems like I like Callaway this year.

This is a great topic. I could be here all day writing about some great things that have come out this year. For now, I will stick to just one club. The Cleveland Mashie FW wood line. In my opinion it is the only game changer in FW Woods that has come out in a long time.

Better sole for more golfers as far as turf interaction leading to the ability to hit from more lies and make it easier to hit off the deck.
Smaller profile head gives confidence as if you are hitting a hybrid.
Premium aftermarket shaft as standard. The shaft alone costs almost as much as the entire club when purchased separately.

In a nutshell it is the most accurate fairway wood, from the most lies, without any sacrifice of distance I have ever hit in my life. In fact in my opinion, it may be the best club I have added to my bag in close to a decade and the biggest game changer in longer clubs since the hybrid was created.

This is a great topic. I could be here all day writing about some great things that have come out this year. For now, I will stick to just one club. The Cleveland Mashie FW wood line. In my opinion it is the only game changer in FW Woods that has come out in a long time.

Better sole for more golfers as far as turf interaction leading to the ability to hit from more lies and make it easier to hit off the deck.
Premium aftermarket shaft as standard. The shaft alone costs almost as much as the entire club when purchased separately.

In a nutshell it is the most accurate fairway wood, from the most lies, without any sacrifice of distance I have ever hit in my life. In fact in my opinion, it may be the best club I have added to my bag in close to a decade and the biggest game changer in longer clubs since the hybrid was created.

Please tell us how you really feel

Alright folks, September is approaching and golf seasons will be dwindling down for some. Most of the 2012 equipment is on shelves and I want to know what gets the gold medal from you! Drivers, fwy woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, and the flat stick, what takes home the gold medal in each category and why.

You just ruined my evening, TC. So sad.

I haven't tried a ton out, so I won't throw out ludicrous award that I have no business giving.

Irons: i20's
Wedges: ATV's
Ball: Hex Black

I liked the RBZ 3 wood, but not enough that I bought one...and I have no other bases for comparison, so the above is all I can comment on.

Driver: Cleveland Classic. Game changer.
3w: VRS 3w. Love its shallow profile and versatility on and off the tee
Wedges: J40's. My gosh, it's fun being aggressive with these. Love their weight.
Ball: Hex Black Tour. Phenomenal ball for me

Geesh, JB...I've been on the fence on trying a Mashie 3 wood to replace my old (and semi broken) Steelhead III 3 wood, based on all the recommendations I've received here, and that might be the icing on the cake. If I don't do it this year, I will for sure try it out early next year.

Ball-Hex Black Tour
Driver's- R11s and Razr Fit, love both of these heads!
FW- RBZ Tour
Wedges- ATV's

RAZR Fit Driver - even more so once I added the Fujikura shaft.

Callaway Hex Black Ball. Bye Bye Titleist.

And... The Bag Boy Quad push cart. It's like a baby stroller for your clubs. Love it.

I've tried a lot of new equipment this year because I really changed my bag.

Driver: Taylormade R11S- Longest driver I've hit and very accurate and forgiving. Feel really comfortable hitting it.
Fairway Wood: Taylormade RBZ- Long and straight, can't ask for more from a fairway wood.
Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ- Long and straight. Also very versatile as it does performs well from out of the rough.
Ball: Callaway Hex Black- Very good off performer off the driver, not much side spin. Checks up nicely on the greens.

Driver: G20 was great, very forgiving. The shaft became a little high launching for me. Next came the AMP. I hit a lot of drivers this year and this thing is for real. Feels great, shaft is a little lower launching than the G20 and ball seems to go forever. Also a great bargain right now. I hope to update that the Anser is the best driver I have ever hit here in a few weeks.

FW: I agree with JB on the Mashie F3 as being a super fairway wood, out of the fairway and the tee. Super game improvement off the deck. Off the tee the RBZ FW was good, but I started struggling with it off the deck.

Hybrids: I'm still liking the RBZ hybos. They may be the best club of the RBZ lineup. Easy to get up and go forever.

Irons: i20's give me a lot of forgiveness in a non clunky iron, I love that. I'm a higher handicapper but I have been able to hit these. Finally getting the range game to the course. Love the CFS shafts too.

Wedges: I started with scors and they really good. Sleek looking, great shafts, and cool bounce tech. I won some 588's but had some ups and downs. My overall winner right now are the ATV's. Super game improvement wedge. Hitting shots that I couldn't even imagine before. I love the whole club from the lamkin wedge grip through the KBS tour wedge shaft and that big soled head. Just amazing.

Putter: The Gnome is a great mallet and I can't even begin to describe how much I love the metal x insert.

Grips: Winn Dri Tacs. To soft for some but if you need to lighten your grip pressure or get some blisters going from time to time, this grip is the best. Soft and tacky. Treat your hands well with these things, best grip I have ever used.

Bags: Sun Mountain hybrid bag is a beast. Huge opening with 14 full length dividers. Stand for the range and whatnot. Huge pockets and seems rugged.

Great thread TC!

Driver - Cleveland Classic
Great looking driver that inspires confidence. Solid sound and better than average performance.

FW Wood - Don't have one

Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ Hybrid
This hybrid is easier to hit for me than most with better consistency. Great distance and I can actually fade this one when necessary. I'm not a fan of the white head as it shows wear, smudge marks too easy.

Irons -TaylorMade RBZ Irons
Forgiving, long,and they provide a solid feel when striking the ball. If you like a nice high ball flight these will suit ya fancy!

Wedge - TaylorMade ATV 56 degree
This wedge is so versatile it's not even funny. Multiple bounce built in provides a high tech, forgiving, and fun to hit wedge. It almost swings itself!

Putter - Odessey Metal X #7
I LOVE the feel of the ball off this putter face. I put one of these in my bag three weeks ago and my putting is getting better each time out. Easy alignment aid and good for those that have a wobbly or jerky move going back. It almost cures the yips :eek:)...

So far, I gotta say: look at my WITB. Other than I think it is awesome equipment, it's also the only stuff I tried this year.

Maybe I should revisit this after the Tour Van stops.

Maybe I should revisit this after the Tour Van stops.

This is what I need to do as well. This thread makes me realize how few clubs I have hit this year. Standouts for me so far include the Bridgestone J40 line-up and the Wilson Staff FG Tour V2's.

This thing must be sliced bread, because I'd have bet anything that Classic you blistered this summer would have been the one.

Driver- this is difficult for me because I really have enjoyed a few this year 1) Cleveland Classic has the looks and the performance to match out of the box 2) Nike VRS great performance but weak stock shaft (reshafted perfection)
3wood RBZ cuz its long, accurate and versatile. Mashie FW old school look, great feel but lacking distance
Hybrid still haven't found one better than my Ezone but the VRS would definitely get the silver
Irons DpC win hands down, clean look, great feel but running a very close second are the 588s with the CMBs getting the bronze. I will say that more time with the 588s and I could see them in my golf cat
Wedges for me fall back to the J40s. Easily the best set of wedges I've gamed. Controlled spin, every shot and
Great feel. But right on its heels are the SCOR wedges. All the same reasons but priced not to move.
Putter still no clear cut winner

Driver- Cleveland Black. Without a doubt it has been a game changer for me. Not only has it improved my game from the tee, but overall it has improved my driver swing. Distance, control, and the confidence to get after the ball from the tee gives the CG Black the Gold medal for me.

(I would call this a 2012 season release)

Nike Method Drone Putter. I have never used anything but a blade style putter (almost all PING). I wanted to go buy a new putter and for some reason I picked up this putter. After 30 minutes of rolling it in Golfsmith, I realized that I loved this putter. Since then my putting has improved dramatically. Rarely do I leave a myself 2 putts after the first roll on a green. I love it and it's changed my thinking on putter shapes.

I just really wrapped my head around how good of a thread this should be, great idea TC. I tried to rep you, but I'm on spread with you apparently. Someone rep this man for me!

I'll try and keep all bias out of my answers and go only be how the club performed for me.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit TA. It just works. I love the concept of the uDesign colors. I love the wide array of shafts available for it. It can be tuned to fit any swing and it's long, and it finds the fairway.
Fairway Wood: The only reason I don't say RBZ is that it's quite hard (for me) to hit off the deck. I give it to the Speedline XTD Super Fairway. It's got a beast of a stock shaft, it flies far, it feels great, and it looks great. The only con (in my opinion) is the price tag.
Hybrid: Idea XTD (see above)
Iron set: This one's tough because of the wide range of types of irons around today - GI and SGI and players CBs and blades. IMO, the best mix of the two this year is the PING i20. It's one of the best looking irons I've ever seen, it's forgiving and has a great feel. And still has enough "player" in it to work the ball.
Wedges: ATV. Beast from all lies. beast stock shaft.
Putter: Haven't spend much time with this year's putters. Metal X gets it for the superb feel and wide selection of head shapes. And they look saweet.
Ball: hex Black. it has it all.
bag: Ogio Chamber. Hold it upside down? Beat that!

Driver: Cleveland classic. Just plain love it and the performance just blew away my R11. Honorable mention to Razr fit.

Hybrid: Mashie... Enough said!

Irons: Cleveland 588 CB's. Awesome feel, players looks with good forgiveness. Classic beautiful lines that exhude confidence at address. Honorable mention to the Ping i20

Wedges: loved the ATV's and the 588's. Calling it a draw, but I have the 588's, so that says something.

Back