Your best golfing experience?

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What's the best golf experience you've ever had.... or that the one that sticks in your mind? Could be a father/son/daughter deal. Or winning a tourney. Or something else. Why does it continue to stick with you and why was it so important?

A golf outing we do every year in August. Nothing terribly special in regards to the outing itself but it’s what got me into golf. A bunch of farmers who play once a year for this fundraiser and my buddies parents needed to fill a foursome. We’ve played in it almost every year in the past 20,

I think that mine is a bit unconventional right now. Personally, it's been fun to watch my game grow and for me to get better each year. I've worked and worked and worked at different parts of my game, trying to get rid of a baseball swing and turn that into a smooth golf swing. Neither my father, grandfathers (both passed when I was a baby), nor my mother golfed, so I didn't pick up the game from them - nor have I had the experiences golfing with them that others have had. I wish I did - but the cards turned out differently for me.

However - as I look back on my golfing experiences, what really sticks out to me is watching my wife, yes my wife, grow into her game and get better and better and better each year - to the point that she won her flight in the club champ last year. She was so proud of herself and the work that she had done all year last year - she's even more motivated this year to improve to compete in the top flight. In the end, I was even more proud of and excited for her than she probably was. And now, as my girls are learning the game and starting to play tournaments this summer, I can only imagine how excited and proud of them I'll be as they continue to grow and learn the game that has become a staple of my life. This has really become a family game for us and something we really enjoy doing together.

In my limited experience, it would be getting to be a part of the first Odyssey Experience at Haig Point. I was playing well for my skill level that weekend and considering it was an event for putters it can't get any better than draining a 40 footer uphill on the 18th hole with Sean Toulon tending the pin for you while using the new putter they gave you to wrap up the event. It was a great weekend in an amazing facility.

The first 18 I played with my dad after he had his heart attack. Neither of us shot particularly well, but we got to play 18 together, even walked it. Being able to spend that time together has meant more than any birdie I have ever gotten.

The Grandaddy.

My favorite yearly golf experience is playing back home with my dad at his member guest. It is always 3 days of playing golf, shoot the S with friends, long drive contest, horse race and a calcutta.

Overall? It is a tie between 2. The 2019 THP Championship and playing in the the 2005 NCAA Division 2 National Championship. The whole experience in Coeur d'Alene was amazing. Got to meet a bunch of THPer and play an awesome course.
The NCAA was cool because we worked so hard as a team to get there.

Two actually stand out for me, because they were completely different types of experiences.

First would be playing Pebble Beach. I was able to arrange to play with three really good friends, we played the week before the US Amateur, so the course was in pristine condition, we had great caddies, and for me it was the top of the bucket list.

The second would be the 2019 Budget Golf Championship. My first, and so far only THP event, two days at the incredible Coeur d'Alene resort course, an amazing group of THPers, meeting @JB, Ryan from Budget Golf, and Finley from Callaway, just a weekend of lifelong memories.

I have two of them.

First was the THP Bridgestone Championship at Firestone. That was freaking awesome.

My first tournament round I enetered I won and it was also my first round under par. Needed to 2 putt from a bad approach (50ft) on 18 to stay under par. Drained it for a -2 69. Had no clue where I was at in the standings but I won pretty handidly. This wasn’t a high end great golfers tournament though.

The Grandaddy. Was an experience that I will never forget.

I played 9 holes in Ireland with my Dad and brother-in-law. We didn’t have any golf planned on the trip (much to my dismay), but we finished our tour early one day and decided to give it a go. Our driver dropped us off at the course outside of Killarney. The 9 hole course was inside a horse racing track. We had a pint before the round and used whatever rental equipment they were able to provide us. I don’t remember anything about the course conditions, but it was just a truly awesome and unique experience. Following the round we had another pint in the clubhouse and then walked a few kilometers back to our hotel. Just too cool and one of my favorite memories from an unforgettable trip.
1617119272710.jpeg

I have a few.

My Dad and I played a number of Father/Son events about 15-20 years ago and we won low gross in one that is a 3 day event (you play once but teams play over 3 days). Our name is on the wall at the club where a good friend is a member which is pretty cool.

My son just got into golf last year at 21 years old and he played my first round as a member at my new club with me.

Back in 1998 I made it to match play in the State Am which was about the pinnacle of my competitive golf career.

I am hoping a destination trip with my son will top the list someday.

The Hype event with Callaway was about as awesome as I’ve experienced. A ton of fun with some of my favorite THPers and getting to beat Darth Finley.

I love reading these. Keep it up!! What else you got THP!??

Pebble this year was really special.

The Morgan Cup though was on another level of cool and mind blowing.

My one THP experience, the 2016 #TheCup was far and away my best golf experience. And I don't mind adding that I believe the current experiences with THP are magnitudes better than that one.

Conclusion: If you are interested in a THP experience, do whatever it takes to make that happen! Life changing. Golf changing. Transformative. And so on.

I have 2 that truly stand out and I played awful both times.
I only got a couple opportunities to play golf with my Grandpa but one where we walked the course together. I was very new to the game and could hit it a long way with no control. We talked a lot during that round and he probably never hit it over 200 yards but his score was way better than mine. I learned a lot about the game that day. I unfortunately didnt realize I was having one of my favorite golf moments until later.

Sunday I walked 9 holes with my daughter (a senior who just took up golf at the end of last season) and son. I played terrible, we probably waited 10 minutes on every tee box and it took 2 hours 45 minutes to play 9. Luckily I realized I was having one of my favorite golf moments so I didn't care that much about the negatives.

Two

Augusta National after working in medical school x 2 (last when Jack won 86) birdie on 12 and 15 last time but some others in there including a near 4 putt.

Qualifying and playing in Panasonic Open a mini tour event in Panama when stationed there. Made cut and was on Panama TV last day after reaching a par 5 in two - sadly missed 12 foot eagle putt but shot a decent 70.

Guess I need to venture out more. I don't have any really cool golf experiences 🤣

I'm going to go with my trip to Bandon Dunes earlier this month. It was always a dream trip. About May or June last year, out of no where, my wife asked, "Do you want to go to Bandon Dunes with Tom (a good friend) for your 50th BDay?" I of course said yes.

I think before that I'd played like 10-12 rounds of golf in the previous six or seven years and I was getting some wonky COVID working from home ergo related shoulder and back kinks that were kinda brutal. Having the trip on the calendar got me back out on the course to shake the rust off. I remember the first hole at Harding Park, standing in the middle of the fairway and feeling like I had space and greenery for the first time after COVID started. So liberating having that kind of space when we live in the city. Started doing light work outs and playing twice a week to get my body in shape to walk six rounds in four days and the wonky kinks and pains went away.

Road tripped up from SF and stopped in Arcata for short redwood hikes on the way up. March in OR is obviously weather roulette. We got lucky. 1st day AM Bandon Dunes round was BEAUTIFUL and my buddy and I played great, high fivefest. PM round at Trails we were ambushed by 20mph winds and an unforecasted sideways hail storm. My buddy went borderline catatonic on the fairway on the 6th and wouldn't budge, the only direction he would walk was back to the clubhouse so we called it. Next AM was forecasting rain and my shellshocked friend didn't want to roll the dice. I went out and played Old McDonald, it was wide open, no one around, and got light drizzles for about 5mins twice. Was amazing. Great weather the next two days and stopped in Arcata for more redwoods on the way home.

Great experience, and lucky to have an amazing non-golfing wife for scheduling a trip that fulfilled a dream, got me out to enjoy a game I love and gave me something to look forward to during this period of extreme weirdness.

In a golf course sense:
Chicago Golf Club. The old feel of it, walking with a caddy, the grounds, the course, everything. If I could play one place the rest of my life, it'd be there.

In a golf sense:
My daughter, 6 at the time, and I were playing in Parent-Junior shamble/alternate shot tournament after their last junior golf clinic. Par 5, she got to tee off from the "family tees" in the fairway. I hit a horrible tee shot left. I told her "just make contact, that's all". She only hit it like 50 or so yds. I hit a 5 iron onto the green about 30ft away. So it was her turn to putt......she absolutely drained it, center-cup. It happened to be the "long putt" hole for the kids too, so she got to write her name on the longest putt deal and we made eagle. Really cool moment that she was so proud that 2 of the 3 shots were hers.

Had an afternoon with a buddy that we played in a crazy rain. It was a blast. We played terrible, I had a club slip out of my hand and fly down the fairway. But is was just a fun day. We were laughing and had a great time.

My first time breaking 80 was special in its own way. I did it shooting 75 with a great group of friends on what used to be an annual golf trip. People had kids, moved away, died and just drifted away from the group.

Each of my THP Experiences was amazing but the best is the Morgan Cup. I made new friends with whom I had an awesome bonding experience. The tour pro treatment that Cobra and Puma gave us was the stuff of dreams. I can't thank my teammates, Team Paradise, Yags, Jos, Rachel and JB and GG enough for that weekend. It happened at a time when folks needed a lift more than they would probably admit. After all that had happened in 2021, it nourished and reinvigorated my soul and spirit.

Back