Your Bucket List Courses That Are Obtainable

Its Paradise week, so I am going to drop a nugget in here.
A number of places people have mentioned are happening in 2020...

THP Experiences...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow! A number of places mentioned are happening! That is awesome. A little THP magic to turn a bucket list into reality. 2020 is going to be something.

Have been fortunate to go to quite a few already. Still remaining at the top of my list are Pebble Beach, Cabot Cliffs/Links, Sand Valley, and Hammock Beach.

Bethpage Black - just to see how high I would score!
Pinehurst #2 - for the history.
TPC Sawgrass - for the history and sheer joy of it.

Pebble Beach and Bandon Dunes US. I think Kingsbarn on the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_6985.jpg
    IMG_6985.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm going to add Whistling Straits to my list as well, mostly because I've heard of so many good experiences up there.

For me, it just terrifies me that I'll go to a place like that and it's so windy that the golf is unplayable for me.
6D12DAB4-F598-4432-8532-A20D6C6E85B0.png

Without reading any other replies and knowing I will be joining not adding, Pebble Beach.

Story time. I’m in Western Canada, regularly get to Iowa and have been to about a dozen other states, had never been to Cali. In April of ‘16, embarked on my buddy’s bucket list trip. In a rented Mustang convertible, we flew to LV and drove Death Valley, Wine Country. Up thru the middle, overnight Lake Tahoe. To the coast just below the redwoods, a day up there, back down to just above SF. Next day, lunchtime in Monterey.

Though we golfed together as teens, he’d long lost interest and in any case wouldn’t have been able to do Pebble by then. So, I was there but couldn’t am OK with that. He was my best man, I was his. He was a smart worldly successful guy who put up a long fight, passed about 2 years ago.

For those who care, the rest was down to Santa Monica and walk Venice Beach (Well. THAT was weird.). Head out to our original intended destination from earliest discussions of the trips’ possibility, Route 66...for any guitar players we stopped at GC Hollywood on the way out and it was not worth the side miles:cool: It was uhh not fabulous driving on a beaten up unmaintained for the most part highway, which area has been very largely stripped of any interesting vestiges of its golden age, and for large stretches parallels a 70mph 4-6 lane while you are bouncing along at 50-55 watching the fast traffic on one side or on the other barren desert :rolleyes:

To Flagstaff, and I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A MOUNTAIN TOWN I thought I’d still be in the desert but no, on about May 1 we drove thru snow for the last hour in and we woke up to 4” on the car. Sedona for a day WORTH IT, Grand Canyon for a day WORTH IT, back to Vegas for an evening walk for a couple hours and flew out next morning. We both loved it and agreed the redwood forests were #1 on the highlight reels.

We did a little too much driving and maybe not quite enough sightseeing, averaged 250 mi a day iirc for 10 days, but did enjoy the changing countryside as we went and saw a ton of familiar from culture or wow lookit that! I could write a page or 2 but won’t, thanks for getting this far :sleep:

Last edited:
Sorry for being a threadkiller!

Bucket List....Mine is broader than most and has been attacked with pretty solid precision. Have played about 1/2 of most any list of best's you can pull up. Having made many trips to British Isles and one to New Zealand. Last year my bucket knock offs were St Enodoc, Sunningdale Old and New, Liberty National and Misquamicut. For 2020 my sights are on Yeamans Hall, Sage Valley, Dumbarnie, Elie and Ardfin. Ardfin has been on my short list for two years now and I haven't been able to determine a path to success. I have read recently that they may be opening up for very limited visitor play. If so a return to The Machrie with a jaunt to Jura and Ardfin might be executable. Have 10 days set up in St Andrews for next August with four days as floaters right now....

Bandon Dunes in Bandon , Oregon is at the top of my bucket list.

Have not been there yet, but I hear they have 4, or 5 courses to play. That, and everything else I hear, is that it's a top knotch golf destination.

Hopefully this next summe we will take road trip up there.

Bandon Dunes in Bandon , Oregon is at the top of my bucket list.

Have not been there yet, but I hear they have 4, or 5 courses to play. That, and everything else I hear, is that it's a top knotch golf destination.

Hopefully this next summe we will take road trip up there.
5th full 18 Sheep Ranch opens 6/1/20 They also have preserve as par 3 13 hole course which is busiest course they have. So 6 courses. It is best place in US...period. It is golf heaven for linksy golfers. The place is walking only. It's not cheap. But for what you get you could argue it is.

Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst No. 2, Torrey Pines, St. Andrews to name a few.

Last edited:
Off to Australia in February and will cross off

Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Barnbougle, Cape Wickham and NSW

:love:

1. Pebble - which I told my wife is my goal to play when I turn 40
2. Spyglass
3. Banff
4. Bandon

Pebble, Pinehurst #2, Bethpage Black, Old Course, Carnoustie all for the historical aspect. Situations may be different, but to kinda see where some of the greatest moments in golf history happened would be pretty special.
pebble and bethpage black. pebble will happen for my 40th in a couple years. bethpage hopefully soon as well!

Playing Pinehurst in a couple of weeks

16FF79A4-2CE9-4B01-94D2-7B1BA2C49F8D.jpeg

Pebble - great idea for your 40th - maybe 50th for me :D

Old Course St. Andrews is my 40th Bucket List Trip

Bethpage Black (and Bethpage Red since I’ll be there) I want to do the overnight, sleep in the car for the full experience, since I’m crazy.

Already checked 9 off the list but here are some that remain:

Pebble Beach
Spyglass Hill
Pinehurst No 2
Pasatiempo
Karsten Creek

1. The Country Club
2. Torrey
3. Spyglass
4. Pebble
5. The Country Club...lol

Off to Australia in February and will cross off

Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Barnbougle, Cape Wickham and NSW

:love:
That is my bucket list trip...But if I go that far gotta get a few others in too. ENJOY...

Bucket List....Mine is broader than most and has been attacked with pretty solid precision. Have played about 1/2 of most any list of best's you can pull up. Having made many trips to British Isles and one to New Zealand. Last year my bucket knock offs were St Enodoc, Sunningdale Old and New, Liberty National and Misquamicut. For 2020 my sights are on Yeamans Hall, Sage Valley, Dumbarnie, Elie and Ardfin. Ardfin has been on my short list for two years now and I haven't been able to determine a path to success. I have read recently that they may be opening up for very limited visitor play. If so a return to The Machrie with a jaunt to Jura and Ardfin might be executable. Have 10 days set up in St Andrews for next August with four days as floaters right now....
Was not expecting Ardfin in an "obtainable" list! I imagine a visitors policy there will be pricey to say the least but it looks spectacular. Between that, Machrie, and Machrihanish, you could put together a mighty fine golf trip without even setting foot on the mainland!

Was not expecting Ardfin in an "obtainable" list! I imagine a visitors policy there will be pricey to say the least but it looks spectacular. Between that, Machrie, and Machrihanish, you could put together a mighty fine golf trip without even setting foot on the mainland!
Everything is obtainable. Especially outside of US. The most private places in UK love Americans coming and paying amounts which ultimately reduce their costs. US privates like to thumb their nose at non member invited visitor play. I'm following the developments at Ardfin. I have written to owner with no reply...Ha but recent info speaks to a slight opening of visitor policy. And not cheap yes. But I work lots of angles. Machrie has been revamped. MAchrihanish first tee shot is up there with first at Old....

Playing six courses in Melbourne then both courses in King Island and Barnbougle and finally Lakes course and NSW . So 12 rounds in two weeks. Plus practice!

Back