Pretty well established and maintained. I wouldn’t call them fluffy or dusty when you take a shot out of one. Slightly grainy but in a good way.

The bunkers at the course we play most often are generally a complete disaster. And it never fails that every time they add sand and get them straight we have two or three days of rain and it washes away most of the work they just did. There are many times when we assess the condition of the bunkers at the start of the round and we'll decide if we'll be playing from them or not. They get really really bad.

Depends on the course but most of them are decent and well maintained. Not overly fluffy but not packed.. Somewhere in between.

Inconsistent, need sand and better management to keep the sand even and play consistent

I’m not sure about the type of sand. They are usually not too fluffy but never hard and compact. Small grain sand that is loose and soft.
The local par 3 muni that I play with my daughter at has bunkers that are like hitting off the cart path and if we get rain half full of water that takes weeks to drain. Most of the time if we end up in those bunkers, we take a free drop a few yards back in the rough.

grainy grey kids sandbox style

lrlmuCc.jpg

My local course tends to be 50/50 some rock hard, some super soft. Although I haven't been on the course since October.

A lot of the courses near me are like a half inch of sand with mostly gravel and clay under the sand. Some others are gravel pits some of the gravel bEing half the size of a golf ball.

A mishmash of a disaster. Some bunkers are a little fluffy but rocky, other are basically hard pan.

By far, they are the worst part of the course. They have been neglected for years. They are compacted and generally stay damp, as the drainage stinks. They did add piles of sand to a few last summer, but didn't necessarily spread it out. Some have grass poking through in places. Just semi-regular dragging or raking would help immensely.

KIMG2375.JPG

Last edited:
Pure crap. Probably 97% dirt, 2% rocks and 1% sand. They are definitely hazards.

really good since being redone a few years ago. fair and consistent outside a few that stopped draining as well after rain.

Pure crap. Probably 97% dirt, 2% rocks and 1% sand. They are definitely hazards.

Ours are very similar! More rocks than sand!!!:mad:

Depends on the weather. The sand around here unless you're at a well maintained private course tends to become hard and packed real quick and doesn't dry out very quickly. If it's been nice, it's probably moderately dense sand. Definitely not fluffy or soft in any means.

If you could flatten a bowling ball and apply 80 grit sandpaper to the surface...that’s what I’ve got here

All over the place. Some are good, most are bad. I haven't played the country clubs; I would hope they have better sand.

I remember it took me like 4 shots to get out of a green side bunker in San Diego because the sand was perfect and I didn't know how to play it haha. I'm a ghetto golfer.

Fairly deep and well groomed. Not rocky and soft without being too fluffy.

grass

Not good. They might get worked once a month maybe.

Pros: The bunkers are good sand quality and consistency.
Cons: The bunkers are deep and large. There are a ton of them by the greens and in the middle of fairways.

More dirt than sand unfortunately. It's a shame because the rest of the course is well maintained.

I play alot of courses and it's all over the map. My primary course (play @25% of rounds there) is much better now than it was. They spent about 18 months systematically digging out all 80ish traps out and installing real good drainage systems. Work was finished last winter and all season long we had nice firm sand in all our traps. The mixtures in the fairway bunkers is slightly firmer than the greenside traps too which is nice. Glad they went firm vs too fluffy. I play firm sand better.

When they’re not full of water they are a mix of mud and hard pan, unplayable 90% of the time.

Always consistent. If severe weather washes any of them out, they are usually back up within a few weeks.

The fairway bunkers are packed tight. The greenside are left soft/fluffy. It's all the same sand though.

about 3 inches of loose gravel with concrete underneath. I think bunkers are one of the most neglected parts of your mid average semi private course. They take a ton of money to keep nice and do right.

Back