Your choice: 18 Pars or 9 Birdies & 9 Bogeys?

I'd take 18 pars. Means I'm hitting them how I should be.

9 and 9 for me. It means I was going for it and was relatively on. 18 pars, while still very nice obviously, wouldn't be as exciting or feel like it was as good of a round.

i'll take consistent inconsistency and go with 9/9 with the expectation that it's more likely to be 5/13 in favor of bogeys

9 and 9 for me too. Means my potential really can go low. Analyze the bogeys to figure out what to do differently to eliminate them.

9 and 9 - same as many others - shows the potential is there to go significantly lower.

I think I would have to choose 18 pars. The consistency would help me sleep at night, but at the same time might drive me a little crazy with how boring it might be. Although, shooting par probably is not that boring... Anyways, I digress. 18 pars!

18 pars.

Either way is even par, but 18 straight pars is tougher than 9 birdies and 9 bogies IMO. Probably be a couple of knee-knocker length putts in there to achieve.

I agree, 18 straight pars would be the toughest. But legendary!

I'll take the 18 pars.
I almost did that once last year. I had 17 pars and 1 bogey.

I would take 18 pars all day. I would consider it a round played out as planned, get on the green get in the hole.
I don't actually think I have ever accomplished the feat (even on 9 holes), of all pars.

Would be very happy with it.

18 pars...let’s me know I’m consistent in navigating the course. No blow up holes.

I’d take the pars. That much consistency would be awesome!

I think I go with all pars! At some point feel like that would mean something is clicking... Go on a bogey streak would be rough after stringing some birds together.

Since the majority of my golf is skins game. I am going to go with 9 birdies and 9 bogeys. All 18 pars does is get me broke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think I would have to choose 18 pars. The consistency would help me sleep at night, but at the same time might drive me a little crazy with how boring it might be. Although, shooting par probably is not that boring... Anyways, I digress. 18 pars!
Since it wasn't specified that they were 18 ho-hum, kick-in pars, I'm guessing that it wouldn't necessarily be boring. It would probably involve a few good up and downs or knee-knocker putts to save pars. I know my pars are sometimes pretty, uhhhh, adventurous.

While I agree with your post I believe the difference between the two options is day and night. I Have not made 18 pars in a round, but I haven't had nine birdies and bogies in a round. Pars are what make good scores and birdies and bogies are ups and downs. Way more excitement with birdies/bogies than 18 pars.
Yes, I would agree that 9 birdies and 9 bogeys is a more emotional round. The phrase that came to mind was an emotional roller coaster.

I say give me the birdies. I'd even go for 2 eagles, 9 birdies, 7 bogies, a double, and a quad!

Last edited:
I have had 3, 18 par rounds and quite frankly at the end of the day.. it's kind of a boring round. Granted it was well played and near everything was working well. No doubt some miracles happened for a few putts and really well made chips. BUT IT WAS HO HUM IN A WAY.
I had one round where I was -5 at the turn with no bogeys and made 1 birdie and three bogeys on the back.
A steady playing partner of mine brings up that front side 9 from time to time. He never mentions the 18 par days.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Love the up and down... give me the birdies and bogies. Makes the round fun rather than just tapping in for par each hole

9 birdies for sure.

I don't think I've made 9 birdies this year.

Back