Your Course: Not Including Golf

Pool and marina if we ever get a boat.

Last year 2 guys from our league took over the bar and grill and turned it around. There would be a handful of guys at the bar after league because of the service. There is also an awesome deck that over looks the first tee and 18th green.

the one starter Elmer who if I bribe with a cigar even though he's smoking/chewing on one at 730 am and is a few drinks deep, will squeeze me on even without a reservation since I'm not cleared to golf until last minute

Honestly - nothing. The only good thing there is the course. It’s owned by the city and they refuse to invest into anything else. Course is great. Everything else 👎

In our community, the 9 hole course is right beside the club house, pool, tennis courts, etc. So, I guess the amenities.

The staff is a big reason I will stay at my course. Since I play as a single often, early in the morning, they usually just let me go when I arrive.

My old muni was great for its practice facility. The range had grass and mats, plus th err was a chipping area near the 18th. Though not immaculate, it is solid.

The staff. I like everybody who brings my food and drink, even though they make me pay for it.

Take away the course and the practice related areas, I guess it’s the poor excuse of a pro shop or the road leaving.

Clubhouse does have a decent bathroom.

Short game area. It's open from sun up, to sun down, 7 days a week. All fairway, real turf.

You can use your own balls.

Has 4 practice greens
One for pitches, chips, and putts up to 15 yards. Bunker included.

3 more 10 foot diameter greens for shots up to 160 yards.

Different areas to practice awkward lies.

Usually not crowded at all. Can always find room to practice some part of my game.

Has everything I need, that the driving range can't offer.
Per the first post, NOT including practice facilities

I play a no frills muni. But the course is in great shape.

My favorite non course bit…. The air compressor I use to clean my golf shoes after the round. 😃

I play a no frills muni. But the course is in great shape.

My favorite non course bit…. The air compressor I use to clean my golf shoes after the round. 😃
Sometimes it’s the little things, right? Our course has that as well and it’s fantastic

I don't belong to a course/club, but my favorite part of all the ones I play (not golf related) is always the parking lot. Hear me out...

After a round with friends it always seems none of us have time to go for a drink or food because we all have to get going right away, but yet somehow 15-30 minutes later we're all still leaning against our vehicles in the parking lot chatting away. Yep, the best conversations happen in the parking lot when getting ready to leave after the round.

Mango Scented Towels...Again

A view. It really is about all we have, but it is a spectacular view

Ok, this might sound like a super weird one, but I'm weird so let's roll with it, but I love that they have spray deodorant in the bathrooms. If we play a round and then want to grab something to eat upstairs, I love that I can go to the ladies locker room and "freshen up" before heading to the bar for some food.

Tonight is Pub Night at our club and that means Burgers and Wings (rest of the menu is available). @GolferGal convinced me to go

I wished there were something, but there is nothing.

Great upstairs patio to heckle people from, and a lot of really nice members. Always fun to just shoot the breeze with someone and walk away as friends.

Or enemies, if you heckle well enough haha

$2 domestic beers from 3 pm to 6pm. ;)

Cheap Yuengling on the deck on a nice day. Otherwise it's nothing fancy AT ALL. The place costs $40 with a cart on a weekend, what do you want? :LOL:

At my course the clubhouse burned down in May 2020. They just started rebuilding a month or 2 ago. Since then the shop has been inside one of those rental temporary double wide trailers and the pool has been closed since 2018. Given that I am picking between the parking lot, the carts, and the fishing in the few ponds that dot the course. I don't fish, I live on the course so never drive to the lot, and I almost exclusively walk when I play so I am going to say nothing is my favorite thing outside of golf because my course offers me nothing except golf. Honestly that is A-Ok with me though because I am not a big social person anyway.

Honestly I'd say right now that the only good things about my club are a few great employees and the members themselves. If it wasn't for that then I wouldn't still be there. They shut down what we called the "quarry" which was a little bar and grill on the patio outside. They moved the pro in there during the start of Covid last year because they couldn't open the main building and he's stayed out there since because he likes that he can see. This means there is no one in the pro shop. The bar/restaurant is ok but the service is terrible because the company makes them run so short handed. We can have 20-30 guys on Wednesday night in the men's room for golf picks and we can't get a steady server and have to walk into the bar to order. Not to mention one of the 2 AC units has been out for 6 weeks and they "say" the part won't ship until 9/20. That will be two months in the Texas summer without proper AC so business has taken a hit. The course itself needs a ton of work. A guy counted 52 leaks from the irrigation almost 40 year old irrigation system but they won't fix/replace it.

The course is definitely the main draw for us at our club, as we don't have things like tennis or pool etc

However, the food is definitely worth a visit, and we get people from around the area booking for Sunday lunch
The members and staff are all great as well, and welcomed us when we joined and we have got to know a lot of them over the last few years

Back