Your Diamond in the Rough best places to play

GolfTravelDude

Team Hackers Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
WE all have one or two. Let's hear about them. What is your favorite off the beaten track golf course? I'll post 3.
The Shattuck in Jaffrey New Hampshire....It's crazy tough, beautiful scenery A 2nd would be Crumpin Fox in Massachusetts great course tests all clubs in bag. Last is a place on SW coast of England Perranporth....Fantastic, old school, blind shots, crazy elevation changes, little village on horizon next to coast 400 feet below.

Haven’t played enough off the beaten track courses I’d think to venture a response but the Perranporth sounds incredible.

Pendleton Golf Club near Fredericksburg, VA is great and tucked away from a lot of stuff.

WE all have one or two. Let's hear about them. What is your favorite off the beaten track golf course? I'll post 3.
The Shattuck in Jaffrey New Hampshire....It's crazy tough, beautiful scenery A 2nd would be Crumpin Fox in Massachusetts great course tests all clubs in bag. Last is a place on SW coast of England Perranporth....Fantastic, old school, blind shots, crazy elevation changes, little village on horizon next to coast 400 feet below.
Have never played either but have heard Shattuck is brutal and my brother and I decided to pass on Crumpin Fox after seeing the aerial flyover. Decided we liked playing a course we wouldn't lose 20+ balls 🤣. One day we'll play it though cuz it looks great. I've mentioned it before but Shennecosset in Groton, CT is a fantastic course that I need to get back to.

Have never played either but have heard Shattuck is brutal and my brother and I decided to pass on Crumpin Fox after seeing the aerial flyover. Decided we liked playing a course we wouldn't lose 20+ balls 🤣. One day we'll play it though cuz it looks great. I've mentioned it before but Shennecosset in Groton, CT is a fantastic course that I need to get back to.

I’ve played Shennecosset. Nice Donald Ross course. I’ve also played Crumpin Fox.

Emerald Canyon Golf Course, in Parker, AZ. It's a county-owned course right along the Colorado River - very rugged, scenic and challenging, and very fun to play.

Hmmm, locally, I can think of a few that I love.

Gus Wortham - definitely plays 2nd fiddle as far as the local Houston muni courses go to Memorial Park, but it is a stellar layout and a really fun course
Grand Lake Golf Club - a barely hanging on course on the north side of town in the middle of nowhere, but it is one of the best layouts I have played in the area
Eagle Point - nice course about 45 minutes east of Houston, so it doesn't get a lot of play compared to equal courses closer to the city, but it is a great value for the conditions

My home course, Poplar Grove, is in the middle of nowhere in Amherst, VA but is a really great track with varying degrees of difficulty throughout the course. It has some really great views as well.

I have not played either yet but Devil’s Knob is supposed to be amazing views and difficult with lots of elevation changes and Stony Creek has 27 holes and you can play 18 and chose any 2 of the 3 9 hole courses to combine. It is also supposed to be superb. Both are in the middle of nowhere in Wintergreen, VA with Devil’s Knob more up the mountain on hilly terrain and Stony Creek down lower with flatter terrain. Stoney Creek is open to the public but Devil’s Knob is private. I do have an in for Devil’s Knob but just have not had the chance to make it out there.

Poplar grove in Amherst, Va

sam sneads last design. Super pretty and fun layout.

My Wife , and I have a little favorite place south (20 miles?).of Laughlin, NV. 110 miles south of Vegas It's called the Avi Resort. It's just off the the Needles Highway, on the Nevada side of the Colorado River.

The place offers gambling, hotel, rv park, smoke shop, restrauants, water sports, a movie theater, and of course a very nice golf course. My Wife likes to play the slots, and I play the golf course.

The Mojave Golf Course is one of my favorite courses to return to. It's just "tough enough" to play.

The whole area is on an Native American Indian Reservation.

Due to the virus, we haven't visited there in quite a while. In normal times, we we would visit there 5-6 times a year.

An Avi room, and round of golf can be had for well under $100 a day, Monday- Thursday.

We use to go to Mesquite NV quite often, but golf wise the area has become pretty crowded with egotistical retirees. (jmo).
That said, I saw that the Casablanca Resort is offering a "stay and play" golf package for $99. The Casablanca Golf Course is a very nice golf course. Visitors here should stay an extra day to play that Wolf Creek Monster is my suggestion.

Near Louisville I have to say Sultan's Run in Jasper Indiana. It's close to the French Lick resort where the Pete Dye course and Donald Ross course are located. The Pete Dye is $300 for a day pass and the Ross course is $180. Sultan's Run I around $50. The layout and scenery are breathtaking and it is a fantastic test of golf. If you're in the area do not miss this beauty.

If you want to drive north in New England Sugarloaf has an awesome golf course with spectacular views definitely worth the drive. I agree on Crumpin Fox a great golf course that doesn't get a ton of recognition. Not under the radar but if you can weasel out on Taconic while in Western Mass it is a must play.

Shattuck is a ball eater for sure, Crumpin not so much unless you hit fatso's on the forced carries on about 4 holes. Love Shenny and have played it often, usually in the winter as they stay open year round.

Hmmm, locally, I can think of a few that I love.

Gus Wortham - definitely plays 2nd fiddle as far as the local Houston muni courses go to Memorial Park, but it is a stellar layout and a really fun course
Grand Lake Golf Club - a barely hanging on course on the north side of town in the middle of nowhere, but it is one of the best layouts I have played in the area
Eagle Point - nice course about 45 minutes east of Houston, so it doesn't get a lot of play compared to equal courses closer to the city, but it is a great value for the conditions
Good stuff, Thanks for sharing. I know I made this post. But predominantly the idea is to share to the THP forum.

Perranporth is on my list, only heard good things about it.

Two for you

Dunedin Florida - Tampa Bay Golf Course - Dunedin Golf Club

St Andrews Beach, Victoria -St Andrews Beach Golf Course | A Pure Golf Experience
Have traveled to Tampa often. And lived in Port St Lucie for 7 years. Typically while I was in Tampa area it was to roll to World Woods or Black Diamond Ranch and Innisbrook...Then Streamsong opened and that became the go to and as a Tampa visit will be much more infrequent....Can't imagine not going to Streamsong as the primary reason to visit the area.
St Andrews Beach is definitely part of my bucket trip to Australia, Kings Island and Tasmania. Have reviewed that itinerary a few times in past month.

Have reviewed that itinerary a few times in past month.

Spend plenty of time in Melbourne , there are so many places to play. King Island is a must, as is Barnbougle, but I would not go back to either, and go to Sydney just to play NSW

My home course, Poplar Grove, is in the middle of nowhere in Amherst, VA but is a really great track with varying degrees of difficulty throughout the course. It has some really great views as well.

I have not played either yet but Devil’s Knob is supposed to be amazing views and difficult with lots of elevation changes and Stony Creek has 27 holes and you can play 18 and chose any 2 of the 3 9 hole courses to combine. It is also supposed to be superb. Both are in the middle of nowhere in Wintergreen, VA with Devil’s Knob more up the mountain on hilly terrain and Stony Creek down lower with flatter terrain. Stoney Creek is open to the public but Devil’s Knob is private. I do have an in for Devil’s Knob but just have not had the chance to make it out there.
Poplar Grove holds promise for me. And if I was to make the run out 3 hours....I'd look to loop in Wintergreen area too....Nice

Have reviewed that itinerary a few times in past month.

Spend plenty of time in Melbourne , there are so many places to play. King Island is a must, as is Barnbougle, but I would not go back to either, and go to Sydney just to play NSW
Here's the view to Melbourne area...Melbourne Airport to The National Golf Club - Google Maps
NSW is a conundrum......Everything I read says go go go....but it is a one off far away....and looping in King Island and Tasmania.....Ugh, Good things to take my mind off other stuff.....

My Wife , and I have a little favorite place south (20 miles?).of Laughlin, NV. 110 miles south of Vegas It's called the Avi Resort. It's just off the the Needles Highway, on the Nevada side of the Colorado River.

The place offers gambling, hotel, rv park, smoke shop, restrauants, water sports, a movie theater, and of course a very nice golf course. My Wife likes to play the slots, and I play the golf course.

The Mojave Golf Course is one of my favorite courses to return to. It's just "tough enough" to play.

The whole area is on an Native American Indian Reservation.

Due to the virus, we haven't visited there in quite a while. In normal times, we we would visit there 5-6 times a year.

An Avi room, and round of golf can be had for well under $100 a day, Monday- Thursday.

We use to go to Mesquite NV quite often, but golf wise the area has become pretty crowded with egotistical retirees. (jmo).
That said, I saw that the Casablanca Resort is offering a "stay and play" golf package for $99. The Casablanca Golf Course is a very nice golf course. Visitors here should stay an extra day to play that Wolf Creek Monster is my suggestion.
Good stuff. Avi sounds sweet. Actually stayed at Casablanca once. Golf was set up elsewhere but did make one round there. Played Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon, Falcon Ridge, Conestoga and Wolf Creek. That area is a special area and doesn't get the recognition it deserves....

Near Louisville I have to say Sultan's Run in Jasper Indiana. It's close to the French Lick resort where the Pete Dye course and Donald Ross course are located. The Pete Dye is $300 for a day pass and the Ross course is $180. Sultan's Run I around $50. The layout and scenery are breathtaking and it is a fantastic test of golf. If you're in the area do not miss this beauty.
Sultans sounds sweet...Triple S...Ha

If you want to drive north in New England Sugarloaf has an awesome golf course with spectacular views definitely worth the drive. I agree on Crumpin Fox a great golf course that doesn't get a ton of recognition. Not under the radar but if you can weasel out on Taconic while in Western Mass it is a must play.
Have thought of a Sugarloaf visit often. Have been to Taconic a few times. They offer public play. But here's the secret...When you call say you are a Williams alumni...It's 1/2 price that way. I walked in one time to pay for my 4some and the guy in front of me said he was alumni...and what he paid shocked me. And he didn't show any id so I step up and say Williams alumni. pay and wow what a reduction. As they hit ya for over 70k a year for going there, I wasn't feeling like I hurt them.....

Poplar Grove holds promise for me. And if I was to make the run out 3 hours....I'd look to loop in Wintergreen area too....Nice
Let me know if you make it towards Amherst. We can get together at Poplar Grove for a round.

Tecolote Canyon executive course in San Diego. It’s not the most beautiful or well groomed course, but it is the most challenging executive course I’ve ever played. Narrow fairways require you to play straight off the tee box or spend a lot of time hunting for balls, and the vast majority of greens are raised. Despite being just over 3100 yards with only a couple of par 4s, that course has always played more like a full size course to me in terms of difficulty.

Let me know if you make it towards Amherst. We can get together at Poplar Grove for a round.
Will do. If gonna happen it will be this spring.

Back