Your Diamond in the Rough best places to play

Glad you enjoyed World Woods too... i was just amazed with the place....
Uh oh.... Xavier, eh?? My son was an FP kid (he will be 27 this year). Plenty of rivalry in athletics between those schools over the years!
That son is scratch golfer now down in Princeton age 38

My 2 favorite courses in my area are: ravens claw and bellevista gc. Both are top notch not too pricey and fun to play.

My 2 favorite courses in my area are: ravens claw and bellevista gc. Both are top notch not too pricey and fun to play.
Have played in tourney at Schuylkill CC better ball of 2 with my son a few times. I'd ride him around like a cheap mule...Ha Haven't played Ravens Claw or Bellevista.

I have not played Mystic Creek but many of my friends have and they say it is a super nice course but fairly difficult.
I've played Chamberlyne at least a dozen times and really like the course. It's a bit quirky and possibly not as finely manicured as some of the HS Village courses, but it's still one of my favorite tracks.
Another of my favorites is Glenwood Country Club in Glenwood, AR. It's a fun and challenging tree line course with lots of elevation changes and unique hole layouts. The staff there has always been super nice and if you can talk them into letting you fish the lakes on the course, there are plenty of crappie and bluegill to be caught.

Glenwood is a course to play! I’ve only been once and that was in my early days of golfing. I hope to make some trips around the state to play some of these courses soon.

This course tucked away in Margate FL outside of Ft Lauderdale called Oriole Golf Course. My dad took me there to play all the time and we would go eat hotdogs and bar food afterwards in the dining area. I play it every time I go visit my family in Ft Lauderdale just for the memories, but this year if I make it down will be the first time it means much more since my dad passed away last year.

Its a tight course because there are condos/apartments all around it. Its not the best in the world but its cheap, its fun, and its a challenge.

I don't get away from CT, for golf, very often... so, aside from Connecticut Courses ( where I guess all of CT could be considered off the beaten path) i don't have a ton of outside experience... That said:

World Woods in Brooksville, FL - either the Pine Barrens OR the Rolling Oaks course - take your pick. Played down there a couple of years ago when i was visiting a buddy in Citrus Hills, FL It was a great time. Two completely different feels between courses, definitely not just a continuation of one course or the other. Both are Fazio designs.... I would definitely play there again when i'm down there visiting. Not sure i've ever seen a practice range as big as the one at World Woods... it is enormous.

Sadly, it's not in the greatest shape anymore. Layout tee to green is still fine, but the greens are a total coin toss. Rolling Oaks just had some sorta fungus do a number on them, they just sent out an advertisement via email saying they're not to their standards blah blah blah... 🤷‍♂️

The Ledges in South Hadley, MA. It's a muni that is always in great condition and has a fantastic layout.

https://www.ledgesgc.com/

Glenwood is a course to play! I’ve only been once and that was in my early days of golfing. I hope to make some trips around the state to play some of these courses soon.
If you ever happen to be near NE Louisiana, Black Bear is another good one.
Mountain is a fun course that I would like to play again. It’s been years since I’ve been there. I’ve been told that village creek is nice, but I’ve not played there yet.

The Ledges in South Hadley, MA. It's a muni that is always in great condition and has a fantastic layout.

Have a group of buds all retired Pratt guys mostly...They play every week rolling around area using The Golfing Magazine Card...pay like $20 a round and Ledges is always one they visit. I use to play with them and still do just only a few times in the year.

Positively LOVE that course. My brother lives in southern CT on the 91 corridor, and I live 2 miles from I-91 in VT. We've linked up and played this course at least once for 7 years now. We also played, similar area, Tekoa and enjoyed that. Same idea for Cold Spring Country Club, that course eats me up for some reason :LOL:

Back