Your Distance Measuring Device?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So many options in the golf tech world right now.
Lasers
GPS
Smart Phone
Data Tracking like Shot Scope
Golf Specific Watches
Apple Watch
The list is long.

In Bellerive, we tried something a bit different as we used our lasers and then put a GPS watch on the back of the bag cinched onto one of the handles. It was nice to have that info as we were grabbing clubs. Then also because it was the Voice Caddie, we had green maps, etc at our fingertips.

What do you use? What are you missing?

Lately, combining my father's GPS with my Leaupold laser. I should prob just use the GPS alone, but can't seem to kick knowing the exact pin number.

I have a bushnell that I use, but want to get into the GPS watch and try it out. I don't know if I will mentally be able to 100% trust the watch and not use the laser range finder though.

Laser
GPS watch
Golfshot on iPhone

Currently am using the Bushnell Tour V5 Shift for pins. I also keep a basic GPS watch on my bag for FMB distances and hazard distances. I'm pretty pleased with the setup as I am familiar with most of the courses that I play, so hole layouts are not super concerning for me.

I use Arccos on my phone and a Precision Pro NX7 Slope.

SkyCaddie GPS & Nikon laser. I’m trying out V1 Game on my Apple Watch this morning.

Currently a laser, Sureshot Pinloc 5000IP, but I’m in the market for a new laser as well as a new GPS To go back to dual wielding, I play better with both numbers available!

Garmin watch. I like having the information on my wrist.

I have a laser and I usually use Arccos as my GPS device. Lately I've only been going Laser and I kind of miss the info from Arccos actually.

Nikon laser with the vibration reduction.

Does everything I need, especially considering I play the same handful of courses rather than seeing new ones.

I use a laser. I have thought about GPS devices but I never wear a watch and would probably lose one if I had it or I worry that having something unusual for me on my wrist will mess with me. I half thought about a GPS that just sits in the cart but again, probably something I would forget and leave behind so I never got one.

Laser and GPS, works good for me.

rangerfinder and phone (grint)...

golf carts at the course have touch screen GPS units to measure to any spot on the hole, but I still use a laser and a GPS watch.

I have the grint app and I have a sky caddie SX400 (currently expired membership). I am thinking about getting a laser as well. That should have me covered..

I currently use a Garmin G30 with a mount I attach to the cart frame. I have a laser but I don't feel like that helps as much. The Garmin is pretty accurate and I haven't played a course yet that it didn't "know". Good enough for who it's for certainly.

Only laser. I don't feel like I am missing anything since I play the same course almost every day. If I played several course only a few times a year, I could definitely see where GPS would be very usefull in addition to laser.

Apple Watch currently, but I'm struggling with it. It's much slower than my Garmin watch at updates and I have to be sure to have that watch fully charged right before the round. Battery leaves a lot to be desired.

Considering going back to Garmin S62

I primarily use my Caddytek Laser Rangefinder though I will occasionally look at my Shot Scope V3 to get front and back yardages. On rare occasions I'll also use it to get yardages to and over fairway bunkers. I've got a couple of holes with hazards, ponds/lakes, where lay-ups off the tee and even a 2nd shot on the closing par 5, are required but the landing area and hazard can't be seen and I've used my Precision Pro Golf GPS App to get the ideal layup yardage.

Precision Pro NX7 is all I use.

I have a GPS watch. What I think I'm missing is something that will give me distance to a dogleg. I want distance from where I am on the course to the green and to hazards, but I don't know how far I am from a dogleg. I don't think a laser would help me with that.

Currently using the ShotScope watch for about 75% of my yardage info. Having that right on my wrist is really helpful. If there's an elevation change or a landmark I want the distance to I'll pull out my rangefinder.

I have arccos on my phone but have been using a leupold GX5i3. Really solid unit. Use the laser more than gps, but I love the overall hole layout that arccos has. I am sure other interfaces are really good, but have no need to find something else right now.

I have bought no tech on this end. If the golf cart has GPS, which now it seems to be 50/50 by me whether they do or not, that is what I'll use for the round. If they dont, I will use The Grint gps here and there, but not even on every shot. I've been thinking about a Laser but cant pull myself to spend the money.

Back