YOUR equipment misconceptions?

Adams gear was for "older" players
The golf ball I play doesn't matter that much
Wilson = cheap box set
Titleist = better players

The newest equipment will let me hit it straighter and longer everytime :banghead:

I don't even know enough about equipment to know what my misconceptions are. For instance: Is a draw biased driver intended to help you draw the ball, or is it for people that already do? I don't know, and I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff I don't know as well.

That swing weight of a club means so much, I totally obsess about this and it needs to stop. I can play D1, 2, 3 in any club in the bag and I would be fine. Hell, they could be all mixed throughout the bag and wouldn't affect my game like I believe. I pay way to much attention to specs. Dismissing or not buying a particular club because the face is shallow and has a D1 swing weight has probably hurt me more then helped me as one example. I feel like I can adjust to what I have along the way and just play.

I guess the worst and dumbest for me was buying golf clubs without trying them out on the range. That was a lot of money down the drain.

Otherwise, I can't think of any other misconceptions, just plain old ignorance.

-Shafts don't make much of a difference, just give me some rebar. Proven wrong when my ball flight completely changed from X100 to KBS Tour V 120 X at The Grandaddy...high ballooning ball flight went down to mid-trajectory, and shot shape changed for the better. Also, I've tried a couple of shafts in the Mystery Boomstick since The Grandaddy...the one they fitted me to is so superior to both what I've tried and the shaft I was playing in my other driver it isn't even funny.

-I can't hit a hybrid. Proven wrong when I was fitted to the right hybrid & shaft combo.

-Lighter shafts aren't necessarily better for me despite what I thought.

-A ball is a ball is a ball. Wrong...I'm now picky, even at my skill level.

-A MB wedge has no place in my bag. I now have 3. I love them.

-Long irons can't be forgiving. Apex CF16 4 iron and Apex UT utility irons changed that idea for me.

Thought of another one of mine...

Heavier putters.

It got in to my head that I benefited only from heavy putters. I confused benefiting with preferring. Switching to a lighter weight putter early last year yielded some great results, and it was SO much lighter than what I had been gaming for years.

I honestly don't think I have any equipment misconceptions. Then again, I don't shafts have anywhere near the effect on the ball as the majority seem to here, so maybe that is a misconception, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest misconception, for years, was that I had to swing hard to hit the ball a long way. Age and infirmity finally solved that one.

I'll admit that up until a few years ago, in the back of my mind I felt that high lofted drivers (12* and up) are great for higher handicappers, but a good player would never be caught dead with one in his bag. Yeah, once I kicked the ego to the curb and realized how much of a benefit it was, I was a little embarrassed because I should have known better than to think like that.

Properly fitted clubs only make a difference to the top top players

I still think Cleveland Altitudes have way too much offset. :D

My misconception : As my golf striking capabilities improve ( good swing results ) I often reward myself with buying new clubs .... new iron set, new fairway woods, new hybrids, and so on. Thinking new clubs are going to make be a better golfer.

Four years later, I can conclude, those were waste of money..... , those clubs were rarely use because I have experience that changing golf equipments too frequent actually ruined my score card , or made me think that I should change my swing technique or change my ball position.

A small investment in a set of lessons is minimal compared to the cost of new equipment. Found last year after many years of constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest that $300 in lessons was the fastest and more rewarding way to reduce handicap. Made a huge improve t in GIR in 2016 which I attribute to a few swing corrections resulting from proper instruction.

My misconception.......I didn't need a stinkin' range finder. I felt I was pretty darn good at figuring out yardages. Broke down and bought one late last year. Afterwards, knowing the exact yardage, my confidence soared that I was choosing the correct club along with how far I was actually hitting each club.

Blades are not forgiving - well I find my scores do not really change from blades to players Cb's. as long as you have he swing speed blades work just as well as anything

That only low cappers and pros should play Pro V1 & Bridgestone B330 balls.

That getting fit couldn't make THAT big a difference!

This was the most eye opening thing for me. I haven't noticed much difference in shafts except for the weight, but lie angles and length have really made a huge difference. I have always questioned putter fittings, but I'm going to give that a try next.

I was long against graphite iron shafts. Not just because of my assumption of their inferiority but because they were once built to longer than standard steel specs so I assumed they still were.

Today's technologies haven't only proven me wrong, they have me anxiously anticipating their possibilities.

I have always been a sound/feel snob... Good results with drivers which are not good in the sound department certainly changed my mind.

Back