YOUR equipment misconceptions?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Thinking about a few ponders lately, and I have recently come across some equipment decisions that have me thinking how WRONG I was previously when thinking about gaming certain types of clubs.

The first is Single Length irons. Personally, I brushed the thought of these aside and wasnt sure why anyone would actually need them. THEN, I hit them. And I realized how wrong I was, as the benefits of single length irons for some golfers can be huge.

The second is CB wedges. I have always preferred a MB wedge because it "looks" like a wedge and I just figured that design was more versatile. After gaming some of the Cleveland RTX CB wedges, I have realized that I am wrong again. Just because it doesnt "look" like the tried and true wedge shape doesnt mean that it's not every bit, if not more, versatile for a golfers wedge game.

Those are my two as of recent, what are some of YOUR equipment misconceptions?

This should be a really fun thread. Good topic.

When I first got back into golf, we were at the start of "low spin!" as the big thing in club design. I thought that was the way to get distance. Now, I do think that we're at a point where most drivers (with some exceptions like the JPX EZ ddec reviewed a couple years go) are pretty much low spin, but at the end of the day it's all about optimizing launch conditions.

Same goes with fairways - a higher spin model is absolutely the right pick for me.

Not as much anymore, but semi recently that higher MOI in a putter didn't really help enough to make a difference.

Man, there have been so many over the years. I might as well make a list.

Only X flex shafts will hold up to my swing

I need a high compression golf ball.

I need a super low spin driver.

Light weight iron shafts go to high.

Set wedges won't work around the greens

I could keep going.

I couldn't possibly benefit from GI irons. Apex CF 16 4i has helped my game alot.

Thinking about a few ponders lately, and I have recently come across some equipment decisions that have me thinking how WRONG I was previously when thinking about gaming certain types of clubs.

The first is Single Length irons. Personally, I brushed the thought of these aside and wasnt sure why anyone would actually need them. THEN, I hit them. And I realized how wrong I was, as the benefits of single length irons for some golfers can be huge.

The second is CB wedges. I have always preferred a MB wedge because it "looks" like a wedge and I just figured that design was more versatile. After gaming some of the Cleveland RTX CB wedges, I have realized that I am wrong again. Just because it doesnt "look" like the tried and true wedge shape doesnt mean that it's not every bit, if not more, versatile for a golfers wedge game.

Just to add to your analogy, the Ping Eye 2 SW was one of the most popular SW's of all time

I used to have a misconception that ALL Callaway clubs were draw biased. Wouldn't even so much as look at them when in a golf store. The top of my bag has contained nothing vut Callaway clubs for the past little over 2 years.

YOUR equipment misconceptions?

Forgiveness in irons implies bulky soles and thick top lines. There is plenty of help in more compact packages like the PTx and CF16.

I stopped by the 19th hole this morning for a coffee with my hooligan friends on the way to check out my sailboat.

There was a guy a couple tables over who I have seen playing out on the course quite a lot since my return to the game. I got stuck behind him all day in a little tournament we had a few weeks ago. The guy swings like a lobster being lowered into boiling water. Anyways, he was going on and on to his friends about needing X-Shafts because his game was being held back with stock stiffs. My buddy leans over and quietly says to me........is that the same guy who was hitting it 50 yards right "all damned day long" a few weeks back?

Classic!

3 years ago I didn't recognize the difference between Tour Edge and the Exotics line.

That my irons need to be bent because of my size...have gone to 3 separate fitters (psychologists) that have all said the same thing...."your clubs do not need to be bent, just stand closer to the ball." I need to find another fitter...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That I could not play a long driver shaft. I'm at the max length now instead of cutting them down, and I hit it further and still hit a lot of fairways.

i need a distance ball. sniffing 100mph means my ss needs lower compression. nope, i need so much spin that i'm playing a very spinny ball and it helps a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That getting fit couldn't make THAT big a difference!

You just described my 2017 bag set up!!!! I am going to be playing the Cobra SL series and the CB Clevelands!!! I have demoed the Cobra Sl's twice in the last week and I am sold....

Not as much anymore, but semi recently that higher MOI in a putter didn't really help enough to make a difference.

I remember before I went to the Cure event in OH and thought they were kind of ugly and there's no way they can work that well, then I played around with them and was blown away but how amazing the high MOI in them was.

I had thought that Titleist drivers were for "better" players. But the 910 D2 I gamed last year was probably the straightest driver I've ever had in the bag, and felt/sounded great.

Lighter shafts don't always improve distance.

I gained considerable yardage with some Nippon Tour Modus 130s & great accuracy, but they were tough on the old joints.

My biggest misconceptions are thinking that the problem is the gear; not my swing. If I just get that new (fill in the blank) - I'll be better. Lol. I started practicing putting....and guess what? I got better.

So, it's me not the clubs. Now I can stop spending so much money and just go play golf with the gear I have. Yeah....right. I don't even believe that, but it sounds good.

That I need a non-set AW. Finding great success whenever I can get one as a part of my gamer set.

I'll have to ponder some others. I know I've bought into some silly logic over the last few years.

Mine was the cb of the RTX 3.0. I've been playing traditional wedges for as long as I can remember but after hearing about the cb RTX wedges, thought I would bite the bullet on it. Had a few issues with the wedge, being a little bigger than my standard look but after a few games I'm starting to get use to them. I went out today and played a quick 9 and for the first time, I'm starting to get more confidence in them. The big face is still a challenge for my eyes but gradually I'm coming around to it. In the feel department, they definitely shine.

Flex point on shafts...I originally thought a low flex point would give low ball flight (I didn't do well in geometry)!!

That companies like Wilson can not create equipment on par with companies like Callaway and TaylorMade. Can't shake the box set stigma from my late teens and early twenties.

That companies like Wilson can not create equipment on par with companies like Callaway and TaylorMade. Can't shake the box set stigma from my late teens and early twenties.
this alone is what is holding the company back. that mindset is hard to shed despite the numerous sets of quality irons that have been released. hopefully the Triton is able to show that Wilson is a player in the premium market. it seems as if the market is judged based on how well the driver does for all companies except for Mizuno.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back