Your Favorite Hollow Body Iron

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Yes, there were earlier hollow body irons, but the real rule breaker was PXG, like the company or hate it. However, TaylorMade gets credit for bringing the hollow body, players distance iron to the masses, with the P790. Now we are seeing almost every major manufacturer with a hollow body iron in its lineup, including the aforementioned PXG, TaylorMade, Ping i500, Titleist (T300?), Mizuno MP20 HMB, Callaway Epic Forged and the list goes on.

Which hollow body iron do you like the best and why?

My 0311T’s perform great, but I’m not a big fan of the screws.

For a while I thought the i500’s were the best looking hollow body blade-looking iron, but they feel hard compared to most other forged clubs.

I have not hit them, but the MP-20 HMB’s are now the best looking to me. Being Mizuno’s, I expect the will feel perfect as well.

Counselor!!!
Honestly I haven’t got one I have not liked. I’ve hit some I’ve loved but they all have some appeal.

Probably p790 for me.

Probably p790 for me.

Plus 1. I don’t know that I have hit any iron better than my P790s with SteelFiber shafts.

bridgestone j15 driving forged and although i've tried some others, nothing has compared. j15df looked awesome, launched and spun exactly the way i would want, and felt great to me (once you got used to the little *tink*). absolutely loved those irons.

P790 was the game changer, but man, the sound leaves something to be desired.

I really don't know. Loved me some TMB but they never made the bag long term. Loved the HMB but not enough to buy (at least right now).

I love the ping i500..... and bought them based a on trackman data.... got fitted and had them in the bag since April... my only complaint is consistency... the 9 and wedge performance are all over the place for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about these new lines of hollow bodied irons, but I do remember my old Browning 440 Plus irons that were hollow bodied, 30 years ago. I loved those things. I could hit the 3 iron 220 yards and the PW was my 150 stick.

I am really trying to love the Miura IC 601, they check all the boxes, but the very wide sole toe side is distracting in the shorter iron.

I just can't get the thought of the EPIC forged with the MCI black shafts built properly out of my head.

I love the idea of hollow bodies, but they almost have to be in long irons. I played the T-MB in 7-PW and got some weird results. I have also seen my friends from Atlanta who all play P790's have a lot of success but have weird balls that go way further than expected at times. One dude hit a 7 iron 20 yards over the green on a 195 yard par 3 and he is a 4 handicap who knows his yardage.

These ones.

I love the idea of hollow bodies, but they almost have to be in long irons. I played the T-MB in 7-PW and got some weird results. I have also seen my friends from Atlanta who all play P790's have a lot of success but have weird balls that go way further than expected at times. One dude hit a 7 iron 20 yards over the green on a 195 yard par 3 and he is a 4 handicap who knows his yardage.

Yeah I tested the p790 .... and the yardage gaps were pushing 25 yards per club

4 - 7 irons (8 - PW are not hollow-bodied) in the Hogan PTx Pro set are fantastic.

I'd have to vote for the P790 as they're the only set I've hit, and own.

I still go back and forth between them and my CF-16's as I pretty much like them equally (ever so slight nod presently to the CF-16).

I don't know about these new lines of hollow bodied irons, but I do remember my old Browning 440 Plus irons that were hollow bodied, 30 years ago. I loved those things. I could hit the 3 iron 220 yards and the PW was my 150 stick.
I do not remember these being hollow. Low profile.

588 Altitude
G700

The only ones I've owned are Srixon U65. Not really the intent of this thread, but amazing nonetheless. I have been playing forged irons for a long time, but this year honestly is the first time I've had more serious interest in possibly moving to hollow body. HMB, F9, P790, all have amazing tech. I'm keen to hit the HMB's and the new Cobra's.

Just hit the mizuno mp hmb’s today & really liked them, kicking myself for not comparing the p790’s to them. Looking forward to seeing if Ping has a follow up to the i500’s in the new year

some rumors floating around have me thinking i may have a new favorite in this category very soon...

some rumors floating around have me thinking i may have a new favorite in this category very soon...

For hollow body, I believe the Apex are hollow, and those are fantastic. I’ve also tried the i500’s and they were surprisingly good to me.

Back