Your Favorite Hollow Body Iron

The Cleveland 588 MT might still be up there for me. The way you could blend those with the TT and altitude was fantastic. Ahead of their time.

Loved the Cobra F6 irons. The long irons were crazy easy to hit.

Tour Edge Exotics CB PROh 3-7 (8-pw are solid). Great set of irons that are still part of the rotation.

Tour Edge Hot Launch 4.

3-6, as I have the "regular" cavity back HL4 7-AW.

Cleveland Launcher HBs were awesome as well, but I liked the graphite shafts a LOT better in my HL4's.

Apex CF19s. Superb irons.

Apex are hollow body ?

Thought they were a normal cavity back

I knew there was some sort of pocket that is filled with Callaway’s microspheres, but, I, too, have thought of the Apex CF 19’s as more of a cavity back iron. I could be wrong, though.

I knew there was some sort of pocket that is filled with Callaway’s microspheres, but, I, too, have thought of the Apex CF 19’s as more of a cavity back iron. I could be wrong, though.

Correct. They are not hollow body in a traditional sense, but they are not completely not hollow either. Multi material construction kind of does that To clubs.

I've owned PXG, 790, I500 and now HMB. They are all good except I hated the I500. I do think HMB looks the best.

I've owned PXG, 790, I500 and now HMB. They are all good except I hated the I500. I do think HMB looks the best.

What did you hate about the i500s?

I may need to change my answer.

I had the i500 as a rental set today and they were absolutely stellar for me. The forgiveness in an iron that profile was ridiculous.

Cobra King Utility Iron. :love:

Cobra Utility.jpg

Apex are hollow body ?

Thought they were a normal cavity back
Perhaps I misunderstand the term. I know the irons are filled with microspheres. I figured if there’s space that can be filled it’s hollow body.

Love my MP H5 3 iron that I use as a driving iron. Also pretty damn good from the fairway

Easy for me.

Cleveland Altitudes.

Perhaps I misunderstand the term. I know the irons are filled with microspheres. I figured if there’s space that can be filled it’s hollow body.

I could see the term being fuzzy. I believe the oem’s classify hollow body as the entire cavity from top line to sole as being an enclosed pocket.
Clubs like the P790, G500, G700, HL4, HB Turbo, UHX, etc all fit into that category.

Easy for me.

Cleveland Altitudes.

I can’t kick mine out of the bag.

Put them back in a few weeks ago and took my cap to an 8.5 which is my personal best.

Shined them up with a green scotch Brite pad yesterday.

2E82DF6B-61FE-4CC2-BAB7-666DBA5D9F28.jpeg

I really like these hollow irons in the long irons.

That said some thoughts:
P790: too light of head weight. Needed to cake on lead tape just to get to d2 for both my 2 and 4 iron.
U85: probably one of the easiest long irons I've ever hit. Ball just wanted to get in the air
Cobra Utility: I had these in one length. These irons felt fast. When hit out of the middle the ball just jumps off the face
T-MB: probably the hardest of this class of irons to hit. Hated the feel off the face. The 718 was better, but for the upcharge for being titleist I would avoid.
HMB: similar to cobra utility with a jumpy feel out of the middle.
I500: similar to the tmb with this oddly hard feeling.

Right now favorites are the cobra utility and HMB for feel. The only knock for the cobra utility is how upright it is and changing the loft puts it even more upright.

I haven't gone lower than 5 iron in these sets. They go so far....

I have some extensive experience with hollow body irons as my TM Tour Preferred set from 1987 had hollow 2-4 iron and I’ve had either one or two hollow long irons from Mizuno or Titleist in my bag ever since. I’m hoping my new favorite will be the Callaway Epic Forged 4 iron that I just ordered this weekend. If I love it I will entertain playing these in a 5 and 6 iron as well.

Hollow body seems to be the talk of a lot of conversations. Specifically hybrid irons.
I think we should do some testing coming up. Maybe put some sets in Albatross Club Members hands, including some people don't know about yet.

With better sound, I am warming to the idea of these hollow body players distance irons. I might even find I like more game improvement categories in hollow body as well. I don't need extra distance or help getting the ball up in the air and hit long irons well. But what if I hit more consistent shots and score better with one of these hollow body irons sets? I look at the Cobra T-rail and think "no way" but don't have any data for the reaction. It's probably more of an ego response than anything. Clubs like the p790, i500, HMB, etc. look better to my eye and yet I still have anti-reactions based simply on generic narratives that pop up: too long, fliers, not enough spin, ... However given that my goal is scoring better, I should probably try to keep more of an open mind.

Hollow body seems to be the talk of a lot of conversations. Specifically hybrid irons.
I think we should do some testing coming up. Maybe put some sets in Albatross Club Members hands, including some people don't know about yet.

This sounds like it would be a great follow.

Back